• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Harassed By Cops & Walmart For CCW

Golden-Arm

Carrying a firearm is a privilege in Florida. Right or wrong, you will be presumed guilty in practice, especially in south florida. Only law enforcement officers can open carry. Their primary role is to fleece and control the public. Having a monopoly on the visible means of force is very important to the ruling class. While printing is not illegal, it makes the sheeple scared and they'll call their protectors on you, especially in south florida.

this is false. the bold italics added by me. the right to openly carry is allowed for those in the lawful act(s) of hunting, fishing or going to a shooting range, or going to or returning from the same. you don't do any service to those of us that open carry while fishing, going to the fishing spot, or returning from fishing by claiming that "only law enforcement can open carry". misinformation, is never a good thing. ;)

Last edited:

PBY

Let me say your first post was great. I'm writing out a request for info and included a bunch of that and more. I wish I had those steps before I started doing things incorrectly, you're spot on and it's great advice, hopefully I don't have a second opportunity to use it though.

I'm not looking to sue or cause problems, I just want them to respect my rights, follow the statutes and not kill me. What I was hearing from the sergeant in code was that he disagrees with the Florida laws, and as much as the city can't bypass them, they can certainly make your life miserable for availing yourself of those rights. Perhaps even gun you down if the wrong cop shows up and is in a bad mood. You know, playing craps with my life. I could be wrong, but following the law is so easy, so why don't they care?

I spoke with the attorney for the police department and she was absolutely wonderful. She still stands by the fact that their policy is correct in following up any firearm call, regardless of a crime being reported, but she expressed disapproval with several things the officer did and said she would get a memo out clearing up some things and she's keep me posted on her actions. I still have major issue though with the concept that officer safety comes before Constitutional rights, since of course that gives police the right to do anything to you and claim they were worried about their safety.

Did he say that? Or are you inferring that?
Inferred it, can't take it to court, but I heard loud and clear what he was saying.

Actually, unions have done a ton of good for this country. 40 hour work weeks, fair pay, minimum wage, overtime, benefits, etc. all came from the work of the unions.
Not public unions. And the reality is that OSHA did a lot of it and competition was the best for workers. Henry Ford paid his employees more than the going wage and said if he did not pay workers more then who would buy his cars. Change takes time but competition usually does it. For all those wonderful things private unions supposedly did, you left out the most important, in the end they killed the companies and now Chinese are making the stuff. Good work with the auto companies too. Hostess as well. Unions are a monopoly on labor, and we don't support monopolies with corporations, so why would it be good the other way. Our economic facts argue against your point, NO JOBS!

And yes, there is someone representing the taxpayer. The City council or county commissioners do. Perhaps you're not so familiar with how contracts with government employees work?
I am familiar. The city council is bought and paid for, just like all politicians. They are just minor league players praying to get the call from their party leaders to go to the show where the big cash is. Unions contribute to political campaigns and are you really saying that there is no assumed pay back. The city councilman across the table from the union leader received 50% of his campaign contributions (aka: bribes) from that same union leader. Yeah, he represents the taxpayer.

Well, most pensions are not 6 figures. Most pensions require more than 20 years. Please educate yourself.
Yes, but enough are, and most public safety guys are at most 25 years. Retired at 50. As for educating myself, I am very educated in the pension obligations of local/municipal/state/federal and they are all screwed. Don't get pissed at me. It's math. The worker bees have been lied to and stolen from by those who supposedly were representing them. Much like the taxpayers have been. It's the system and it was intentionally designed that way. Do you understand what an expected rate of return is? Well pensions are using 8+%. Risk free rate is 1.4%. That extra 7% they are assuming requires taking on risk, and we can't keep running $1.5trillion deficits to keep the stock market propped up, which is where that risk has been placed. Don't get pissed at me, get pissed at those who lied and stole from pensioners. Get pissed at the union leader making $250k and has five family members on the executive payroll. Do you think I enjoy telling my friends on pensions what's going to happen to their income? Have you bothered to see that you've paid a 10% tax on everything you own each of the last five years because of the increased deficit decreasing your buying power. Does it make a difference to you if you are taxed 10% or if your buying power decreases 10%? I'm sorry it's unpopular to say this, but mine are only words, not the deeds. This is well past OC and CC, and cannot be separated from it, they want your weapons because if you have them things will get ugly when their scheme finally hits the fiscal wall.
http://www.pensiontsunami.com/

Maybe you should contact a civil rights attorney?
The entire point is that needing an attorney and spending $30k is wrong. The system is broken if you need to spend $30k and three years to have a 2nd Amendment right. But that's exactly the way it was set up, and our public servants know it, and the union/taxpayer funds their defense.

Your background? Can you elaborate?
Yes, I am visibly not a minority, which is better than being a minority when you come into contact with law enforcement. It's better than the birth defect of being a Red Sox fan:lol:

And yet, you're confused by it, and are asking anonymous posters on an internet message board for legal advice. For someone so intelligent who can understand complicated issues, you sure seem lost in this fairly simple problem. (Your words, not mine)
That's a joke right? Are you trying to be obtuse? Confusing complicated with convoluted and tedious does not make for a good argument. Knee surgery would not be complicated for a brain surgeon, but he just can't go do it, he has to learn it. But the process of filing briefs is insane, you need to know what type size, what color signatures, how many lines to a page, and those are just inane things. I'm not confused. No litigator is going to start writing 500 page contracts like I can. I just don't have three years to learn it. I did not want legal advice, I wanted those who might have been through this before to point me in a direction, much like you did in your other post. I'm smart, I can take it from there and then pass on my knowledge to the next guy. We all build upon others' previous work. The system abuses us because it's set up to make this tedious and time consuming, we can counteract that by our numbers. Imagine if there was a step by step process so everyone who this happened to could easily fight for all our rights. Get it yet?

You're a lawyer, and bash lawyers? Cool....:rolleyes:
So you get that about me, but you don't get who I am or what I believe in. I believe in freedom and right or wrong. Our system is corrupt. I have no false idols. Our system is one of LAWCap and FINCap, law and finance based capitalism. The system must go. LAWCap does not allow for justice. Ask the farmers being beaten down by Monsanto because their seed is blown into the farmers land how justice works for them. They have to buy Monsanto seed in the end because they can't afford to fight them in court. It's much the same with the statement I said about good cops. Ask a good cop if he knows any bad cops. If he says yes then he is not a good cop because he did not do anything about it. Speaking the truth when it is unpopular is the most important time to speak the truth. You hate me because of my union/pension statements, but that's the truth, and if you want to listen maybe something could still be done to help. Imagine having 65% your pension tied up in the market and it dropping by 40% again. At worst that supposed good cop should leave the force and not give his approval of the others' behavior. I speak out against law and lawyers and do not practice anymore, I don't want their stamp of approval.

PBY

this is false. the bold italics added by me. the right to openly carry is allowed for those in the lawful act(s) of hunting, fishing or going to a shooting range, or going to or returning from the same. you don't do any service to those of us that open carry while fishing, going to the fishing spot, or returning from fishing by claiming that "only law enforcement can open carry". misinformation, is never a good thing. ;)

I saw that Florida Open Carry group has fishing outings so that those who attend can carry open. I'm leaving on travels for a while but when I come back I'm going to look into it further. Problem is I'm not a very good fisherman, other than catching big bass in the golf course ponds where my mother lives. I'll tell you, sometimes my friends and I are having coffee where we live and a few of us are OC and we end up in more nice conversations with strangers than anything. People love talking about their firearms.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Pby,

My advice is to quit arguing/pontificating about Red Sox fans, public employee feather-bedding, corrupt cops, the injustice of the "justice" system, etc. and discuss/strategize about the matter at hand.

Yes, many, many here have been through what you have been through. Your eyes have been opened, not only to reality but hopefully also to how ignorant and naive you were. Nonetheless, as Jake Elwood said "I (you) HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!"

It's just as well - you can now learn, spread the word, and teach others.

I would work with the members here to construct an open records (not FOIA - that's Federal) request, or multiple requests. I would also contact the Florida Carry people, give them a BRIEF summary of what happened, with a lengthy, non-commented version to read if they like, and ask for their advice/input.

That's my 2 cents.

(PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you a records request from Ohio)

PBY

My advice is to discuss/strategize about the matter at hand.

Yes, many, many here have been through what you have been through. Your eyes have been opened, not only to reality but hopefully also to how ignorant and naive you were. Nonetheless, as Jake Elwood said "I (you) HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!"

It's just as well - you can now learn, spread the word, and teach others.

I would work with the members here to construct an open records (not FOIA - that's Federal) request, or multiple requests. I would also contact the Florida Carry people, give them a BRIEF summary of what happened, with a lengthy, non-commented version to read if they like, and ask for their advice/input.

That's my 2 cents.

Thanks, that is certainly what I would like to do. Become part of the team to help stand up for all our rights. I feel terrible about how naive I was, it's almost the worst part about it. Nothing hurts worse than feeling like a dummy.

You need more than 2 cents, I think it's officially 4 cents now. Can't fight the FED and inflation. I have a friend who gets $2 bills from the bank, he says he can't do anything with a $1 bill. He's right. The sad part is that it is not uncommon that someone tells him it's fake.

77zach

Yeah, I know all about the law and the exception Massa carved out for us mundanes. I knew about it years before you joined OCDO most likely. It's kind of pathetic taking advantage of the statute. Unless, maybe the media is showing up, which I guess they have a couple times over the years.

cravinbob

Happened to me at Walmart as well

I will spare the details but it is important that people know that you never have to and never should talk to police. Do not roll the window down. They can spout all the crap they want but they know more than you. So do not speak. Period. The have no probable cause and will give up and go away. Start talking and befiore you know it you on on the ground in cuffs. They are not your friends, say nothing except "I am busy, good day" and drive away. If they have blocked you from leaving ask them over and over "Am I under arrest or am I free to go?" That's all....nothing more. Roll your window down one inch and no more. If they say roll it all the way down say "I hear you just fine." Do not give ID unless it is a traffic stop. Stay in the car. Say nothing, answer no questions. NONE.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Despite my offer, he never did PM me - so I guess he handled the matter, or it really wasn't as important to him as he suggested.

Either way, I'm unsubscribing from the thread.