• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick question about places that sell liquor.

MikeTheGreek

I know I cant OC inside a place that sells liquor, BUT, if I'm driving home from work, and stop for gas, but my weapon is obviously locked and unloaded in my trunk, would that still be illegal? I often go to Coney Islands after work for dinner and I know i cant OC in there without my CPL because they do serve beer, so I'm just wondering if I'm good to go if I leave my gun in my trunk.

I tried to look for the laws and other things regarding this, but for some reason I either couldn't find them, or didnt really understand them.

Michigander

Some interpret it as being okay, others do not.

In order to be safe, I suggest not doing it.

As I mentioned elsewhere the fact is if you're not OCing you're not so likely to get searched, but remember we walk a fine line anyway, so I would suggest not doing it.

The lucky thing for you is that with how expensive it is to get a liquor license, there are plenty of restaurants and gas stations that don't have them, that would if this state was freer.

MCL 750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 234d.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

SpringerXDacp

I know I cant OC inside a place that sells liquor, BUT, if I'm driving home from work, and stop for gas, but my weapon is obviously locked and unloaded in my trunk, would that still be illegal? I often go to Coney Islands after work for dinner and I know i cant OC in there without my CPL because they do serve beer, so I'm just wondering if I'm good to go if I leave my gun in my trunk.

I tried to look for the laws and other things regarding this, but for some reason I either couldn't find them, or didnt really understand them.

If possible, park as close as you can in a lot, area, along the curb, etc, that's not dedicated to the licensed venue.

MikeTheGreek

Some interpret it as being okay, others do not.

In order to be safe, I suggest not doing it.

As I mentioned elsewhere the fact is if you're not OCing you're not so likely to get searched, but remember we walk a fine line anyway, so I would suggest not doing it.

The lucky thing for you is that with how expensive it is to get a liquor license, there are plenty of restaurants and gas stations that don't have them, that would if this state was freer.

The Coney Island I go to is in a strip mall, so I guess technically I could park 5 spots down in front of the Video Game store..although I don't like my car being out of site when my firearm is in it.

Also, I'll have to call some gas stations and see which ones don't sell alcohol.

I'm going to take in my CPL Application Friday afternoon so hopefully I won't have to worry about this crap for too much longer.

FreeInAZ

The Coney Island I go to is in a strip mall, so I guess technically I could park 5 spots down in front of the Video Game store..although I don't like my car being out of site when my firearm is in it.

Also, I'll have to call some gas stations and see which ones don't sell alcohol.

I'm going to take in my CPL Application Friday afternoon so hopefully I won't have to worry about this crap for too much longer.

Be advised: Even some gas stations that do not sell booze, may still have a liquor license! See the thread on MSP asking for CPL's when they see OCers at Meijer's, Speedway gas stations etc..

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...structed-to-check-CPL-s&p=1854574#post1854574

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Remember permission is an exceptions to this statute. If you frequent a gas station and they sell alcohol, you can try and get written permission from the owner or their agent to have a firearm on site. GET IT IN WRITING. I suggest a generic permission slip you print out and have them sign. This may be hard to do, but worth a try.
PERMISSION TO POSSES A FIREARM

The undersigned as an Agent/Owner of this establishment, (Name of business), do hereby give permission to Mike the Greek to posses a firearm on these premises.

__________Agent/Owner Date__________

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator

As long as the parking lot is shared, I seriously doubt where you park is going to make a difference. If it were me, I'd probably park as close to the front door as I can get.

However, I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. And it's been months since I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. :)

MikeTheGreek

As long as the parking lot is shared, I seriously doubt where you park is going to make a difference. If it were me, I'd probably park as close to the front door as I can get.

However, I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. And it's been months since I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. :)

I believe in a strip mall-type structure, the parking spaces so not belong to any ONE business, so I should be okay. I definitely want my car as close to the door as possible if my firearm is inside.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

I believe in a strip mall-type structure, the parking spaces so not belong to any ONE business, so I should be okay. I definitely want my car as close to the door as possible if my firearm is inside.

Mike - you have to be careful, here's why: Most businesses based in a strip mall lease the store-front they are not the property owners per-se. Again there is a lot to learn. I just so happen to know of a fellow here who wrote a book on MI OC. Michigander knows him well and can probably get him to send you a electronic copy for nothing or next to it. ;)

MikeTheGreek

Mike - you have to be careful, here's why: Most businesses based in a strip mall lease the store-front they are not the property owners per-se. Again there is a lot to learn. I just so happen to know of a fellow here who wrote a book on MI OC. Michigander knows him well and can probably get him to send you a electronic copy for nothing or next to it. ;)

Don't need a free copy :p If someone gets me the link I'll order it tomorrow, whatever the price!

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Unless someone puts a sign in front of those spaces saying they are for that establishment, I think it would be a tough sell to say anyone who parked there was going to a certain store.

FreeInAZ

Unless someone puts a sign in front of those spaces saying they are for that establishment, I think it would be a tough sell to say anyone who parked there was going to a certain store.

Al - while I don't disagree, remember we advocate lawful carry. If he parks in the lot of a strip mall that one of the lease holders had a liquor license he "could be" in trouble while open carrying until he gets his CPL. I have personally had an officer attempt to strong arm the manager of a restaurant into saying they didn't want OCers. Fortunately the manager on duty said "he and his family eat here all the time and he is no threat to anyone, besides it's our policy to follow state law". With that the officer left red faced. You are from the rough and tumble streets of Mason (nice town); and I am sure most LE there attempt to follow the law. Mike runs in WAYNE Co. which has more than it's fair share of anti-OC LE officers in my experience there. Hell, I personally know of one police chief in the downriver area that sent officers to local businesses just to tell them that they did not have to allow OCers in their stores. This was after the President & VP of MOC had met with the chief and the cities command officers. :confused:

Here is a prime example of the mentality of some of the officers in Wayne Co.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2xOpF4z_v0&feature=channel&list=UL

My point: let's take the conservative path with Mike on what we advise him to do until he gets his CPL; considering the areas he frequents.;)

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

Al - while I don't disagree, remember we advocate lawful carry. If he parks in the lot of a strip mall that one of the lease holders had a liquor license he "could be" in trouble while open carrying until he gets his CPL. I have personally had an officer attempt to strong arm the manager of a restaurant into saying they didn't want OCers. Fortunately the manager on duty said "he and his family eat here all the time and he is no threat to anyone, besides it's our policy to follow state law". With that the officer left red faced. You are from the rough and tumble streets of Mason (nice town); and I am sure most LE there attempt to follow the law. Mike runs in WAYNE Co. which has more than it's fair share of anti-OC LE officers in my experience there. Hell, I personally know of one police chief in the downriver area that sent officers to local businesses just to tell them that they did not have to allow OCers in their stores. This was after the President & VP of MOC had met with the chief and the cities command officers. :confused:

Here is a prime example of the mentality of some of the officers in Wayne Co.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2xOpF4z_v0&feature=channel&list=UL

My point: let's take the conservative path with Mike on what we advise him to do until he gets his CPL; considering the areas he frequents.;)

My class is in 2 days and hopefully my cpl doesn't take too long to get processed.... until then I'm going to steer clear of any places I'm not 100% sure about o.o

MikeTheGreek

While some will disagree, your best bet is to get a CPL so you don't have to worry about technicalities. There are too many "What ifs" if you OC without one.

I didn't think I'd ever want a CPL. After loading/unloading my firearm 5 times in an hour to put it in my trunk, I quickly changed my mind. I'll be so glad when I can have the comfort of my gun on my side while I'm driving.

FreeInAZ

My class is in 2 days and hopefully my cpl doesn't take too long to get processed.... until then I'm going to steer clear of any places I'm not 100% sure about o.o

Mike make sure to check out the link. It's shocking, but there are still quite a few officers in your area that refuse to accept OC is legal.