• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Minnesota Meet In December!

Which day(s) works best for you?

• 1st (sat)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2nd (sun)

• 8th (sat)

• 15th (sat)

• 22nd (sat)

• other or later date, please comment with answer

• Total voters

Minnesota

Hey there everyone!

I think it’s about time to have a meet! I think December will be the best since a lot of the hunting seasons come to a close and a break between holidays. I can open a thread for how everyone did this season to!

As of right now I’m thinking Bill’s Gun Shop in either:

-Robbinsdale (eat at the Lodge before/after would be nice)
-Circle Pines (have not been there, don’t know of grub shacks around there, anyone know?)

I’m thinking the weekends of December would be best unless the mass of us say otherwise (sat or sun or other)
-1st (sat)
-2nd (sun)
-8th (sat)
-9th (sun)
-15th (sat)
-16th (sun)
-22nd (sat)
-23rd (sun)

Please let me know which location, then which date(s) work best for you so we can all agree on the best day or even more than one day so we can do more than just one meet.

I should at Bill’s in Robbinsdale every Sunday around noon and seems to be easy to get in a lane quick so I’m thinking noon or so for the days picked unless the mass of us agree on something else.

Please feel free to voice in on any ideas or different locations!!! It’s always great to go to other ranges. Maybe someone has a private range or a membership at a range we could all shoot at?

Voice up or you won’t be heard!

Thanks,
Nick

Fuller Malarkey

Will this be an "Open Carry Event"? Or will the Minnesota contingency of anti's be present also? The last thing I need is to spend Christmas in jail / hospital / morgue because of a set up by anti-open carry Minnesota police.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Will this be an "Open Carry Event"? Or will the Minnesota contingency of anti's be present also? The last thing I need is to spend Christmas in jail / hospital / morgue because of a set up by anti-open carry Minnesota police.

Why that quantum leap? Dramatic, but has any carry event in Minnesota ever been so reduced?

When you give up your rights, you get exactly what you deserve..............nothing.

I beleive what the OP is proposing is a meet-up of like minded people, assembling peacefully and legally. He would IMO be better off setting a place and time - build it and they will come. Otherwise you'll still be talking about the details come Christmas.

Minnesota

Fuller Malarkeys- I'm not quite sure if that was a rhetorical question or just trying to push a feeling of yours on this thread. May I ask if you reside in Minnesota Fuller Malarkeys?

Thank you grapeshot for addressing Fuller Malarkeys post, much appreciated!

Anyways yes this will be an open carry event if you choose to do so but NO one shall be exiled because they are not open carrying. Maybe there are some new permit carriers that need to see how we handle open carry so they can build up the confidence to do so like we all once had to do. If someone likes to conceal, by all means go for it! All are welcomed to the event, just keep the peace.

Please note if you plan on carrying at the meet you CANNOT upholster that weapon within Bill’s so please make sure you don’t carry the gun you intend to shoot!

I shoot every Sunday at the same time, maybe everyone can just try to make it on the Sundays that works for them instead of picking certain dates. I don’t know, but I would like to get our pro 2A people closer and meeting up once in a while! I haven’t had a chance to meet anyone yet on here, I’m taking it upon myself to change that instead of complaining.

Fuller Malarkey

Why that quantum leap? Dramatic, but has any carry event in Minnesota ever been so reduced?

When you give up your rights, you get exactly what you deserve..............nothing.

I beleive what the OP is proposing is a meet-up of like minded people, assembling peacefully and legally. He would IMO be better off setting a place and time - build it and they will come. Otherwise you'll still be talking about the details come Christmas.

No quantum leap Grapeshot. Open carry is ridiculed and open carriers are harassed on most Minnesota firearms related forums....and in real life.

http://www.carryforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18923&hilit=open+carry

http://www.carryforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=18958&hilit=open+carry

http://www.carryforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=18887&hilit=open+carry

http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33826&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=open+carry

http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=35134&p=393216&hilit=open+carry#p393216

http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=34814&p=390608&hilit=open+carry#p390608

http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=34578&p=388593&hilit=open+carry#p388593

This incident:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/06/23/mpls-man-police-beat-me-for-gun-despite-my-permit/

Was justified in the "gun community" of Minnesota

http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic....&sid=d2c331c8c1097360adbc56656e0c1d35#p360810

So, no, I don't think it's out of line to ask what kind of gathering this might be. Who is invited. What the "theme" will be....an open carry event where carriers can meet and greet and build trust among themselves and with the community, or a set up for the anti's to embarrass, humiliate or possibly kill someone not knowing what they're walking into. If you can predict how far an anti-open carry cop or police force can and will push an issue, I'll find my concerns addressed. Since you can't, I'll ask specifics about what I or someone I may bring along may encounter.

Just for hoots, read this one....

http://www.carryforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18760&sid=6af3ba6f531602f061f017b010acd29e

Last edited:

Fuller Malarkey

Fuller Malarkeys- I'm not quite sure if that was a rhetorical question or just trying to push a feeling of yours on this thread. May I ask if you reside in Minnesota Fuller Malarkeys?

I have purchased commercial property in Minnesota and am renovating it for retail lease. I arrived here the first week of March. I am also working throughout the states of Minnesota, South Dakota and North Dakota on a contract project. I am a resident of Virginia, where open carry is a right of citizenship. In attempting to understand the legalities of open carry in Minnesota, I have encountered some telling responses to questions, like the following from a deputy sheriff:

"I do believe that it's time for you to put your money where your mouth has so boldy gone. You've agitated and stirred on this topic in two dififerent forums. Strap your pistol on in plain sight and start walking around. Downtown MPLS, downtown St. Paul, Mall of America, Southdale Mall. Take notes and report back."

http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33826&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No quantum leap Grapeshot. Open carry is ridiculed and open carriers are harassed on most Minnesota firearms related forums....and in real life.

--snipped--

This incident:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/06/23/mpls-man-police-beat-me-for-gun-despite-my-permit/

Was justified in the "gun community" of Minnesota

http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic....&sid=d2c331c8c1097360adbc56656e0c1d35#p360810

So, no, I don't think it's out of line to ask what kind of gathering this might be. Who is invited. What the "theme" will be....an open carry event where carriers can meet and greet and build trust among themselves and with the community, or a set up for the anti's to embarrass, humiliate or possibly kill someone not knowing what they're walking into. If you can predict how far an anti-open carry cop or police force can and will push an issue, I'll find my concerns addressed. Since you can't, I'll ask specifics about what I or someone I may bring along may encounter.

Just for hoots, read this one....

http://www.carryforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18760&sid=6af3ba6f531602f061f017b010acd29e

Snipped the trash talking CC forums - they're not worth considering.

The one incident that has any significance (man leaving nightclub - 1st remaining link) is followed up with the 2nd link which ends with the statement "Any new news on this? Kind of fell off the screen didn't it?" Bottom line is we don't know where the truth lay in that one-sided report.

You have responded with one possibly valid incident amidst a wall of links (more drama) and w/o any information from the other side of "he said" and no current state of the matter. There may be an entirely different ending than the one you suggest. I don't know and you appear to not know.

The 3rd link regarding police harassment has occurred in isolated circumstances in all states, including Va. I'm not going to read 5 pages, but doubt the OCer truly ended up on the short end of the stick.

I still hold that you played the "drama card" to excess. Here are you words to which I originally replied:
"The last thing I need is to spend Christmas in jail / hospital / morgue because of a set up by anti-open carry Minnesota police."

After a statement like that, I would have expected to see valid incidents with blood running down the streets or worse.

If you don't chose to OC in Minnesota, don't; but leave it to others to make decisions based on facts not emotions.

What I find strange is that even though in the interim the OP has clarified his intent, you still persisted in the same vein as if he had not.

Last edited:

robdoar

-Circle Pines (have not been there, don’t know of grub shacks around there, anyone know?)
Live near there,
Bamboo Betty's, Cowboy Saloon, McD's, Monterrey's Mexican, all a stone's throw away. I'd love to join you for food, but I won't go to bills.

I open carry every day anywhere from Bloomington, to St. Could, to White Bear Lake, never had an issue.

Snipped the trash talking CC forums - they're not worth considering.

Hardly. There's great info available there. Chew the meat, spit out the bones.

Please note if you plan on carrying at the meet you CANNOT upholster that weapon within Bill’s so please make sure you don’t carry the gun you intend to shoot!
Not true. You can carry in the gun you want to shoot holstered, and unholster it at the line. You cannot draw from the holster and fire.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Live near there,
Bamboo Betty's, Cowboy Saloon, McD's, Monterrey's Mexican, all a stone's throw away. I'd love to join you for food, but I won't go to bills.

I open carry every day anywhere from Bloomington, to St. Could, to White Bear Lake, never had an issue.

Hardly. There's great info available there. Chew the meat, spit out the bones.

Not true. You can carry in the gun you want to shoot holstered, and unholster it at the line. You cannot draw from the holster and fire.

Thanks Robdoar - that kind of "been there, done that" report is appreciated. Carrys a lot more weight than the emotional/hypothetical rants of others.

John Pierce, one of the owners of OCDO, finished his law degree in Minnesota not very long ago. Obviously he is a major proponent of OC and never reported any negative personal experiences when there.

Last edited:

Minnesota

Thanks robdoar and grapeshot for the great input and info!

I will be at Bill's in Robbinsdales this Sunday around noon. I am bringing my girlfriend as always and her friend is taging along that has never shot a pistol! Cant wait to pull her into the dark side! haha :banana:

if you happen to be there shoot me a text: six one two five five eight one one zero three

I will try to make it to either of the Bill's on tuesday Nov. 27th around 7pm.

-Nick-

robdoar

John Pierce, one of the owners of OCDO, finished his law degree in Minnesota not very long ago. Obviously he is a major proponent of OC and never reported any negative personal experiences when there.

Know John well. We will miss him at the Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance.

tman065

I couldn't help but chime in here, since Mr. Malrkey quoted part of what I,(deputy sheriff) said about open carry in the Twin Cities.

I have purchased commercial property in Minnesota and am renovating it for retail lease. I arrived here the first week of March. I am also working throughout the states of Minnesota, South Dakota and North Dakota on a contract project. I am a resident of Virginia, where open carry is a right of citizenship. In attempting to understand the legalities of open carry in Minnesota, I have encountered some telling responses to questions, like the following from a deputy sheriff:

tman065 said:
"I do believe that it's time for you to put your money where your mouth has so boldy gone. You've agitated and stirred on this topic in two dififerent forums. Strap your pistol on in plain sight and start walking around. Downtown MPLS, downtown St. Paul, Mall of America, Southdale Mall. Take notes and report back."

http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33826&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15[/QUOTE]

Here's the entire quote from the original thread, which includes some bits that were conveniently left off.
tman said:
fuller malarkey said:
Some other thoughts....

624.714 CARRYING OF WEAPONS WITHOUT PERMIT; PENALTIES.

Subd. 1b.Display of permit; penalty. (a) The holder of a permit to carry must have the permit card and a driver's license, state identification card, or other government-issued photo identification in immediate possession at all times when carrying a pistol and must display the permit card and identification document upon lawful demand by a peace officer, as defined in section 626.84, subdivision 1. A violation of this paragraph is a petty misdemeanor. The fine for a first offense must not exceed $25.

Petty misdemeanor for "failing to produce ze document". How will it look on the ol' ICR if the "perp" is beaten/killed for a petty misdemeanor?

Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation of this paragraph is not subject to forfeiture.

Doesn't say you shall be shot, beaten, jailed or sodomized for "failing to produce ze document". And your weapon isn't up for grabs. Does the statute not say "not subject to forfeiture"? If "someone" attempted to seize your weapon for "failure to produce ze document", would that not be an unlawful act on the part of the person doing the seizing??

(b) A citation issued for violating paragraph (a) must be dismissed if the person demonstrates, in court or in the office of the arresting officer, that the person was authorized to carry the pistol at the time of the alleged violation.

(c) Upon the request of a peace officer, a permit holder must write a sample signature in the officer's presence to aid in verifying the person's identity.

(d) Upon the request of a peace officer, a permit holder shall disclose to the officer whether or not the permit holder is currently carrying a firearm.

Doesn't say "surrender your weapon" there, does it?

My input is in bold. Just food for thought.

I do believe that it's time for you to put your money where your mouth has so boldy gone. You've agitated and stirred on this topic in two dififerent forums. Strap your pistol on in plain sight and start walking around. Downtown MPLS, downtown St. Paul, Mall of America, Southdale Mall. Take notes and report back.

If that type of activism isn't for you, let us know WHAT you're ACTUALLY DOING to change the law to something more in-line with whatever your personal views may be.

My point was that he's been "full of" Malarkey on the MN forums, and I wanted him to actually step away from the rhetoric and take some action. Taken out of context, I can see where it might appear that I'm making some sort of other kind of dare.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

My point was that he's been "full of" Malarkey on the MN forums, and I wanted him to actually step away from the rhetoric and take some action. Taken out of context, I can see where it might appear that I'm making some sort of other kind of dare.

Others have said as much - also manipulating quotes so as to change the message is a violation of forum rules. Consequently, he has attracted the attention of the administration/moderators.

BTW - welcome to OCDO. We try to be responsible and law abiding in all that we do. Hope you stay and continue to contribute - Minnesota could use a boost. :)

Minnesota

Had a great day at Bills in Robbinsdale yesterday! Got to bring out Hannah, a new shooter! She did wonderful for her first time ever shooting pistols. Kristine, my girlfriend did amazing as usual! She deffinatly keeps me on my toes in trying to hit as many bullseyes as she does! All in all the taurus 1911 45acp, taurus 992 22lr/mag, sig 1911. 22lr, and gp100 38special got a work out! Hannah now wants a sig 1911. 22lr lol

Hannah
_facebook_1685938890_.jpg

kristine
_facebook_22877356_.jpg

me, reloaded about 50 clips for the sig 1911 with only two ftf/fte on weak/dud bulk ammo.
_facebook_-1696312069_.jpg