Thread: OC at Richmond City Council? "We're in Virginia, and that ain't changing."

OC at Richmond City Council? "We're in Virginia, and that ain't changing."

This is just too hilarious for further comment ...

Council’s Rules: Popcorn? No! Firearms? Yes!
    A ban on food, drink and in particular applause is strictly enforced at City Council meetings. Less often discussed is what's allowed, such as handguns.

That's right, clap your hands in support of a fiery speech and you can expect a firm talking-to from the City Council president. Bring in some popcorn and soda and you might get a tap on the shoulder and shown the door. But under state law, anyone who isn't a felon can carry a gun or other weapon into City Council chambers.

That's exactly what Richmond resident Chris Dorsey, a frequent presence at council meetings, did last Monday. Carrying a small handgun in a holster at this side, Dorsey fidgeted in his seat, getting up several times to walk to the back of chambers. He eventually addressed council members during the public hearing on the Redskins deal. He opposes it with a passion.

That he was carrying a handgun startled a television reporter, who did a double-take and gave nearby police officers a sidelong glance when Dorsey walked by.

But a gun is allowed at council meetings as long as it isn't concealed or brandished in threatening way, City Council spokesman Steven Skinner confirms. Likewise, swords, nunchucks and other miscellaneous weapons also are permissible under state and local laws. Switchblades, throwing stars and brass knuckles are illegal in Virginia and thus not permissible in chambers.

It isn't uncommon for people to openly carry handguns into meetings, council members say. And while they might not all be comfortable with it, they recognize it's a state law that's unlikely to change.

"God knows how many people have walked in with guns," 1st District Councilman Bruce Tyler says. "We don't have any choice — we're in Virginia, and that ain't changing."
    "It isn't uncommon ... " Nice! I do have to wonder who exactly was "startled" - anyone know?

Chris Dorsey

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    This is just too hilarious for further comment ...

Council’s Rules: Popcorn? No! Firearms? Yes!

"It isn't uncommon ... " Nice! I do have to wonder who exactly was "startled" - anyone know?

Chris Dorsey
    That article is filled with incorrect info.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Would you care to elaborate on that and thus enlighten us?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    It like one of the pictures marked "How many cats can you find?"
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Would you care to elaborate on that and thus enlighten us?
    That's 1
    But a gun is allowed at council meetings as long as it isn't concealed

Many more!

But a gun is allowed at council meetings as long as it isn't concealed or brandished in threatening way, City Council spokesman Steven Skinner confirms. Likewise, swords, nunchucks and other miscellaneous weapons also are permissible under state and local laws. Switchblades, throwing stars and brass knuckles are illegal in Virginia and thus not permissible in chambers.
    Three (maybe four but it's not specific enough to tell - I'll just give them credit for old times' sake).

You can't even count on "We're in Virginia, and that aint changing" as being absolute - there has been talk of gerrymandering Richmond and a narrow strip of US 1 to be part of NotVa that will be carved off and made part of either DC (serves them right) or Mary's Land. Last I heard someone was advertising for bids on rerouting the Potomac River from Cumberland southeast to below Winchester and then to meet up with the Ni River.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

But a gun is allowed at council meetings as long as it isn't brandished in threatening way.

Bet Skidmark could tell us a lot about that.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Three (maybe four but it's not specific enough to tell - I'll just give them credit for old times' sake).
    You can add to your list of incorrect statements - "But under state law, anyone who isn't a felon can carry a gun or other weapon into City Council chambers."
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Regular Member Old Virginia Joe's Avatar

i'm confused. . . . .

what is the source of this "article?" Doesn't it have to be attributed at all?
    VCDL, Army Vet, Virginia Native

Hey, Libtards, it's the "Bill of Rights," not the "Bill of Needs" . . . . .

If the 2A does not apply to modern weapons, then the 1A does not apply to modern communications like the Internet! How do you like them apples!?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Virginia Joe View Post
    Only if it goes against what we already know and accept

Would be nice though, wouldn't it.

Click on this link Council’s Rules: Popcorn? No! Firearms? Yes! which takes you to the original article in its source document.

This is not rocket surgery, folks.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Regular Member Old Virginia Joe's Avatar
    Click on this link Council’s Rules: Popcorn? No! Firearms? Yes! which takes you to the original article in its source document.

This is not rocket surgery, folks.

stay safe.
    Yeah, yeah---some of us have things to do in life other than sit on the computer all day (every single day) and move our cursor around the screen non-stop, looking for the occasional chance that some of the text on the screen might actually be linked to a website! Yeah, I know--I'm under 2,000 posts here so I can't have a valid opinion, so sue me.
    VCDL, Army Vet, Virginia Native

Hey, Libtards, it's the "Bill of Rights," not the "Bill of Needs" . . . . .

If the 2A does not apply to modern weapons, then the 1A does not apply to modern communications like the Internet! How do you like them apples!?

Wowwie!!!

Yeah, yeah---some of us have things to do in life other than sit on the computer all day (every single day) and move our cursor around the screen non-stop, looking for the occasional chance that some of the text on the screen might actually be linked to a website! Yeah, I know--I'm under 2,000 posts here so I can't have a valid opinion, so sue me.
    Dont be such a DWARK!
    You should be gratefull that someone with the skills, the time, and that cares enough to actually look up some stuff for us is here...
    I know I am gratefull that Skidmark, he walks the walk, and knows how to talk too...
    He actually is a Rocket Surgeryman!

Sooo,,, tell me... Who the heck! ARE YOU????
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

OK. I'll bite on this one. I did take the time to read the article and it seemed to read the same as what was posted so I'll ask the question since I don't are to compare the texts side by side. What parts are you talking about that were not true? I think the question was posed to spark a discussion and not test credibility.

Just because you give me such a wide opening for the opportunity to yank your chain -

most often that color of blue indicates a link. I have no understanding of why it happens, but computer geeks must have sat around some table somewhere and, in between games of Dungeons and Dragons, come up with an agreement that it would be that way. The rest of us just consider it a "clue".

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Just because you give me such a wide opening for the opportunity to yank your chain -

most often that color of blue indicates a link. I have no understanding of why it happens, but computer geeks must have sat around some table somewhere and, in between games of Dungeons and Dragons, come up with an agreement that it would be that way. The rest of us just consider it a "clue".

stay safe.
    In case anyone really cares about the choice of color. From what I can find, Blue was essentially chosen by Tim Berners-Lee (first person to successfully implement HTML) around 1993 due to the limitations of 16 bit color in the early 1990s as Blue was the second darkest color in the palette, the darkest being black.

To keep on topic, I OCed while researching this.
    http://bit.ly/UnFNSu
    http://bit.ly/TZ1dkr
    http://b.qr.ae/TlXOOf
    http://bit.ly/Rd8zGq
    Last edited by Sesrun; 11-26-2012 at 09:50 AM.