Thread: Round in the chamber

Round in the chamber

Who knows the law on if u can have a round in the chamber while you are carrying?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Usarmy_nathan View Post
    Who knows the law on if u can have a round in the chamber while you are carrying?
    In Indiana, there is no law stating that you cannot have a round in the chamber of your handgun while carrying; therefore you can.
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

Yata hey

First, read this:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod.../ar47/ch2.html

Then read all of article 47.

If you're going to carry a handgun in Indiana, it's best to know the law. These will get you started.

Also, what grapeshot said. It's not prohibited.
    Indiana law does not differentiate between open and concealed carry.

Indiana weapon statutes: http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cce1302 View Post
    First, read this:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod.../ar47/ch2.html

Then read all of article 47.

If you're going to carry a handgun in Indiana, it's best to know the law. These will get you started.

Also, what grapeshot said. It's not prohibited.
    You scared me with the link and the article 47 reference - thought I had replied erroniously and was being corrected.

Not that I mind being corrected. Its always best to have to the right info, but I do try to avoid bruising along the way.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-20-2012 at 12:40 PM.
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

Yata hey

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    You scared me with the link and the article 47 reference - thought I had replied erroniously and was being corrected.

Not that I mind being corrected. Its always best to have to the right info, but I do try to avoid bruising along the way.
    Thanks I was told that you can't but they really didn't know any laws

Quote Originally Posted by Usarmy_nathan View Post
    Thanks I was told that you can't but they really didn't know any laws
    Gun store counter guy or your friendly local cop?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Round in the chamber

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Gun store counter guy or your friendly local cop?

stay safe.
    You forgot the know-it-all anti-gun friend...
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post

I try to reply with a link to the law whenever possible. Since I only have to keep up with Indiana law (and occasionally Ohio, Michigan, and PA), it's not a difficult thing to do.

Why would anyone not carry one in the chamber. I remember seeing a video of a robbery at a jewerly store. A person in the store pulled a gun out but in the haste and confusion he had trouble racking the slide and ended up getting shot a killed.

I have a TCP that I dont carry a rnd in the chamber. It has no safety and is hammerless, which I hate. I dont carry one in it cause how and when I carry it I'm afraid of a accidental discharge. For what I do there is a good chance of it.

No UD

Quote Originally Posted by pyroman View Post
    Why would anyone not carry one in the chamber.

In a major respect, it's safer. Can't really have an unintentional discharge by one trigger pull if there isn't one in the pipe.

The additional safety is offset by additional risk like, not being able rack the slide at a moment of truth.

Figure out your probability of having a UD and compare it to your probability of being unable to rack a slide at a jewelry store-like situation . . . and you can decide which method is actually best.

Quote Originally Posted by HankT View Post
    In a major respect, it's safer. Can't really have an unintentional discharge by one trigger pull if there isn't one in the pipe.

The additional safety is offset by additional risk like, not being able rack the slide at a moment of truth.

Figure out your probability of having a UD and compare it to your probability of being unable to rack a slide at a jewelry store-like situation . . . and you can decide which method is actually best.
    In a major respect, it's less safe. Can't really have an intentional discharge by one trigger pull if there isn't one in the pipe.

Following all four safety rules will ensure that you'll never have a negligent discharge.

getting in the habit of treating every weapon as if the chamber were empty is just looking for trouble, in my opinion.