• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Great Debate- Virginia- To Tuck, or not to Tuck

FreeInAZ

Ok, I am sorry I asked!

I hear you Raggs! Wow talk about beating a dead horse to death..Yah! Getty up! It;s a battle of the Mongo's here when it comes to will power...

[video=youtube_share;fwNJla8WvoY]http://youtu.be/fwNJla8WvoY?t=1m12s[/video]

TheQ

ive always felt that Clyde is a nice, literate guy. very supportive of civil rights.

he was doing the virginia tuck with a .40 glock subcompact at his election party i went to on tuesday, he expressed his displeasure over MI law with me about why the holster hidden under my shirt was empty(no carry w/o cpl in places that sell alcohol w/o permission) i think he would have been a great sheriff, at least compared to wrigglesworth.

this week ive carried at CADL Holt, game hits, steak n shake, lowes, menards and for a walk around holt.

Clyde doesn't Virginia tuck, he Mexican carries that Glock .40. Him and I have had several conversations about how he should get a quality IWB holster!

TheQ

Virginia Tuck is open carry - that is the point of it. Whether "all parts" are visible or not means nothing. In Virginia the test is that it be recognizable as a gun and not hidden from common observation. http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM

The sole part that satisfies the definition for Virginia Tuck is the manner in which the transition is made from what would be CC to OC.

I used the Virginia Tuck today when I tucked my leather jacket behind my holstered 1911 when I entered a restaurant for dinner. When I took my jacket off, I was still OCing. Both conditions of OC are very normal here in Virginia.

In the previous picture, the man's gun would be hidden if his T-shirt were not tucked behind it. While the holster would likely project out, the gun would be "hidden from common observation" = CC.

The Virginia Tuck may be OC in Virginia, but it is a grey area in Michigan. There has been at least one person tripped up and charged with CCW because if it. When the police officer was asked how she knew the person was carrying if it was concealed, the officer responded "I am a trained observer".

I think the case was plead out.

Michigan Open Carry, Inc. recommends and has always recommended that "open carry" in Michigan should be only with a fully outside of the waistband holster.

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Stuck in the front of your pants (waistband) w/o a holster.
Yeah, except it doesn't have to be the front, necessarily. Anytime it's tucked into the waistband, front, side, rear, without a holster, I've seen them all referred to as "Mexican" carry. I used to do that when I worked as a PI in Chicago. But I was younger, thinner, wore tighter pants, and was a lot dumber then too. ;)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yeah, except it doesn't have to be the front, necessarily. Anytime it's tucked into the waistband, front, side, rear, without a holster, I've seen them all referred to as "Mexican" carry. I used to do that when I worked as a PI in Chicago. But I was younger, thinner, wore tighter pants, and was a lot dumber then too. ;)

I actually still own my original, dedicated Mexican carry revolver - a S&W mod 60 w/bobbed hammer + Barami Hip-Grip & Tyler T-GRIP Adapter .

Some good reasons for these accessories being added found here:
http://snubtraining.wordpress.com/tag/barami-hip-grip/

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I actually still own my original, dedicated Mexican carry revolver - a S&W mod 60 w/bobbed hammer + Barami Hip-Grip & Tyler T-GRIP Adapter .

Some good reasons for these accessories being added found here:
http://snubtraining.wordpress.com/tag/barami-hip-grip/
Back in the day, I knew more than a few Chicago cops who carried like that off duty, and pretty much that same or a similar revolver. If I hadn't fallen in love with semi-autos so soon, I might have gone that route as well.