• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC. Panic attack.

MikeTheGreek

currently OC ing for my first time somewhere that isnt autozone or work or any place they don't know me very well. I'm nervous and shaking, but so far so good. sitting here eating my quarter pounder, just a few strange looks.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

rob31567

Dont feel bad. I had the jitters my first time carrying in places like walmart and our mall. Youll be fine bro. Carry on.....:)

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

PistolPackingMomma

Take a few deep breaths, try some relaxation techniques if you know any, and look into maybe OC'ing with a buddy until you feel a bit more comfortable. (Is there someone you can call to join you?)

The first few times I OC'ed, it helped me to really observe people, and after about twenty minutes, I realized no one was really paying attention to me, and watching them took my mind off my nervousness. You might feel like there's a giant neon light on your hip, but that goes away with time and consistency.

Good luck, and try to have fun!

MikeTheGreek

Dont feel bad. I had the jitters my first time carrying in places like walmart and our mall. Youll be fine bro. Carry on.....:)

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

I dropped about 15 fries before putting them in my mouth because I was so nervous, I'm lucky nobody thought I was on drugs and called the cops. It wasn't too bad.

Take a few deep breaths, try some relaxation techniques if you know any, and look into maybe OC'ing with a buddy until you feel a bit more comfortable. (Is there someone you can call to join you?)

The first few times I OC'ed, it helped me to really observe people, and after about twenty minutes, I realized no one was really paying attention to me, and watching them took my mind off my nervousness. You might feel like there's a giant neon light on your hip, but that goes away with time and consistency.

Good luck, and try to have fun!

I took a few deep breaths, and looked around, noticed about 15 people around me and only one seemed to notice my gun. The workers at the register saw it but looked away quickly like it was a normal thing they see all the time. All in all, good first OC.

Michigander

No need to push it, seriously. As others have told you, folks like myself and many others would be happy to meet up with you to OC with you as you get more acclimated to the concept.

The reality is that OCing should be regarded more as the sort of carry that a well equipped expert should do daily, whereas laws aside, CCing would be the best bet for those with less experience but who at least understand gun safety.

In any case, PLEASE be careful, take it slow and easy, and ask for help if you want or need it.

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

No need to push it, seriously. As others have told you, folks like myself and many others would be happy to meet up with you to OC with you as you get more acclimated to the concept.

The reality is that OCing should be regarded more as the sort of carry that a well equipped expert should do daily, whereas laws aside, CCing would be the best bet for those with less experience but who at least understand gun safety.

In any case, PLEASE be careful, take it slow and easy, and ask for help if you want or need it.

I DO plan on attending OC gatherings and stuff, or seeing if anyone else from this site lives around me (Although I don't think anyone does)

As for now, I'm taking it slow. I'm definitely ready to OC, I was just a bit nervous my first time.

I really have no interest in CC, for many reasons (My gun being too big, comfort, draw speed, etc) & since I want to go to the Police Academy soon, I want to get used to openly carrying a firearm on my hip daily.

Michigander

I don't know where you're planning on applying, but I can assure you that a "rap sheet" on LEIN 4 miles long (figuratively speaking) will make it incredibly difficult to become a cop. That will red flag the agencies involved in your background check, and further red flag the psychologist who will be evaluating you, that is if you get that far.

Unless you know someone who will be pushing you along into a cop job, I would strongly suggest not OCing, especially in circumstances where there is a chance you will be getting stopped.

All that said, make up your own mind, I just hope it all works out for you. If you'd like I definitely can meet up with you. All I need to do is mosey on over to 696 and head over your way, not too big of a deal. Easiest to do in the evening for me, don't know about you. Starbucks in Novi or something, for example, would probably be easy for both of us.

MikeTheGreek

I don't know where you're planning on applying, but I can assure you that a "rap sheet" on LEIN 4 miles long (figuratively speaking) will make it incredibly difficult to become a cop. That will red flag the agencies involved in your background check, and further red flag the psychologist who will be evaluating you, that is if you get that far.

Unless you know someone who will be pushing you along into a cop job, I would strongly suggest not OCing, especially in circumstances where there is a chance you will be getting stopped.

All that said, make up your own mind, I just hope it all works out for you. If you'd like I definitely can meet up with you. All I need to do is mosey on over to 696 and head over your way, not too big of a deal. Easiest to do in the evening for me, don't know about you. Starbucks in Novi or something, for example, would probably be easy for both of us.

Never been arrested or had any problems with the law, if I'm stopped for OCing I plan on being extremely respectful and polite, so I don't think I'll have any problems. I plan on trying to get into the Wayne County Sheriff in about 6-8 months. I know a few sheriffs/ex sheriffs so I shouldn't have too much of a problem getting in.

There are also a ton of other places I could apply to if needed, Northville PD, Livonia PD, any other county sheriff, or even Detroit PD of I was desperate.

Thank you for the offer, I'll definitely let you know and probably take you up on that one day.

FreeInAZ

Fyi

Never been arrested or had any problems with the law, if I'm stopped for OCing I plan on being extremely respectful and polite, so I don't think I'll have any problems. I plan on trying to get into the Wayne County Sheriff in about 6-8 months. I know a few sheriffs/ex sheriffs so I shouldn't have too much of a problem getting in.

There are also a ton of other places I could apply to if needed, Northville PD, Livonia PD, any other county sheriff, or even Detroit PD of I was desperate.

Thank you for the offer, I'll definitely let you know and probably take you up on that one day.

Mike -

I think you are missing Michiganders point. He speaks from experience. Whenever you have contact with police the "event" however benign, gets recorded in the LEIN system FOREVER. This is why OCers like myself try at all costs short of arrest, not to be ID'd, so we can maintain a clear record. Once you are in the system, it gets exponentially difficult to get out, even if you have done nothing wrong. I have also been told by friends in the police profession that many police local agencies maintain and share their own separate databases outside of the LEIN system. So even if you could FOIA the LEIN system to find out if there was any negative data & attempt to get it removed, you'll still be in their "local" database which they keep "off the books" shielded from FOIA law.

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

Mike -

I think you are missing Michiganders point. He speaks from experience. Whenever you have contact with police the "event" however benign, gets recorded in the LEIN system FOREVER. This is why OCers like myself try at all costs short of arrest, not to be ID'd, so we can maintain a clear record. Once you are in the system, it gets exponentially difficult to get out, even if you have done nothing wrong. I have also been told be friends in the police profession that many police local agencies maintain and share their own separate databases outside of the LEIN system. So even if you could FOIA the LEIN system to find out if there was any negative data & attempt to get it removed, you'll still be in their "local" database which they keep "off the books" shielded from FOIA law.

Ahhh, okay now I understand, thank you. I'll try my best to avoid being ID'd by anyone unless absolutely necessary. I guess it's hard to balance OC Support with wanting to be a Police Officer :p

I may be joining you in AZ soon! haha.

FreeInAZ

Ahhh, okay now I understand, thank you. I'll try my best to avoid being ID'd by anyone unless absolutely necessary. I guess it's hard to balance OC Support with wanting to be a Police Officer :p

I may be joining you in AZ soon! haha.

You'll love it here if you do come out. The Police are much more professional here in more opinion. Example: a co-worker of my wife was transporting her pistol on her back seat floor mat, for some reason? She got pulled over for speeding by a LEO. He gave her the ticket, looked in the rear window and said "what's the pistol for?" she said protection. "He smiled and said nice gun." [M&P 9c] and that was that and left. In MI depending on the PD, it most likely would have turned into a felony prone stop. :shocker:

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

You'll love it here if you do come out. The Police are much more professional here in more opinion. Example: a co-worker of my wife was transporting her pistol on her back seat floor mat, for some reason? She got pulled over for speeding by a LEO. He gave her the ticket, looked in the rear window and said "what's the pistol for?" she said protection. "He smiled and said nice gun." [M&P 9c] and that was that and left. In MI depending on the PD, it most likely would have turned into a felony prone stop. :shocker:

Sounds amazing. My problem with AZ is...being Canadian..I need at least SOME snow. Which is why I was thinking, if I'm moving, I might go to TN. Their gun laws are...decent, and the weathers nice :p

FreeInAZ

Sounds amazing. My problem with AZ is...being Canadian..I need at least SOME snow. Which is why I was thinking, if I'm moving, I might go to TN. Their gun laws are...decent, and the weathers nice :p

It does snow in AZ MIke. Flagstaff is in the Mountains and it gets really cold there and it snows too. ;)

It will be in the 50's there today, while just 2hours to the south where I am at it will be nearly 80. :D

griffin

1273109875qlk96L.jpg
PC232284.JPG
Car-stuck-in-snow.jpg
SnowPush_t500.jpg
genthumb-ashx.jpeg
snow-car-crash.jpg
628x471.jpg

another-car-stuck-in-newark.jpg

FreeInAZ

Nice use of pics Griff. :D Where I'm at the people even freak out driving when it rains even remotely hard! God, I hope it never snows in the valley of the sun. It will be gridlock and chaos for a week following a flurry. :p