• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at Richmond City Council? "We're in Virginia, and that ain't changing."

Repeater

This is just too hilarious for further comment ...

[size=+1]Council’s Rules: Popcorn? No! Firearms? Yes![/size]
A ban on food, drink and in particular applause is strictly enforced at City Council meetings. Less often discussed is what's allowed, such as handguns.

That's right, clap your hands in support of a fiery speech and you can expect a firm talking-to from the City Council president. Bring in some popcorn and soda and you might get a tap on the shoulder and shown the door. But under state law, anyone who isn't a felon can carry a gun or other weapon into City Council chambers.

That's exactly what Richmond resident Chris Dorsey, a frequent presence at council meetings, did last Monday. Carrying a small handgun in a holster at this side, Dorsey fidgeted in his seat, getting up several times to walk to the back of chambers. He eventually addressed council members during the public hearing on the Redskins deal. He opposes it with a passion.

That he was carrying a handgun startled a television reporter, who did a double-take and gave nearby police officers a sidelong glance when Dorsey walked by.

But a gun is allowed at council meetings as long as it isn't concealed or brandished in threatening way, City Council spokesman Steven Skinner confirms. Likewise, swords, nunchucks and other miscellaneous weapons also are permissible under state and local laws. Switchblades, throwing stars and brass knuckles are illegal in Virginia and thus not permissible in chambers.

It isn't uncommon for people to openly carry handguns into meetings, council members say. And while they might not all be comfortable with it, they recognize it's a state law that's unlikely to change.

"God knows how many people have walked in with guns," 1st District Councilman Bruce Tyler says. "We don't have any choice — we're in Virginia, and that ain't changing."

"It isn't uncommon ... " Nice! I do have to wonder who exactly was "startled" - anyone know?

picture

[size=+2]Chris Dorsey[/size]

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
But a gun is allowed at council meetings as long as it isn't concealed or brandished in threatening way, City Council spokesman Steven Skinner confirms. Likewise, swords, nunchucks and other miscellaneous weapons also are permissible under state and local laws. Switchblades, throwing stars and brass knuckles are illegal in Virginia and thus not permissible in chambers.

Three (maybe four but it's not specific enough to tell - I'll just give them credit for old times' sake).

You can't even count on "We're in Virginia, and that aint changing" as being absolute - there has been talk of gerrymandering Richmond and a narrow strip of US 1 to be part of NotVa that will be carved off and made part of either DC (serves them right) or Mary's Land. Last I heard someone was advertising for bids on rerouting the Potomac River from Cumberland southeast to below Winchester and then to meet up with the Ni River.:eek:

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
But a gun is allowed at council meetings as long as it isn't brandished in threatening way.

Bet Skidmark could tell us a lot about that. :lol:

Old Virginia Joe

Click on this link [SIZE=+1]Council’s Rules: Popcorn? No! Firearms? Yes![/SIZE] which takes you to the original article in its source document.

This is not rocket surgery, folks.

stay safe.

Yeah, yeah---some of us have things to do in life other than sit on the computer all day (every single day) and move our cursor around the screen non-stop, looking for the occasional chance that some of the text on the screen might actually be linked to a website! Yeah, I know--I'm under 2,000 posts here so I can't have a valid opinion, so sue me.

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!

Yeah, yeah---some of us have things to do in life other than sit on the computer all day (every single day) and move our cursor around the screen non-stop, looking for the occasional chance that some of the text on the screen might actually be linked to a website! Yeah, I know--I'm under 2,000 posts here so I can't have a valid opinion, so sue me.

Dont be such a DWARK!
You should be gratefull that someone with the skills, the time, and that cares enough to actually look up some stuff for us is here...
I know I am gratefull that Skidmark, he walks the walk, and knows how to talk too...
He actually is a Rocket Surgeryman!

Sooo,,, tell me... Who the heck! ARE YOU????

HardChrome

OK. I'll bite on this one. I did take the time to read the article and it seemed to read the same as what was posted so I'll ask the question since I don't are to compare the texts side by side. What parts are you talking about that were not true? I think the question was posed to spark a discussion and not test credibility.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Just because you give me such a wide opening for the opportunity to yank your chain -

most often that color of blue indicates a link. I have no understanding of why it happens, but computer geeks must have sat around some table somewhere and, in between games of Dungeons and Dragons, come up with an agreement that it would be that way. The rest of us just consider it a "clue".:p

stay safe.

Sesrun

Just because you give me such a wide opening for the opportunity to yank your chain -

most often that color of blue indicates a link. I have no understanding of why it happens, but computer geeks must have sat around some table somewhere and, in between games of Dungeons and Dragons, come up with an agreement that it would be that way. The rest of us just consider it a "clue".:p

stay safe.

In case anyone really cares about the choice of color. From what I can find, Blue was essentially chosen by Tim Berners-Lee (first person to successfully implement HTML) around 1993 due to the limitations of 16 bit color in the early 1990s as Blue was the second darkest color in the palette, the darkest being black.

To keep on topic, I OCed while researching this. :)
http://bit.ly/UnFNSu
http://bit.ly/TZ1dkr
http://b.qr.ae/TlXOOf
http://bit.ly/Rd8zGq

Last edited: