• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Car Prowlers

Freedom1Man

mark-in-texas

Know your state's laws!! Texas specifically lists 'criminal mischief AT NIGHT' as legal use of deadly force.

Had a similar situation here once when punk kids were egging peoples cars. I heard them outside and quietly stepped out on front porch with lights off. Got their attention by racking pump shotgun!!! Think they wet themselves! :banana::lol:

Batousaii

~ Everyone loves a screamer...

<snip>
3. Get a legitimate siren (Federal Signal, Whelen, etc) where legal, that ONLY comes on with the alarm. People ignore a chinsy 6 tone alarm, they WILL look to see a 200W+ siren on wail/yelp/etc.

I installed an extra alarm cone (siren) inside the cabin of my integra. Super SUPER annoying and uncomfortably loud. It is well hidden and hard to reach so it's a pain to disarm. It also has a kill system, so the vehicle can not be started without knowing how.

Freedom1Man

I installed an extra alarm cone (siren) inside the cabin of my integra. Super SUPER annoying and uncomfortably loud. It is well hidden and hard to reach so it's a pain to disarm. It also has a kill system, so the vehicle can not be started without knowing how.

Make sure it's legal before you use it http://amazing1.com/shocking_electric_modules.htm
I have thought about hooking that up to a car.

EMNofSeattle

Personally....

I think the South Africans have the best ant-car theft system out there...

[video=youtube;LQbHnLSasfQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQbHnLSasfQ&feature=related[/video]

Batousaii

Make sure it's legal before you use it http://amazing1.com/shocking_electric_modules.htm
I have thought about hooking that up to a car.

Mine doesn't shock anyone. It just is a large cone shaped speaker that floods the cabin with a shreiking toned siren sound. It's the same as the one under the hood. The other system simply disables the ignition & ecu so the car wont create a spark. I also have a removable stearing wheel. You would literaly have to tow it to steal it.

LoL @ GoGo .. I love the trunk monkeyz!!

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

I would've known my date's father lending me his car is a trap....

not only that, but if the boyfriend is pulled over and the loaded shotgun is put in the back seat I doubt the officer would believe it belonged to the trunk monkey, it's the perfect system for fathers everywhere....

sudden valley gunner

I agree. He got nine months prison on a second degree manslaughter charge. He claimed that he thought the prowler was armed, but that didn't help because he took a plea deal rather than face a potential two year sentence.

http://www.seattlepi.com/default/article/Man-sentenced-to-9-months-in-prison-for-shooting-884723.php

All this tells me is the prosecutor used our tax payer dollars to convict someone a lot poorer.

I believe it is around 95% of all convictions are bribes from the prosecutor I mean plea's.

SeattleWingsfan

Just thought since this was a car prowler thread....

I closed shop thursday for the weekend. Came in this morning and noticed the fence outside the shop was cut. The trunk on my Eagle Talon was open with the spare tire holding it open. Driver door lock punched out. 400 dollar Stereo gone, 800 dollar programable ECU gone, 500 dollar electronic boost controller gone, 600 dollars in gauges gone.

However nothing under the hood was messed with. Who ever stole it all didn't know what the stuff was. they probably thought it was stereo equipment or they would have poped the hood and took the coorisponding parts. Luckily my customers cars and my Durango did not get broke into.

As I was walking around with one of the Lakewood LEOs making the report. I said "whoever took the stuff, better hope I don't find out who it is". He smiled. He had already seen my HK hat and Sig on my side. before someone comments, it was said in jest and he knew it.

He liked the fact that I had a list of potential suspects including drivers license numbers ready for him. When I think someone that comes in as a customer is questionable I include drivers license as a field on the repair order. One of which tried to bring me stolen car parts last week to put on his car. I never told the kid I knew they were stolen just told him I didn't install customer supplied parts. It's possible because I cut my losses with this kid and told him I wasn't interested in fixing his car, that he took it when He towed his car away over the weekend while I was closed.

But you never know lakewood isn't the best area.

rapgood

LINK REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: "Spring-traps" are almost universally illegal (I do not claim to know the laws of every state) and thus run afoul of our rule against advocating for illegal activity

Spring traps (the lethal kind) are unlawful in Washington State.

bmg50cal

Ever heard of bird spikes? If the vehicle is parked on private property install some bird spikes alongside the vehicle. Make your own "big bird spikes" to keep away large pests, drive a bunch of 16D nails through some structural panels (ply, OSB) and lay them alongside the entry points of the vehicle. They might just work pretty well in the dark on large pigeons that wear soft shoes.

Caltrops are another option. ;)

mark-in-texas

Back in the 'old days' ('50s) up North it was common for folks to run a cord out to their cars and put a light bulb under the hood to keep the engine 'warm' during the winter nights. My great grandpa added a neon light transformer hooked up to the frame (disconnected the battery). He said that on more than one occasion he heard someone howl in pain for trying the door handles! :lol:

ApacheBunny

Been almost over a year since I last posted the "college life" but within that time my car has been broken into twice, second time it was stolen and recovered, this is where my costant bad luck comes into play, I had already bought a new car and the next day they found the stolen car abandoned. Car prowling has been getting worse in Spokane there has been atleast 8 thefts and break ins in my area and no one has cared to clean up the busted out glass either lol. Oh well as soon as one of them gets shot for car prowling this area will see less of it I won't be pulling the trigger since a violent beat down would suffice.

Last edited: