• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pen-sized voice recorder?

Alpine

What's the current consensus on best/affordable small pen-format or other small voice recorders to use?

Not a pen sized one but close: when I went by Costco today they had an HD video and sound Samsung recorder with a micro SD card slot (expandable to 32gb) on sale for 75$. It's about the size of a pack of cards and could easily fit in a shirt pocket if you weren't holding it. Heck, you could probably rig up a little hole for the video on it or just use it for audio if you couldn't have it in your hands.

Something else you might want to consider, you can also get video/sound recorders that look exactly like bluetooth headsets that set on your ear and work basically the same way -- streaming to your phone. Rig up your phone to dropbox and/or SkyDrive and you have a lot of constant storage for recording anything you see. The best part is anyone looking at it will think it's a hands-free headset for your phone.

hermannr

I don't know where you would purchase it, but I saw a add for a glasses frames with a recorder, video built in. Would work if you wear glasses. (or sun glasses)

TechnoWeenie

Yes, everyday items contain cameras with audio/video recording devices. I EDC at least 2.

QiK is a free app that you can download for your smartphone (Android).

It RECORDS video, and simultaneously streams and uploads it to a remote server, so a cop can't just delete your video, it's on another server.

Rombough

I don't know where you would purchase it, but I saw a add for a glasses frames with a recorder, video built in. Would work if you wear glasses. (or sun glasses)

That is the New Google Glasses Project, they are not on the market yet. They will be like your cell phone and a Voice/Cam recorder in one. & will set you back more then your normal riffle will.
https://plus.google.com/+projectglass/posts

amzbrady

I had purchased a pen cam, and sunglasses cam from bensoutlet.com. The pen cams battery gave out about 5 months after having it. It is now a 2 gig flash drive that I can not find a refill for. The sunglasses lasted longer but the external micro card slot stopped holding the card in. And now the battery wont charge on it either. They were slanted a bit so they actually recorded higher than you were looking, maybe my ears are off, Idunno. Descent sound and video quality though.