• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

can i oc at 20yrs old without a permint in VA

spaz5126

i beleave i already know the answer is yes but my question is can i open carry my handgun in the stae of virgina without a permit at 20 years old?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
thank you for the reply.... do you know of any groups that get together in sw va?

You're in luck! A fella named Spaz5126 just volunteered to organize a get together. :)

No, I don't know of any groups, but it depends on exactly where you mean by southwest VA.

Also, you could expand your options and join Virginia Citizens Defense League at vcdl.org. Most of the VA open carriers on this site are also VCDLers. Keep an eye out for meetings and picnics and so forth out your way.

And, you can always start a thread here to see if you can get some interest in a get together. Meetings at restaurants and coffee shops seem pretty popular.

Welcome to OCDO! (Open Carry dot Org)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Nearly everyone outside of Roanoke OC's in one way or another but members are few and far between out there.

Lynchburg is the closest place with really active OC people I can think of.

Last edited:

spaz5126

yea Lynchburg is about 4hrs away from me im around an hour away from abbington wish there was more peole that oc's around here :) ima get the word out around my area and see if i can bring more people to using there right to oc

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
yea Lynchburg is about 4hrs away from me im around an hour away from abbington wish there was more peole that oc's around here :) ima get the word out around my area and see if i can bring more people to using there right to oc

Talk to a few people in your area. That's hunting territory and most people have a rifle or shotgun in the truck as well as a handgun stuck somewhere.They carry when they feel the need rather than all the time. There are a few that have get togethers in Russell and Floyd that I know of...but again, very few OCDO and fewer VCDL members.

Start organizing a breakfast or dinner once in a while.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Actually, you've got quite an opportunity Spaz. Almost virgin territory.

If you start OCing regularly, people are going to ask you about it. Then you can promote carry and this website. Before long you'll create a few other carriers, and then you'll have an OC group going.

Do read up on the laws, where you can and can't carry, what to do if asked to leave a business, and so forth.

Also, its really helpful to learn your rights just in case you encounter a deputy.

Last edited:

Mayhem

18.2-308.7

i beleave i already know the answer is yes but my question is can i open carry my handgun in the stae of virgina without a permit at 20 years old?

I saw people say you could but never explained why.

In Virginia, you can possess a handgun and even buy one privately at age 18. But to purchase from a FFL you must be 21.

There is no "permit" in Virginia unless you are looking to carry concealed.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.7

18.2-308.7. Possession or transportation of certain firearms by persons under the age of 18; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person under 18 years of age to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport a handgun or assault firearm anywhere in the Commonwealth.

For the purposes of this section, "handgun" means any pistol or revolver or other firearm originally designed, made and intended to fire single or multiple projectiles by means of an explosion of a combustible material from one or more barrels when held in one hand and "assault firearm" means any (i) semi-automatic centerfire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (ii) shotgun with a magazine which will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered. A violation of this section shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor.

This section shall not apply to:

1. Any person
(i) while in his home or on his property;
(ii) while in the home or on the property of his parent, grandparent, or legal guardian; or
(iii) while on the property of another who has provided prior permission, and with the prior permission of his parent or legal guardian if the person has the landowner's written permission on his person while on such property;

2. Any person who, while accompanied by an adult, is at, or going to and from, a lawful shooting range or firearms educational class, provided that the weapons are unloaded while being transported;

3. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or going to and from a hunting area or preserve, provided that the weapons are unloaded while being transported; and

4. Any person while carrying out his duties in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard of this Commonwealth or any other state.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Actually, you've got quite an opportunity Spaz. Almost virgin territory.

If you start OCing regularly, people are going to ask you about it. Then you can promote carry and this website. Before long you'll create a few other carriers, and then you'll have an OC group going.

Do read up on the laws, where you can and can't carry, what to do if asked to leave a business, and so forth.

Also, its really helpful to learn your rights just in case you encounter a deputy.

And always carry a digital recorder turned on from the time you leave your home - cheap insurance.

VApatriot

Welcome aboard, Spaz!

I'm currently in South West Virginia (Blacksburg) and I OC from time to time around here and Christiansburg. VCDL (Virgina Citizens Defense League) has started to have fairly regular meetings at a restaurant in Christiansburg. I'm not sure when the next one might be, but that would be a great place to get together with other OC'rs. If you haven't heard of VCDL before, I would definitely check them out. They're absolutely the best gun rights group in Virginia.

To your original question, I know that others have already clearly answered it, but I will personally vouch that open carry without a permit, and while under the age of 21, is perfectly legal in Virginia. I started open carrying in northern Virginia when I was 18, and I never had any problems at all from cops. Oddly, the only place that I would ever really run into any trouble at all was at gun stores. Often, as soon as they found out that I was under 21 and in possession of a handgun, gun store clerks would have a mini freakout and start telling me that I could get arrested. I knew better, and I had to assure them that I understood the applicable laws and that I was not breaking any of them.

The most important thing is that you do know all the laws before you start to open carry, that way you can be confident that you are right, in the unlikely event that you run into trouble with a misguided citizen or cop. I would very highly recommend getting a copy of The Virginia Gun Owner's Guide http://www.vcdl.org/static/store.html. It really makes Virginia's laws very clear, and it would be a great item to put on a Christmas list.

papa bear

i believe the next VCDL get together is in Christiansburg at Amilia's on Dec 17th. maybe. Al is the lead in this area. there area few other members on here that might know for sure. even if you are not a member (i don't know why you wouldn't be) you are more than welcome to come