• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This is a perfect example of how to conduct yourself on a Police Open Carry Call

boyscout399

Anyone have another link to this? It has been taken down due to "copyright" reasons, but I have no clue how a video such as this could have copyrighted material in it.

When you shoot a video, a copyright is automatically applied to it. You own your video even if you don't register it. A video doesn't have to have music to be copyrighted content. It's against the law, and against youtube policy to just copy someone else's video. The reason I don't want copies of my video is because people make claims that aren't true in my name. When someone else uploads my video and 50,000 people view it, they think that when that uploader makes comments, that it's ME responding. I don't want other people pretending to be me. They also tend to assert things about me that are untrue. The most common is that I'm a law student. I've never been a law student, and claiming I'm a law student implies that only a law student could have an understanding of the law. It's really not that hard for the everyday man to learn the law and follow it.

Aknazer

I didn't realize this was your personal video boyscout that someone else had uploaded. And disregard the pm I sent you as I see you linked your upload in the thread.

As for the people saying he seems rude, I don't think so. He comes across as polite, but keeps steering the conversation back to where he wants it instead of letting the cop take it where the cop wants it. And that is the trick in regards to stuff like this, keeping the ball in your court and not letting the interrogator go off on other things (in this case he's trying to ignore the law and proceed with an illegal stop while being "polite" about it in order to try and gain compliance since he is in the wrong).

Anonymouse

When you shoot a video, a copyright is automatically applied to it. You own your video even if you don't register it. A video doesn't have to have music to be copyrighted content. It's against the law, and against youtube policy to just copy someone else's video. The reason I don't want copies of my video is because people make claims that aren't true in my name. When someone else uploads my video and 50,000 people view it, they think that when that uploader makes comments, that it's ME responding. I don't want other people pretending to be me. They also tend to assert things about me that are untrue. The most common is that I'm a law student. I've never been a law student, and claiming I'm a law student implies that only a law student could have an understanding of the law. It's really not that hard for the everyday man to learn the law and follow it.

What you describe here, while a violation of YouTube policy, is not a violation of copyright law.

The fair use exception allows people to post copyrighted material if they are only doing so for a transformative reason.

If they post it merely to comment or critique it then you will be hard pressed to show a violation of copyright.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

boyscout399

What you describe here, while a violation of YouTube policy, is not a violation of copyright law.

The fair use exception allows people to post copyrighted material if they are only doing so for a transformative reason.

If they post it merely to comment or critique it then you will be hard pressed to show a violation of copyright.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Fair use would cover using excerpts from the original work for the purposes of commenting in a new work. It wouldn't cover ripping the whole movie and claiming it as your own. What you're saying is that it would be legal to copy the entirety of the Lord of the Rings movies and upload them to the internet as long as there was a comment at the end that said, "These movies are so great." After all, it's posted merely to comment on it right? When judging fair use, the percentage of the original work that was copied factors into the equation. There's no "new work" in re-uploading someone else's content.