• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealing at work...

Hrcnsfan

My boss/owner of the business I manage has given me permission to be armed at work (I work alone). He would prefer I be concealed. I just took my conceal class this past Saturday so I obviously don't have my permit yet. But since this is his personal property and I have his permission, is my understanding correct in that I can conceal while on his property just as I could on my own...?
Thanks!

rotorhead

My boss/owner of the business I manage has given me permission to be armed at work (I work alone). He would prefer I be concealed. I just took my conceal class this past Saturday so I obviously don't have my permit yet. But since this is his personal property and I have his permission, is my understanding correct in that I can conceal while on his property just as I could on my own...?
Thanks!

Yes, especially since you are his employee.

I just got home so I will dig up the cite in a little bit.

Last edited:

Hrcnsfan

Thanks rotorhead. I thought I had read that somewhere but recently I have been unable to find it again.
Your help is appreciated.

rotorhead

Actually I may have misspoke (got confused, messed up, lied, didn't know what i was talking about, etc).

The reference I was going to cite was this:

§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(b) This section shall not apply to the following:

(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;

(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;

(3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and

(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

It seems that would apply only if the business sold and served alcohol and you were there as security. The only other ref I can find atm states clearly if you are on your own property.

As of right now, i'm unsure if it applies to all private property with the owner's consent, or if you are limited to only your own property by law. My apologies.

Last edited:

cricketdad

Find a copy of Firearms Law of North Carolina, Third edition by Thomas Faulk, Jr, Attorney, look on page 173

Thomas cites State v Terry, 93 N.C. 585 (1885). State v Anderson, 39 S.E. 824 (NC 1901).

It is his opinion a person can carry a concealed handgun without a permit.

I started to post his opinion, but I don't have his written permission. I don't think I need it but the mods would probably require it.

NC-Heel

Find a copy of Firearms Law of North Carolina, Third edition by Thomas Faulk, Jr, Attorney, look on page 173

Thomas cites State v Terry, 93 N.C. 585 (1885). State v Anderson, 39 S.E. 824 (NC 1901).

I started to post his opinion, but I don't have his written permission. I don't think I need it but the mods would probably require it.
Very informative.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

A short synopsis with a link avoids conflict with copyright laws.