• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need a recommendation for a carry class in Claremore

okiephlyer

My father-in-law now wants to take the carry class and get his license. I have talked to him many times about why I carry and he seems to be ready for the class. I doubt he will carry, except in his car, but still, another gun in the right hands is a good thing. He won't leave the Claremore area, so I need to get recommendations for a class in or very near Claremore. He is 86, so anyone good with older folks would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for the help.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Is a class really required? While not a "carry" case, I think it cracks open the door for argument -- and this is a DC case

“..Attend a firearms training or safety course providing "a total of at least one hour of firing training at a firing range and a total of at least 4 hours of classroom instruction." § 7-2502.03(a)(13)(A)… All of these requirements, such as the mandatory five hours of firearm training and instruction, § 7-2502.03(a)(13)(A), make it considerably more difficult for a person lawfully to acquire and keep a firearm, including a handgun, for the purpose of self-defense in the home — the "core lawful purpose" protected by the Second Amendment, Heller, 554 U.S. at 630…. With respect to ..7-2502.03(a)(13)(A)…the judgment is vacated and this matter is remanded to the district court for further proceedings consistent with this opinion…” Dick Anthony Heller, ET AL., Appeallants v. District of Columibia, ET AL., Appellees. No 10-7036, United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit. Argued November 15, 2010, Decided October 4, 2011.

Last edited:

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Is a class really required? While not a "carry" case, I think it cracks open the door for argument -- and this is a DC case

“..Attend a firearms training or safety course providing "a total of at least one hour of firing training at a firing range and a total of at least 4 hours of classroom instruction." § 7-2502.03(a)(13)(A)… All of these requirements, such as the mandatory five hours of firearm training and instruction, § 7-2502.03(a)(13)(A), make it considerably more difficult for a person lawfully to acquire and keep a firearm, including a handgun, for the purpose of self-defense in the home — the "core lawful purpose" protected by the Second Amendment, Heller, 554 U.S. at 630…. With respect to ..7-2502.03(a)(13)(A)…the judgment is vacated and this matter is remanded to the district court for further proceedings consistent with this opinion…” Dick Anthony Heller, ET AL., Appeallants v. District of Columibia, ET AL., Appellees. No 10-7036, United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit. Argued November 15, 2010, Decided October 4, 2011.

That case is about a license being required to own and keep a firearm in your home. No such requirement exists in Oklahoma. A license is required to carry a concealed or unconcealed handgun in public in Oklahoma. In order to get said license, one must submit a certification that this course was successfully completed.

okiephlyer

Anybody out there? Hello? Somebody? I find it hard to believe that nobody has responded to the original question. Still, the question remains. Help?

Gary S

Anybody out there? Hello? Somebody? I find it hard to believe that nobody has responded to the original question. Still, the question remains. Help?
I don't know of any place of the top of my head but ill dig some and see if i can find something for you ill send you an email when i find it.

davidmcbeth

Banned

If a trainer has to be approved by the state, then the place to go is the agency that makes such approval..

Gary S

I don't know of any place of the top of my head but ill dig some and see if i can find something for you ill send you an email when i find it.

I found some info for you and sent it to your email. Let me know if it worked out for you.

okiephlyer

Got your email. Thanks for the legwork. I may have some time in the middle of the week to make some calls. Will let you know how it turns out.