• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Time for my CPL..where do I go?

MikeTheGreek

Anybody have a good recommendation for where I can go get my CPL? I want to take my class either Saturday, or Sunday, preferably in an OC location around Novi/Livonia/Westland/Northville area? I was going to go to Action Impact..the range I usually go to..but, their instructor is known to kick people out of his classes for arguing that OC isn't a danger to society. They also have a big sign on their door that says "all firearms must be concealed unless in range area"

MikeTheGreek

How long have you been a resident of the state?

Full time 2 years, but before that, I lived here with my dad every weekend for 20 years. I just got my drivers lic a month ago, but I do have bills that state I've lived here for two years. I know there is a 6 month rule for being a resident to get a CPL. I shouldn't have a problem with that, I hope.

TheQ

http://detroitccw.com/

Others may have other recommendations, but Rick Ector has been a friend of open carry and Michigan open carry, Inc.

He won't feed you bullsh|t about open carry that you may hear from other instructors.

Look him up on Facebook, "Rick's Firearm Academy of Detroit". Tell him Phil sent you.

MikeTheGreek

Others may have other recommendations, but Rick Ector has been a friend of open carry and Michigan open carry, Inc.

He won't feed you bullsh|t about open carry that you may hear from other instructors.

Look him up on Facebook, "Rick's Firearm Academy of Detroit". Tell him Phil sent you.

I just looked into his website and it is $149.99 + $35 Range Expenses because I'd miss the 14 day window for their next class. That's a bit (wayyyy) more than I was expecting to pay haha, since I believe I still have to pay another 150 at the Wayne Country Clerks office to get everything processed.

I called the place by my house and they said they are OC friendly, so I might just stick with that and save me some money.

Thank you though!

Small_Arms_Collector

So far the only OC friendly place I know if is Firearm Exchange on Schoolcraft, but their class is $125 (It comes with a 1 month membership which is $25)

If you can hold off until December 1st I have a class going that I could get you in.

It is AT the Firearm Exchange (They allow other instructors to rent class space, and do there classes their, I am not affiliated with them.)

As you have said it's OC friendly (However due to NRA safety rules, you will have to unload during class).

It's only $100, and I include everything with it, all the course materials, some extra stuff I put in the packet, I cover your range time, and I even bring in Pizza, and pop.

I also do a segment on OC (I even give you a copy of AG opinion 7113).

Dean Greenblatt is coming in to cover the legal section.

It's from 9-5:30 all one day, and obviously the shooting is done on site.

If you, or anyone else is interested PM me.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
If you can hold off until December 1st I have a class going that I could get you in.

It is AT the Firearm Exchange (They allow other instructors to rent class space, and do there classes there, I am not affiliated with them.)

As you have said it's OC friendly (However due to NRA safety rules, you will have to unload during class).

It's only $100, and I include everything with it, all the course materials, some extra stuff I put in the packet, I cover your range time, and I even bring in Pizza, and pop.

I also do a segment on OC (I even give you a copy of AG opinion 7113).

Dean Greenblatt is coming in to cover the legal section.

It's from 9-5:30 all one day, and obviously the shooting is done on site.

If you, or anyone else is interested PM me.

This!!!

MikeTheGreek

I'd love to go there but I'm working that day..crap. I also have this tuesday off so I can go to Wayne county and process my cpl, if I went Dec 1st I'd have to take that day off, and then wait 2 weeks before I could take it and get it processed. no Bueno.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

Raggs

I'd love to go there but I'm working that day..crap. I also have this tuesday off so I can go to Wayne county and process my cpl, if I went Dec 1st I'd have to take that day off, and then wait 2 weeks before I could take it and get it processed. no Bueno.

It seems another 2 weeks wait wouldn't be a great deal to get a class from someone who won't teach you FUD about OC, so if you could get the day off I would go to that class

MikeTheGreek

It seems another 2 weeks wait wouldn't be a great deal to get a class from someone who won't teach you FUD about OC, so if you could get the day off I would go to that class

1 more week for the class and thn 2 more weeks to process, 3 weeks...eh, I need to get it sooner. + the place I'm going to is OC friendly. I may still take his class after anyway, think it would be nice, even if I have my cpl already

Last edited:

detroit_fan

+1

My wife went to Rick for her class(CADL fundraiser CPL class) and not only did she learn a lot she said he was very entertaining and made the class a lot of fun

MikeTheGreek

Scott Webb/Webb Tactical?

I know a long time ago somebody recommended Scott Webb for CPL classes...but google has NO information on how to get a hold of him, what range he works at, or Webb Tactical 0.o Somebody wanna help me out?