Thread: CCW Question Relating to Parking Lots at Corrections Facility

CCW Question Relating to Parking Lots at Correctional Facilities

Here is a question relating to CCW. Can state correctional facilities post no gun signs in their parking lots? I say no becuase it is state property. The building is understandably off limits, but the parking lot should not be. I am I wrong?
    Last edited by Makarov; 11-19-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
    Here is a question relating to CCW. Can state correctional facilities post no gun signs in their parking lots? I say no becuase it is state property. The building is understandably off limits, but the parking lot should not be. I am I wrong?
    Yes they can....there's a specific ORC for that...

2921.36 Illegal conveyance of weapons, drugs or other prohibited items onto grounds of detention facility or institution.

You can't carry on the grounds, park, inside, anywhere. And that applies to open and concealed carry.

Quote Originally Posted by JediSkipdogg View Post
    Yes they can....there's a specific ORC for that...

2921.36 Illegal conveyance of weapons, drugs or other prohibited items onto grounds of detention facility or institution.

You can't carry on the grounds, park, inside, anywhere. And that applies to open and concealed carry.
    Take a look at Division (B) and (F)(1) in section 2921.36

I know the original inquire was in reference to CCW. But, it appears to me that if its stored in your vehicle the way folks w/o a CCW must carry in a vehicle your in the clear.
    Last edited by RCall; 11-19-2012 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RCall View Post

I know the original inquire was in reference to CCW. But, it appears to me that if its stored in your vehicle the way folks w/o a CCW must carry in a vehicle your in the clear.
    B is if one gets written permission. All I can say is good luck on that one. Here's $100 if you get a warden to give you written permission.

Correct on F1. Missed that. So yes, if you unload it you can legally keep it in the vehicle on the grounds. However, you'd have to be unloaded and safely carrying prior to entering the grounds/parking lot. Otherwise if caught doing it on camera you might be in deep water.

This law should be changed. My Wife was visiting a person at the Dayton Correctional Institute located on Infirmery Road, West Side of Dayton. Also known as the worst side of Dayton. This prison parking lot was not well lit, the average person hanging arround the area was very supicious, no cameras located in the lot for safety. She could have been attacked and no one would have noticed until it was too late. I think correctional Instutes should be treated like colleges on this topic. Just lock it up in the vehicle.
    Last edited by Makarov; 11-20-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Banned
    Inside your vehicle is an extension of your home. You should be able to fully exercise the constitutionally-protected RKBA and the natural right to self-defense in your car, unfettered by laws, regulations, licenses, or permits.

The law needs to be changed in a more fundamental way than simply allowing locking your unattended gun in your car outside the prison. The law should never "allow" the exercise of a right. It should either be silent or proactively protect that right by restricting governmental action against that right.

Quote Originally Posted by RCall View Post

(F)(1) is an AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSE. That means you get arrested FIRST, then claim that defense at trial.

I wouldn't consider that to be "in the clear".
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by JediSkipdogg View Post
    B is if one gets written permission. All I can say is good luck on that one. Here's $100 if you get a warden to give you written permission.

Correct on F1. Missed that. So yes, if you unload it you can legally keep it in the vehicle on the grounds. However, you'd have to be unloaded and safely carrying prior to entering the grounds/parking lot. Otherwise if caught doing it on camera you might be in deep water.
    I can guarantee that most if not all Wardens will try to have your marshmallows toasted, if they find you with a weapon in your vehicle. You need written permission from the Warden to bring your weapon onto State grounds. The worst part about this is, I know Wardens that carry weapons to work and leave them in their vehicle. Apparently their lives are worth more than the other employees. I would be the first to bring a weapon on State grounds if the law allowed. Other employees have WAY more day to day interaction with Inmates than any Warden ever will. They are the ones that should definitely be armed on their way to and from State grounds. The reason given by Administrative staff and White Shirts for not allowing weapons to be left in vehicles is that, an Inmate could escape and break into a vehicle and take your weapon and car. I doubt that this would happen. An escaping Inmate is not trying to hang around and break into a vehicle in the parking lot. The two escape attempts that I have personal knowledge of resulted in one inmate being trapped between the fences (while trying to reach a wooded area on the other side of the fence) and the other running into the woods (he was caught by several Corrections Officers that were receiving their weapons re-certification on the firing range) . This law definitely needs to be changed.
    Last edited by D_Weezy; 11-24-2012 at 03:53 AM. Reason: double quote