• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OETA Story on Open Carry

Robert318

That was an interesting video. Thanks for that post. I would like to point out the comment about what's not necessary. Peoples logic of what's not necessary for them is also not necessary for others baffles me, like they can really know what everybody else's situations or desires will be to make that determination for others. Anyways, thanks again for the post.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
It's not necessary to do a lot of different things that are perfectly legal and within one's rights to do. I'd sure hate it if someone decided my rights based on their subjective opinion of what was "necessary". Besides, it's the Bill of Rights, not the Bill of Needs.

docachna

"Bill of Needs"

It's not necessary to do a lot of different things that are perfectly legal and within one's rights to do. I'd sure hate it if someone decided my rights based on their subjective opinion of what was "necessary". Besides, it's the Bill of Rights, not the Bill of Needs.

That is DAMNED profound !!! I love it !!!:banana:

Did you think that up all by yourself, or liberally borrow from someone ??

Joe in Norman

That was an interesting video. Thanks for that post. I would like to point out the comment about what's not necessary. Peoples logic of what's not necessary for them is also not necessary for others baffles me, like they can really know what everybody else's situations or desires will be to make that determination for others. Anyways, thanks again for the post.

Good piece there if you ask me. It seemed to be pretty well neutral to me. Also I know 2 of the individuals interviewed although I'm not sure if Wes counts! Don't we all know him by now? My personal opinion which hasn't been brought up as far as when or if OC is considered is that I believe more people would exercise the right if it didn't seem so uncomfortable or polarizing. I have to admit that being raised in a gun free home at first it seems kind of awkward to open carry.
One of the folks interviewed stated his opinion that it was just a prop for a weak mind I guess. That is what I heard him saying. My reply would be something along these lines.. And a disclaimer here, I could not any more begin to understand what goes on in a persons mind much less a criminals but I'll use this analogy. I personally wouldn't try to break in a house that had bars on it if there was one right next door to one that didn't. I would leave the open carry individual alone and harass someone else! In this case the old line in the magazine rings true to me with only a little different twist. Carrying a weapon is not supposed to be comfortable. It's comforting.

hermannr

I don't know about the weak of mind part...I do know about the weaker of Frame part. OC is very good for those who don't want to physically fight, or can't be physical because of some limitation (I had Polio at 6, I can walk, but there are times it can bother me.)

I know some people that think you are a sissy to carry, you are weak and just can't fight...I say fine, I'm weak, and I can't fight...so I do carry.

Robert318

Good piece there if you ask me. It seemed to be pretty well neutral to me. Also I know 2 of the individuals interviewed although I'm not sure if Wes counts! Don't we all know him by now? My personal opinion which hasn't been brought up as far as when or if OC is considered is that I believe more people would exercise the right if it didn't seem so uncomfortable or polarizing. I have to admit that being raised in a gun free home at first it seems kind of awkward to open carry.
One of the folks interviewed stated his opinion that it was just a prop for a weak mind I guess. That is what I heard him saying. My reply would be something along these lines.. And a disclaimer here, I could not any more begin to understand what goes on in a persons mind much less a criminals but I'll use this analogy. I personally wouldn't try to break in a house that had bars on it if there was one right next door to one that didn't. I would leave the open carry individual alone and harass someone else! In this case the old line in the magazine rings true to me with only a little different twist. Carrying a weapon is not supposed to be comfortable. It's comforting.

Yes I thought it was a good video, it seemed to actually lean in favor of open carry to me. I was pointing out the comment Thomas made about tactical drop down holsters not being necessary. First off if he doesn't think they are not necessary for him that's fine but he shouldn't imply that they are not necessary for anyone. Secondly he was carrying open himself therefore advicating open carry then makes a negative statement about a different style of open carry. Thirdly the law reads that open carry can also be in a scabbard.
2. “Unconcealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried upon the person in a belt or shoulder holster that is wholly or partially visible, or carried upon the person in a scabbard or case designed for carrying firearms that is wholly or partially visible; and
Which means if I wanted to carry in a scabbard strapped around my head( can't imagine why anyone would but they could) or wear my ankle holster outside my pant leg it would be legal and also my choice. Therefore his opinion of whether one form of oc or another (that is legal) is not necassary is not only irrelevant but a naive bias statement.

So if he's one of the guys you know you need to set him straight, lol. But no seriously if you know him you need to let him know his statement was a bad statement.

The other two guys just sounded to me to state whether they choose to cc or oc and not really say either way or either style was necessary or not.

For the most part though the video seemed positive to me.