• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any un-posted liquor stores in OKC

Archerman99

So I just went to Grand-Cru liquor store on N. May and Britton and noticed they have a brand new, big no gun sign in their window.
Now I do not have my license yet, but have turned in my paperwork some time ago and am expecting my license any time now.
I am trying to get into the habit of looking for the gun busters and not supporting those businesses (I know I'll get a ration for it, but I went ahead and bought what I needed there)

So while checking out I had a conversation with the 2 guys checking me out. I asked...is that a new "no gun" sign on the door, and one of the guys said "sure is"
I said, trying to approach the conversation kind of light hearted...."well that makes me sad, I don't want to have to find another place to go, why did you guys put that up?"
Then the other guy chimed in and said, "there was a new law that passed and in it it said that you can not carry in liquor stores anyway"
I said, believe it or not, thats actually not true, the law says you can not carry into a business whose primary business is the consumption of alcohol, not the sale of alcohol.
He repeated again...no it says in the law that you can't carry into liquor stores. At this point, I could tell he was getting kind of defensive.

So I said, "well I have actually read the law several times, and I could have sworn it says the consumption of alcohol, not the sale of, but I'll have to look into that."
The guys said, yeah well ok, and just turned and walked away.

So I went to the car and grabbed my SDA book and a copy of the "Letter to Businesses" and went back inside.
The guy that said liquor stores were included in the law was no longer up front, but the other guy was, so I got his attention and showed him the SDA book.
I showed him where it said consumed and not sale, he was pretty unresponsive and was just like, "oh, ok, I didn't know that"
I gave him a copy of the letter to businesses and left.

So...all that being said...anyone know of any liquor stores that are not posted?
I have not done a lot of looking around at other places, but would like to find a place like Grand Cru that has a good selection and is carry friendly.

hrdware

That's awesome. Correcting people. This is what needs to happen out there so people understand.

Agreed. Good job trying to educate them, but you really have to educate the manager or owner to get the sign to come down.

You could also point out that that particular part of the law was not changed (accept to allow open carry).

Archerman99

Agreed. Good job trying to educate them, but you really have to educate the manager or owner to get the sign to come down.

You could also point out that that particular part of the law was not changed (accept to allow open carry).

I was actually looking around for him when I was talking to the guy and was going to ask for him, but they were slammed and I was holding up the line.
I figured they would never listen to what I had to say if I was pi$$ing off the customers behind me.

I fulling intend to go back and ask for the owner next week after Thanksgiving dies down. In the mean time, I plan on looking for stores in the area that are not posted and let him know which of his competitors in the area are carry friendly and where is business will be going if the sign is not taken down or changed to only disallow illegal firearms.

Last edited:

Joe in Norman

Cellar Wine And Spirits in Norman..

For the life of me I am unable to remember if I was OC or Concealed but I am positive I was there recently carrying. I actually do look for the gunbuster hate at the front door when I do have my weapons on me. The place has a great selection being in a large building formerly Hobby Lobby on Main St. across the street from CiCi's Pizza in downtown Norman. Very nice and helpful when my wife stops in there (Duh!). :)

Archerman99

TITLE 21 § 1272.1 CARRYING FIREARMS WHERE LIQUOR IS CONSUMED
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or possess any weapon designated in Section 1272 of this title in any establishment where low-point beer, as defined by Section 163.2 of Title 37 of the Oklahoma Statutes, or alcoholic beverages, as defined by Section 506 of Title 37 of the Oklahoma Statutes, are consumed.
This provision shall not apply to a peace officer, as defined in Section 99 of this title, or to private investigators with a firearms authorization when acting in the scope and course of employment, and shall not apply to an owner or proprietor of the establishment having a pistol, rifle, or shotgun on the premises.
Provided however, a person possessing a valid handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act may carry the concealed or unconcealed handgun into any restaurant or other establishment licensed to dispense low-point beer or alcoholic beverages where the sale of low-point beer or alcoholic beverages does not constitute the primary purpose of the business.

Provided further, nothing in this section shall be interpreted to authorize any peace officer in actual physical possession of a weapon to consume low-point beer or alcoholic beverages, except in the authorized line of duty as an undercover officer.
Nothing in this section shall be interpreted to authorize any private investigator with a firearms authorization in actual physical possession of a weapon to consume low-point beer or alcoholic beverages in any establishment where low-point beer or alcoholic beverages are consumed.

B. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1272.2 of this title.

TITLE 21 § 1272.2 PENALTY FOR FIREARM IN LIQUOR ESTABLISHMENT
Any person who intentionally or knowingly carries on his or her person any weapon in violation of Section 1272.1 of this title, shall, upon conviction, be guilty of a felony punishable by a fine not to exceed One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00), or imprisonment in the custody of the Department of Corrections for a period not to exceed two (2) years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.
Any person convicted of violating the provisions of this section after having been issued a handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall have the license revoked by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation after a hearing and determination that the person is in violation of Section 1272.1 of this title.

So I was reading through the section regarding firearms and liquor again and can't help but find some of the working interesting.
First off, the title alone says CONSUMED, I would think that right there should define what this section of the law is about...the consumption of alcohol, not the sale of.
They use the word consumed again in the first sentence
But then, when it starts talking about a person possessing a valid handgun license, they use dispense. (Could be open for interpretation)
Then it goes on to say, "where the sale of...primary purpose of the business" We are to assume that the sale is for consumption onsite and not a liquor store.

Now I don't personally think this section in anyway is referring to a liquor store, but I could see how someone may not understand that and how misinformation could get spread.
Anyway...enough of my .02

cbxer55

I know this is not OKC, but I found that A and A Liquor on Douglas and NE10th does not have a sign. I have been going to Andy"s on Midwest Blvd and SE29th, for a long time now, but they recently put up a sign. Tried talking them, but they insist the new Open Carry law is stupid. I said so the constitution is stupid? They just shrugged. Will not be going back there again, and I told them that. They just shrugged.

Last edited:

Cindy

Please come to Port63Liquor!

Please come to our store! We are a family owned liquor store located on the corner of NW 63rd and Portland. Right next to 7-11. We have an amazing selection of wine!! but, if we don't have what you are looking for, just tell us and we will get it for you!! You are welcome to carry your gun in any time!!

You are absolutely right, and that liquor store is wrong! You are buying liquor in the store, not consuming it, and that is the difference!

Port63Liquor
3637 NW 63rd
Oklahoma City, Ok 73116
405-254-5552

Be safe everyone!

Charles Watts

Here are a few. -- When I asked, both the stores and a few LE officials they said it referred to consumption....but this is a grey area.

Burch Liqour at 23rd and Council is not posted ... new ownership will be taking over so not sure their stance as of yet, but current owner is 100% supportive and is OC as well.
Bethany Liqour at 36th and Rockwell is not posted and supportive. They asked me if I was a police officer and I replied 'no ma'am' and they said cool. Had a great chat after that.
44 liqour at 44th and I-35 is not posted and he has been supportive the times I was in there.

Last edited:

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Here are a few. -- When I asked, both the stores and a few LE officials they said it referred to consumption....but this is a grey area.

Burch Liqour at 23rd and Council is not posted ... new ownership will be taking over so not sure their stance as of yet, but current owner is 100% supportive and is OC as well.
Bethany Liqour at 36th and Rockwell is not posted and supportive. They asked me if I was a police officer and I replied 'no ma'am' and they said cool. Had a great chat after that.
44 liqour at 44th and I-35 is not posted and he has been supportive the times I was in there.

The law as posted above is anything but a grey area. It's what I call "bright line law". The only prohibitions relating to alcohol sales in Oklahoma Statutes are 1) You cannot carry in a bar, and 2) you cannot carry while intoxicated. The first is further clarified that a restaurant that serves alcohol that their alcohol sales for consumption is not the primary purpose of the business. It's crystal clear. Carry in a liquor store is NOT a violation of State law.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, and WELCOME TO OCDO!

Last edited:

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Please come to our store! We are a family owned liquor store located on the corner of NW 63rd and Portland. Right next to 7-11. We have an amazing selection of wine!! but, if we don't have what you are looking for, just tell us and we will get it for you!! You are welcome to carry your gun in any time!!

You are absolutely right, and that liquor store is wrong! You are buying liquor in the store, not consuming it, and that is the difference!

Port63Liquor
3637 NW 63rd
Oklahoma City, Ok 73116
405-254-5552

Be safe everyone!

Thanks for posting this. I hope you will stick around to contribute more. WELCOME TO OCDO!

hrdware

Moore Liquor

Although not in OKC, Moore liquor (914 SW 4th Street Moore, OK 73160) gave me this response when I asked about their carry policy:

Moore Liquor said:
we welcome all customers...armed or unarmed

Archerman99

Port63Liquor
3637 NW 63rd
Oklahoma City, Ok 73116
405-254-5552

Be safe everyone!

Thank you Cindy! I work just down the street from you on Expressway and May. You will be my new stop on the way home. Thank you for posting and for the support!

Bullbuster

Port63Liquor
3637 NW 63rd
Oklahoma City, Ok 73116
405-254-5552

Be safe everyone!

Thank you very much for the post and business offer. While you are on the other side of town from me I may just have to stop in just to thank you in person and maybe got me some Wild Turkey 101.

Aknazer

The law as posted above is anything but a grey area. It's what I call "bright line law". The only prohibitions relating to alcohol sales in Oklahoma Statutes are 1) You cannot carry in a bar, and 2) you cannot carry while intoxicated. The first is further clarified that a restaurant that serves alcohol that their alcohol sales for consumption is not the primary purpose of the business. It's crystal clear. Carry in a liquor store is NOT a violation of State law.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, and WELCOME TO OCDO!

The issue is with #2 as this part of the law doesn't define "intoxicated." As such does one go by the driving portion, or are they trying to say a single drop is "intoxicated?" Personally I don't want to risk dealing with an overzealous cop if I choose to have a single drink with dinner and am OCing so I just don't drink if I'm OCing. After all, in order to be intoxicated (by the definition, not the law) one has to have enough in their system to have it actually affect them. So without the law defining a set amount it is really hard to say that someone is intoxicated should they blow a relatively low number.

But yes, as for where one may carry, it is clear and obvious that a liquor store isn't a prohibited place...unless there's a liquor store out there that is also a bar!

Robert318

The issue is with #2 as this part of the law doesn't define "intoxicated." As such does one go by the driving portion, or are they trying to say a single drop is "intoxicated?" Personally I don't want to risk dealing with an overzealous cop if I choose to have a single drink with dinner and am OCing so I just don't drink if I'm OCing. After all, in order to be intoxicated (by the definition, not the law) one has to have enough in their system to have it actually affect them. So without the law defining a set amount it is really hard to say that someone is intoxicated should they blow a relatively low number.

But yes, as for where one may carry, it is clear and obvious that a liquor store isn't a prohibited place...unless there's a liquor store out there that is also a bar!

I'm not a lawyer or liquor store owner but I'm pretty sure that it is illegal to consume alcohol in a liquor store. One that would be drinking in public and two they are not a licensed bar meaning they can only sale alcohol that's packaged to be consumed later.

Also the law says
TITLE 21 § 1289.9 CARRYING WEAPONS UNDER INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or use shotguns, rifles or pistols in any circumstances while under the influence of beer, intoxicating liquors or any hallucinogenic, or any unlawful or unprescribed drug, and it shall be unlawful for any person to carry or use shotguns, rifles or pistols when under the influence of any drug prescribed by a licensed physician if the after effects of such consumption affect mental, emotional or physical processes to a degree that would result in abnormal behavior. Any person convicted of a violation of the provisions of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1289.15 of this title.
Any person convicted of a violation of the provisions of this section after having been issued a handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall have the license suspended for a term of six (6) months and shall be subject to an administrative fine of Fifty Dollars ($50.00), upon a hearing and determination by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation that the person is in violation of the provisions of this section.

The second bold sure sounds to me that only if it causes abnormal behavior would it therefore be a violation. So what defines abnormal behavior? And then there is the first bold, what defines under the influence. Is it a number on a breath test or is it abnormal behavior or a single drop?

Sure seems pretty gray to me about consumption but the the the bar part is pretty clear to me.

Aknazer

I'm not a lawyer or liquor store owner but I'm pretty sure that it is illegal to consume alcohol in a liquor store. One that would be drinking in public and two they are not a licensed bar meaning they can only sale alcohol that's packaged to be consumed later.

Oh, I was saying that it is clear that it would be legal to carry in a liquor store unless the place was also a bar. Meaning that like the place also had the required permits to serve alcohol. Imagine a place where you walk to one side and order a drink, and then the other side where you just flat out buy a bottle. Of course a place like this doesn't exist (it would work against itself. I mean who would pay bar alcohol costs when they could walk to the other side and simply buy it at actual value) and it was more meant as a joke for the only way it would be illegal by law (as opposed to signage) to carry in a liquor store.

Also the law says

The second bold sure sounds to me that only if it causes abnormal behavior would it therefore be a violation. So what defines abnormal behavior? And then there is the first bold, what defines under the influence. Is it a number on a breath test or is it abnormal behavior or a single drop?

Sure seems pretty gray to me about consumption but the the the bar part is pretty clear to me.

Exactly, it's such a gray area I wouldn't want to carry and drink even one drink because I can see an over-zealous cop causing a lot of pain simply because you had a single drink and are OCing.

hrdware

Also the law says
TITLE 21 § 1289.9 CARRYING WEAPONS UNDER INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or use shotguns, rifles or pistols in any circumstances while under the influence of beer, intoxicating liquors or any hallucinogenic, or any unlawful or unprescribed drug, and it shall be unlawful for any person to carry or use shotguns, rifles or pistols when under the influence of any drug prescribed by a licensed physician if the after effects of such consumption affect mental, emotional or physical processes to a degree that would result in abnormal behavior. Any person convicted of a violation of the provisions of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1289.15 of this title.
Any person convicted of a violation of the provisions of this section after having been issued a handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall have the license suspended for a term of six (6) months and shall be subject to an administrative fine of Fifty Dollars ($50.00), upon a hearing and determination by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation that the person is in violation of the provisions of this section.

Your second bold item does not apply to consumption of alcohol and therefore can not be applied to the definition. The second bold section applies to the after effects of prescribed medications. This is a combined sentence joined by the word and. If the second bold part was meant to apply to the first part of the compound sentence there would be no need to repeat the subject of the sentence.

If the second bold part was meant to apply to all things in that sentence, instead of the contraction "and" an "or" could have been used (just like it was in the list of things in the first part of the compound sentence) and what is unlawful would not have needed to be repeated.

This is just my opinion and I am not a lawyer, but that's the way I read it grammatically.