• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody ever do a desk pop?

Fallschirjmäger

No, but I did an armchair pop when I was 20 and lowering the hammer on a 1911. Entirely my fault; I'm left handed and the 1911 didn't have an ambidextrous safety so I didn't want to carry with the hammer back. I had an ambi-safety installed the next payday, though.

Funny thing, neither of the two other guys in the trailer we were renting to stay out of the barracks during SFQC bothered to wake up.

WalkingWolf

No, but I did an armchair pop when I was 20 and lowering the hammer on a 1911. Entirely my fault; I'm left handed and the 1911 didn't have an ambidextrous safety so I didn't want to carry with the hammer back. I had an ambi-safety installed the next payday, though.

Funny thing, neither of the two other guys in the trailer we were renting to stay out of the barracks during SFQC bothered to wake up.

How were you lowering the hammer?

Fallschirjmäger

How were you lowering the hammer?
Well... the dumb way of course, whaddaya expect?
Point muzzle in a safe direction, pull trigger with thumb controlling the hammer thusly allowing the discharging of said pistol into the armchair and the trailer floor when the hammer slips.
After that point I never lowered the hammer unless I was unloading and then it was After clearing the chamber.

WalkingWolf

Well... the dumb way of course, whaddaya expect?
Point muzzle in a safe direction, pull trigger with thumb controlling the hammer thusly allowing the discharging of said pistol into the armchair and the trailer floor when the hammer slips.
After that point I never lowered the hammer unless I was unloading and then it was After clearing the chamber.

This is the way I was taught to lower the hammer, but I am right handed. First always point gun in a safe direction, or use a clearing barrel or bucket. Second make sure thumb safety is on. Hold 1911 in right hand with finger outside the trigger, place left hand over slide and hold trigger finger with left hand to make sure it is outside trigger guard. Place left hand thumb tightly between hammer and back of slide, then take off thumb safety. Then and only if left thumb is securely jammed between trigger and rear of slide pull trigger. While keeping the finger on the trigger the hammer can be safely lowered by using both thumbs. Lower hammer with right thumb on spur while at the same time slowly removing the left thumb.

Do it with a empty firearm until you become confident. I have never had a NG or even minor slip using this method.

Last edited:

Robert318

Lmao

That video clip was funny! But the scary part is I could actually see some people really being that dumb and reckless, ironic how close a movie can parallel reality. Here's a dummy gun, lol.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

I am left handed,,, not that makes any difference,, even with ambidextrious safety or not....
I,,, and I think NOBODY can decock a 1911 one handed!!!
Ill be damned if I can hold the hammer back, with my thumb, while I pull the trigger,,, and depress the grip safety all at the same time...
I use both hands, if I need to decock,,, otherwise just use one hand to flick up the safety...

Fallschirjmäger

My apologies if what I wrote made it seem that I attempted to decock one-handed, I used both. But, I now put decocking a hammer fired semi in the same category as decocking a striker fired semi... there's just aren't enough reasons (for me) to justify doing so with a live primer underneath the firing pin.

I realize it can be done, and safely, but I no longer had any justification for doing so once I had an appropriate safety installed.