• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Time for my CPL..where do I go?

MikeTheGreek

I assumed this was a place where somebody who was new to OC could ask questions about things he was confused about, so he could better understand and try to support the cause to the best of his ability. I guess not.

Apparently not.

Bronson

1. Is it correct that you can OC inside a bar or tavern with your CPL and the owners permission?

750.234d

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

. . .

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

. . .

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

It's "any" not "all."

2. She said it's illegal to have loaded mags in a car without a CPL, even if your firearm is unloaded and locked in the trunk.

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

No mention of magazines.

And....

(e) "Pistol" means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 30 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals it as a firearm.

According to the definition of a "pistol" in MI law a loaded magazine doesn't qualify as a pistol.

3. Is it illegal to have more than one firearm on you at once?

8.3b

Every word importing the singular number only may extend to and embrace the plural number, and every word importing the plural number may be applied and limited to the singular number. Every word importing the masculine gender only may extend and be applied to females as well as males.

And here's the link where you can look up the laws.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(mvhtrk45vxvfntftg5ijdqik))/mileg.aspx?page=Home

As always I am not a lawyer and anything I write is just my opinion and shouldn't be taken as legal advice.

Bronson

scot623

I assumed this was a place where somebody who was new to OC could ask questions about things he was confused about, so he could better understand and try to support the cause to the best of his ability. I guess not.

Apparently not.

You are correct, this is the place. But you have started more threads in the last two weeks than some have ever started. I spent the first month on this site reading every post of every thread going back 25 pages deep. Attend a seminar and have your questions answered in person. Plus, starting two threads asking about where to take your CPL and a third asking us if you need an IWB holster for the class is kind of unnecessary. Just saying.

MikeTheGreek

Re: Did my CPL class today.

You are correct, this is the place. But you have started more threads in the last two weeks than some have ever started. I spent the first month on this site reading every post of every thread going back 25 pages deep. Attend a seminar and have your questions answered in person. Plus, starting two threads asking about where to take your CPL and a third asking us if you need an IWB holster for the class is kind of unnecessary. Just saying.

I will try to contain any questions into fewer threads.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

griffin

Mike

A while back TheQ sent you to a thread over at Michigan Open Carry (MOC). Did you read that? That one thread really covers a LOT of the OC laws and would have answered all of your questions. I assume you never read it.

It's not that people don't want to help, it's that it appears you aren't taking the help we've already given you.

Last edited:

Raggs

ANOTHER THREAD!! AWESOME!! How about you save all your questions until...

A. You attend an open carry seminar.
B. You read the book about open carry you said you were going to buy.

For the love of god man, are you going to start a thread about whether you should hav Wendy's or McDonald's for lunch next?

Lastly, stop open carrying until you have a SOLID understanding of the laws. Your question/thread per day asking about OC laws tells all of us you DO NOT KNOW ENOUGH TO OPEN CARRY SAFELY YET.

We do not want to see the MikeTheGreek thread asking for bail money and an attorney referal.

About 17 threads started, I think he should have lunch at McDonald's, I dislike Wendy's and think the filet o fish is the greatest!

B

Bikenut

Unreal... a newbie comes into the forum full of enthusiasm and questions and gets slammed down for........... being full of enthusiasm and questions.

Thing is.... sure it is possible to search through this entire forum and eventually find an answer to darn near every question ever thought of being asked.. but, speaking for myself, I don't think there is enough time left in my life to search the entire forum every time I have a question just to see if someone already answered it.

And it is quite possible that the questions (and the title of the thread started asking the question) is the exact thing someone else is looking for and they also benefit from Mike having asked.

Guys... if Mike starting many threads bothers you and you aren't the owner of the site... well.... perhaps you could ask the owners to set a limit on the number of threads a poster is allowed to start. Or... you could just not open the threads he starts.

Or we all could just answer his questions knowing we are helping a newbie understand open carry and stay out of trouble with the laws thereof..... and not complain about the manner in which he asks them.

But then Bronson comes along and simply answers the questions by responding with cites to the actual laws pertaining to the questions.

FreeInAZ

My 2 cents. vs Mike's $$$

Guys I know you all miss ragging on Stainless. But Mike is not him to my knowledge, so let's give him a break. Let's look at Mike's being a posting machine as "forum job security". ;) His threads & posts generate revenue, and since this forum only has a handful of paying members ( I used to be one) I think we should welcome Mike. Just saying...

Mike - I too had a very nice but WRONG on many things, CPL/CC/OC instructor a few years back. She told us lots of wrong stuff including most of the above. I waited until the lunch break gave her one of the OC tri-folds in my ammo case (had about 30 with me) and asked her to skim over it for a few minutes during the break. After the break she asked me if I would like to give the class some tri-folds, I said sure:D. At the end of the class one guy came up to me and said "damn I really didn't need to take this class, I just wanted to be able to carry on my property up north." :eek:

I smiled and told him hey look at it this way: always better to have it & not need it, vs need it and not have it.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

+1

Unreal... a newbie comes into the forum full of enthusiasm and questions and gets slammed down for........... being full of enthusiasm and questions.

Thing is.... sure it is possible to search through this entire forum and eventually find an answer to darn near every question ever thought of being asked.. but, speaking for myself, I don't think there is enough time left in my life to search the entire forum every time I have a question just to see if someone already answered it.

And it is quite possible that the questions (and the title of the thread started asking the question) is the exact thing someone else is looking for and they also benefit from Mike having asked.

Guys... if Mike starting many threads bothers you and you aren't the owner of the site... well.... perhaps you could ask the owners to set a limit on the number of threads a poster is allowed to start. Or... you could just not open the threads he starts.

Or we all could just answer his questions knowing we are helping a newbie understand open carry and stay out of trouble with the laws thereof..... and not complain about the manner in which he asks them.

But then Bronson comes along and simply answers the questions by responding with cites to the actual laws pertaining to the questions.

This brings up a great point & that is: Maybe we should create a sticky: "What every OCer in MI should know"?

It could keep someone from getting into a jam. Hell even Ben Wallace (Played for Detroit Piston's Basketball team) was confused about transport laws / alcohol and firearm possession etc.. even with all his access to lawyers. Just saying..:confused: MI Gun/CC/OC, transport, purchase, registration etc..:rolleyes: laws are very confusing, & until we can get them changed we should make it as easy as we can for people to avoid getting snared by them.

ETA - BONUS! If we did this - we maybe able to condense some of the sticky's on the main page into this one thread. :banana:

Last edited:

TheQ

Did my CPL class today.

This brings up a great point & that is: Maybe we should create a sticky: "What every OCer in MI should know"?

It could keep someone from getting into a jam. Hell even Ben Wallace (Played for Detroit Piston's Basketball team) was confused about transport laws / alcohol and firearm possession etc.. even with all his access to lawyers. Just saying..:confused: MI Gun/CC/OC, transport, purchase, registration etc..:rolleyes: laws are very confusing, & until we can get them changed we should make it as easy as we can for people to avoid getting snared by them.

ETA - BONUS! If we did this - we maybe able to condense some of the sticky's on the main page into this one thread. :banana:

We have a sticky thread on Michigan Open Carry: New? Start Here

http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,25.0.html

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

Re: Did my CPL class today.

Thank you FreeInAz, Bronson, and Bikenut. I'm here to learn more about OC so I can do it and support it around Michigan. I'm not here to gain anyone's approval, so if you have an issue with me, well that sucks for you, that doesn't matter to me.

OC'ing safely and legally > Your opinions of me.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

TheQ

Did my CPL class today.

If the Michigan Mods would merge all the Mike adventures in getting his CPL threads into one thread, the place may not seem as...littered.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator

Apparently not.

Your first assumption was correct but, you need to be prepared for people who don't have patience to answer a multitude of questions. Some also think it's a waste to start new threads asking related questions. Frankly, I don't give a crap either way. And while I agree with some others, Rick Ector would have been the best choice, I also know you had a conflict with scheduling and such. Apparently others missed your reasons.

If you want to wait for the next OC seminar to ask your questions, that's fine. If not, ask away, I'm sure that SOMEONE will answer them politely.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Don't the stickies stay on top of the page regardless which page you're on?

[strike]So far as I know, they do. I've never really looked before.[/strike]
Yes, the stickies show up on every page when you browse the sub forum.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Great idea. This forum doesn't have enough stickies yet. :p

Well that wasn't what I meant;). I was saying move some of the single threads and combine them into ONE.:banana:

This way we only have about 10 stickies to wrangle instead of ..... your guess is as good as anyones :p