• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Arrest

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
http://www.news9.com/story/20153306/police-okc-man-tries-to-vote-with-handgun-hanging-from-belt

Anyone know this guy? Discussion?
OKLAHOMA CITY -

An Oklahoma City man is behind bars for expressing his right to openly carry in the wrong place. Police arrested 23-year-old Ethan Sisson after they say he tried to vote with a handgun hanging from his belt.

Sisson is accused of violating Oklahoma's new "Open Carry" law. Police say he had a handgun on his hip when he tried to vote in the elections two weeks ago.

Excerpt ... Read more at the link above

Last edited by a moderator:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The story leaves a bit to be desired with regard to information. Who are these unprofessional jerks who deliberately omit relevant information from their stories?

When was he arrested? The clues seem to say he was arrested today. OK, so what took so long? Why did it take two weeks from the election for the government to get its act together? Is it because the law is unsettled and a prosecutor who has prosecutorial immunity has decided to go after the OCer in order to legislate a new piece into the law?

What is that prosecutor's record on gun rights? What did that prosecutor say during the campaign for open carry? What did that prosecutor say after the legislation passed?

This has an eerie similarity to our OCer out west a few years ago where a prosecutor argued that a judge should change the meaning of the word public so they could make the charges stick against the OCer.

You guys in Oklahoma, I'd recommend putting some energy into this one.

JDPrice

Story sounds more like a liberal hack, just trying to get arrested on purpose for the salvation of the "wild west".... IMHO
Smells of Fast and Furious

lmorganh

I hate to say it, but it seems as if this person was looking for the attention. I believe in the 2nd amendment right, but disguising yourself and then gloating about it afterwards is NOT the way to go about making people understand the new law.:banghead:

Robert318

So how did he get into vote with a disguise on if the polling place is supposed to verify his identification and did they not look at his ID? Also there's a previous thread on carrying in a polling place. It was discussed about whether or not it was rented by the board or it was donated by the owners of the facility and if it was donated and not leased that would mean that it's not state owned or leased place and unless the owners had signs posted for their facility it wouldnt be a violation. Therefore it seems to me that this would be very similar to the incident of the gentleman being kicked out of a public place that was rented by an individual to hold a cook out in Tulsa that was recently discussed on the form as well. However if the board leased the property or the facility then they would have control of it and it would fall under the certain places provision.

The other problem is with the news media, they never tell the whole story and or also give false information which leads people down the wrong road and should be held accountable or liable.
Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
**Title 21. Crimes and Punishments
****Chapter 48 - Miscellaneous and General Provisions
********Section*1201 - Penalty for Falsities in Newspapers
Cite as: O.S. §, __ __

Every editor or proprietor of any newspaper who willfully publishes in such newspaper as true, any statement which he has not good reason to believe to be true, with intent to increase thereby the sales of copies of such paper, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
They need to do their research before printing lies. Like its illegal to carry at parks, fairgrounds, liquor store, etc., and print it correctly or not at all.

Jakeus314

I hate to say it, but it seems as if this person was looking for the attention. I believe in the 2nd amendment right, but disguising yourself and then gloating about it afterwards is NOT the way to go about making people understand the new law.:banghead:

I'm not going to assume that revealing himself and gloating is an accurate description of what actually happened. Even if it is, attention seeking is somewhat necessary to spread the truth. If he's seeking attention just to get attention than that is dumb.

-jakeus

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Here are some facts as I understand them.

The polling place was a privately owned retirement home that donated space for the election. The "disguise" consisted of a hat and a jacket that concealed his firearm. He has been in contact with Doug Friesen, but he is not officially "retained" at this time. Mr. Sissons is not currently in jail, and Doug is trying to get hold of him. I only post that on the chance that Mr. Sissons is lurking here.

I've also received a message from a friend that Mr. Sissons was observed prior to this incident OCing at a restaurant and acting in a manner that made my pro OC friend feel very uneasy. I'm not going to elaborate on this... I'm thinking he might need some mentoring in the event that he manages to get his SDA license returned to him.

hermannr

Here are some facts as I understand them.

The polling place was a privately owned retirement home that donated space for the election. The "disguise" consisted of a hat and a jacket that concealed his firearm. He has been in contact with Doug Friesen, but he is not officially "retained" at this time. Mr. Sissons is not currently in jail, and Doug is trying to get hold of him. I only post that on the chance that Mr. Sissons is lurking here.

I've also received a message from a friend that Mr. Sissons was observed prior to this incident OCing at a restaurant and acting in a manner that made my pro OC friend feel very uneasy. I'm not going to elaborate on this... I'm thinking he might need some mentoring in the event that he manages to get his SDA license returned to him.

I do believe I read about this guy somewhere else (but not that he had been arrested)...The question to be answered is...The law does not state you cannot be armed at a polling place. However, most polling places are in restricted areas, or are leased and have a private lease right to restrict...(That is the argument, not sure how valid that argument is.)

Yes, he attempted to vote while OC, then did vote while concealed. Not sure where the law suit is going on a similar case in IN, but there was a person that was not allowed to vote (in the 2010 elections) in IN...he was in the process of suing the elections board last I heard.

That is what little I know about this.

hermannr

Oh, BTW: from what I read elsewhere this guy does not seem to be a total flake to me. His decision to take his coat off may not have been the wisest, but otherwise, he had done his research before he tried to vote.

Archerman99

I believe reading his account of what happened on election day on this forum, or on Facebook. I haven't been able to find it yet, but i swear i remember reading his post about this when he went and voted.
I remember him saying that he asked the retirement home if they got paid to be a polling place and they said no. I remember him saying also that he talked to the polling supervisor and they called someone at the election board whom he talked to over the phone.
I need to find his original post...anyone else remember that?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Y'all understand that if we go around criticizing one another on the basis of our opinions about "how that other guy carries", we just divide ourselves. Its not too dissimilar from concealed carriers claiming OCers are all wrong. Such CCers merely divide gunners. Rights are on the ropes enough in this nation without our giving our enemies support by criticizing how rights are exercised. I would urge widening the personal perspective a bit and rethinking objections to all but the most bizarre behaviors.

For example, a fella named Leonard Embody OCd an AK pistol in Tennessee a few years ago. A large number of gunners pounced on him. Personally, OCing an AK pistol wouldn't have been my approach; but I supported openly his right to OC it. It was not illegal. And, there is no requirement that one only carry a common weapon that doesn't give Nervous Nellies vapors and swoons.

Rights are rights are rights are rights. There is no requirement to exercise them in a conservative manner; but the anti-gunners and government will be happy for everyone to think so. And, they'll be happy for the division within our own ranks on the subject.

---------------------

We have been accused before of seeking attention. That's an accusation? Of course! many of us are seeking attention! We're rights activists! We want people to see us OCing. Separately, even people who want attention have rights.

The fella in the news report may not have used the smartest tactics, but even dumb people have rights.

Last edited:

Jakeus314

Y'all understand that if we go around criticizing one another on the basis of our opinions about "how that other guy carries", we just divide ourselves. Its not too dissimilar from concealed carriers claiming OCers are all wrong. Such CCers merely divide gunners. Rights are on the ropes enough in this nation without our giving our enemies support by criticizing how rights are exercised. I would urge widening the personal perspective a bit and rethinking objections to all but the most bizarre behaviors.

For example, a fella named Leonard Embody OCd an AK pistol in Tennessee a few years ago. A large number of gunners pounced on him. Personally, OCing an AK pistol wouldn't have been my approach; but I supported openly his right to OC it. It was not illegal. And, there is no requirement that one only carry a common weapon that doesn't give Nervous Nellies vapors and swoons.

Rights are rights are rights are rights. There is no requirement to exercise them in a conservative manner; but the anti-gunners and government will be happy for everyone to think so. And, they'll be happy for the division within our own ranks on the subject.

---------------------

We have been accused before of seeking attention. That's an accusation? Of course! many of us are seeking attention! We're rights activists! Separately, even people who want attention have rights.

The fella in the news report may not have used the smartest tactics, but even dumb people have rights.

Wow. Nice! :)

-jakeus

ethansisson

I can't say much, but I do want to say hello.

Bryan, I'd like to talk with you about the restaurant incident. I don't recall where or when that took place, so if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to hear some insight into what I was doing that might not have been appropriate. I'm at a loss. I'll leave a message with my phone number at the OKOCA number.

Last edited:

Robert318

I have been looking all day for a law that says you cant carry into a polling place and havent found one yet. I know the SDA states unlawful carry in certain places which includes state and federal buildings and that the election board is a state office.
TITLE 21 § 1277 UNLAWFUL CARRY IN CERTAIN PLACES
A. It shall be unlawful for any person in possession of a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry any concealed or unconcealed handgun into any of the following places:
1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;

But I did find some interesting information.
Title 26. Elections
Chapter A1 - Election Code
Article Article XVI - Penalties
Section 16-109 - Coercion Prohibited

Any person who, by means of coercion or any other method, knowingly attempts to prevent a qualified elector from becoming registered, or a registered voter from voting, shall be deemed guilty of a felony.

Also
Title 26. Elections
Chapter A1 - Election Code
Article Article XVI - Penalties
Section 16-113 - Interference With Voter or Conduct of Election

Any person, including a lawfully appointed watcher or exit pollster, who interferes with a registered voter who is attempting to vote, or any person who attempts to influence the vote of another by means of force or intimidation, or any person who interferes with the orderly and lawful conduct of an election shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor.

I found this info at,
http://www.oscn.net/applications/OCISWeb/Index.asp?ftdb=STOKST26&level=1

If anyone knows of any such law if one exists please share your resource so we can reference it, Thank you.

Frank B

It will be a good test case since the law doesn't specifically prohibit carry in a polling place although with a stretch they could try to make it fit in 1277 A(1).