Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Prowlers

Car Prowlers

Well... The girlfriends sister comes running downstairs at 0230 In the morning barging into her room telling me to grab my gun quick there are people looking into our cars. Come to find out there were two teen aged kids dressed in all black walking by real slow staring up at the house as well as into out car windows. Well by the time I got dressed and outside they were long gone. Probably because the girlfriend sister went running out side yelling "yeah you better run, dont come back to our f****** house"!

Boy did I have a hard time falling back to sleep after that. All I could think about was those punks were going to come back and mess with things. I was going to call the sheriffs, but I didn't witness anything. Probably wouldn't of hurt just to show a presence of a deputy in the neighborhood...

Car prowls are increasing in my area, I expect to see more activity like this.

A phone call would of been a good start. I would still make a call to the non-emergency number with a time and date of what happened.

When they get calls they can track these thugs and the direction/pattern they may be traveling. They may send through extra patrols and they generally will if you request such a patrol. This may help deter their actions in your neighborhood and move them on to the next....
    Live Free or Die!

- or -

"Front toward enemy" .... nuf said.
    Last edited by Batousaii; 11-19-2012 at 01:49 AM.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Quote Originally Posted by Batousaii View Post
    "Front toward enemy" .... nuf said.
    Lethal man-traps are illegal in most places.

Something like this though, loaded with 6mm paintballs containing the sort of indelible dye banks use, however...

http://www.amazon.com/Airsoft-M18A1-.../dp/B0046VIJ9I

Consider this...

LINK REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: "Spring-traps" are almost universally illegal (I do not claim to know the laws of every state) and thus run afoul of our rule against advocating for illegal activity

Ok...not sure about the spring traps... ??

So...a automatic paintball gun that tracks targets inside a certain distance and lobs non-lethal object would be illegal??
    Last edited by carolina guy; 11-19-2012 at 04:10 PM.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Good God!
    Iím proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    Lethal man-traps are illegal in most places.
    - i presumed people would have the capability to realise i was joking... you can not legaly own an M18A1 claymore mine much less employ one in an urban area.

The paintball version is way cool, and I have seen the auto-tracking airsoft setups too - those are great and I have considered one for my shop.
    Last edited by Batousaii; 11-19-2012 at 11:00 AM.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

- i presumed people would have the capability to realise i was joking... you can not legaly own an M18A1 claymore mine much less employ one in an urban area.

The paintball version is way cool, and I have seen the auto-tracking airsoft setups too - those are great and I have considered one for my shop.
    Get ones with UV dyes so that the perp might be identified later.

The CS/pepper ones might get you into trouble.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    -----how-to/build-motion-detector-fire-paintball-gun------

Or similar. :-)
    Really! What a stupid post to suggest something illegal if someone was to do this.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Be careful on issues related to car prowls and using ones firearm, remember the fellow in Seattle a couple years ago, shot and killed a car prowler from his window and I think he is still sitting in prison for it.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Get ones with UV dyes so that the perp might be identified later.

The CS/pepper ones might get you into trouble.
    The one i seen used a airsoft plastic bb styled. It was really cool. Followed the target, spoke with a computer voice throug a little speaker and everything...
    ~ In all reality I'd be leary of using anything like that for liability reasons, if i ever employed one, it would be inside my locked shop and just use UV or something annoying, non harmful. I know things like that can be trouble and I dont see myself doing it. The thought however ........ tickles me.
    Last edited by Batousaii; 11-19-2012 at 04:10 PM.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    ~

For certain call the non-emergency number and report it. I report everything and anything like that, they just take my name and address and what's going on and (hopefully) it gets logged. with enough calls/activity, they will likely act on it sooner or later.

in the meantime, I would suggest video surveillance of some sort, game cameras are small and inexpensive. Make sure the car's locked and remove anything valuable. I also use the club. Sounds all too simple but most break in's are crimes of opportunity and we all get lazy sometimes, myself included. don't give them the opportunity when possible.

Hook your alarm in to your performance stereo system, record some gawd awful horror movie scream . Then with some servos and handywork, maybe motion a detector, have some crazy rubber zombie jump up from the back seat and scream, Have it timed with strobes and some crazy evil laughing at the end so it all happens at once if someone jars the car to hard, breaks glass or opens a window. Or have it manually trigger by remote so you could watch it from the balcony.

- That would get em away from your car for sure.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    ~

Car Prowlers

Hook your alarm in to your performance stereo system, record some gawd awful horror movie scream . Then with some servos and handywork, maybe motion a detector, have some crazy rubber zombie jump up from the back seat and scream, Have it timed with strobes and some crazy evil laughing at the end so it all happens at once if someone jars the car to hard, breaks glass or opens a window. Or have it manually trigger by remote so you could watch it from the balcony.

Haha, this system would probably cost more than the car itself.

I agree with those who have said to call the police. You may also think about getting a CLUB for the steering wheel. If they're thinking about stealing a car they usually pick an easy target.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Haha, this system would probably cost more than the car itself.

I agree with those who have said to call the police. You may also think about getting a CLUB for the steering wheel. If they're thinking about stealing a car they usually pick an easy target.
    I recall an enlisted man's car in the shipyard parking lot at PSNS. I believe the owner was an Electronics Tech, as he had a proximity alarm. If you got within three feet, a computerized voice would exclaim "YOU ARE TOO CLOSE, BACK AWAY" If you did not move away immediately, it ould repeat the warning. After the third warning hte voice would say "ALRIGHT, YOU HAVE PISSED ME OFF!" Then the alarm would go off, Bells, siren and horn all at once. A lot of fun was had sending unsuspecting victims over to the car...

Either that or some might just come back with 3'long pieces of rebar and beat the crap out of the car.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Banned
    Put a photo of rose o'donnell on the dash .. the peepers will tear their own eyes out !

Last edited by sirpuma; 11-22-2012 at 11:36 AM.

1. Alarm with prox sensor. First time to get to close sets of pre-alert (4 chirps), if you get close enough to cup your hands over the window, it goes full stage (air horn, siren,etc).

2. Mount a 120db+ siren INSIDE the car. If they manage to break in, it'll completely F with their senses.. That ish is painful.

3. Get a legitimate siren (Federal Signal, Whelen, etc) where legal, that ONLY comes on with the alarm. People ignore a chinsy 6 tone alarm, they WILL look to see a 200W+ siren on wail/yelp/etc.

Personally, I have an airhorn on mine, in addition to a prox sensor. You can hear the horn from probably about a 1/2 mile away... Federal Signal SS2000 FTMFW.

It's also helpful in getting people OFF of your car, when they choose to sit on it..

That being said, if I catch someone in my car, I will assume they will use force to prevent being captured. I will not hesitate in defending myself if they have a metal object in their hand and they do anything other than drop it and lay on the ground. They've already shown a propensity for violence by breaking into a vehicle, I won't give them a chance to hurt me.
    Last edited by TechnoWeenie; 11-24-2012 at 07:36 PM.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Car Prowlers

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Be careful on issues related to car prowls and using ones firearm, remember the fellow in Seattle a couple years ago, shot and killed a car prowler from his window and I think he is still sitting in prison for it.
    I agree. He got nine months prison on a second degree manslaughter charge. He claimed that he thought the prowler was armed, but that didn't help because he took a plea deal rather than face a potential two year sentence.

http://www.seattlepi.com/default/art...ing-884723.php

Quote Originally Posted by boatswain View Post
    I agree. He got nine months prison on a second degree manslaughter charge. He claimed that he thought the prowler was armed, but that didn't help because he took a plea deal rather than face a potential two year sentence.

http://www.seattlepi.com/default/art...ing-884723.php
    Hell, if I see someone prowling my car, I figure they are trying to steal the car.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Know your state's laws!! Texas specifically lists 'criminal mischief AT NIGHT' as legal use of deadly force.

Had a similar situation here once when punk kids were egging peoples cars. I heard them outside and quietly stepped out on front porch with lights off. Got their attention by racking pump shotgun!!! Think they wet themselves!
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

~ Everyone loves a screamer...

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeenie View Post
    <snip>
    3. Get a legitimate siren (Federal Signal, Whelen, etc) where legal, that ONLY comes on with the alarm. People ignore a chinsy 6 tone alarm, they WILL look to see a 200W+ siren on wail/yelp/etc.
    I installed an extra alarm cone (siren) inside the cabin of my integra. Super SUPER annoying and uncomfortably loud. It is well hidden and hard to reach so it's a pain to disarm. It also has a kill system, so the vehicle can not be started without knowing how.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    ~

I installed an extra alarm cone (siren) inside the cabin of my integra. Super SUPER annoying and uncomfortably loud. It is well hidden and hard to reach so it's a pain to disarm. It also has a kill system, so the vehicle can not be started without knowing how.
    Make sure it's legal before you use it http://amazing1.com/shocking_electric_modules.htm
    I have thought about hooking that up to a car.

Personally....

I think the South Africans have the best ant-car theft system out there...

they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast