• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ammo

Raggs

With a CPL while carrying in Michigan are there laws regarding the transport of ammo? Someone I know was told in a cpl class that the ammo has to be locked away. Is this true?

Xanaseyr

As long as it's not in a non-pistol in a vehicle, you can do pretty much whatever you like with your ammunition.

xmanhockey7

No, no law regarding where the ammo is as long as it's not in the gun. If you have a CPL obviously you can have it loaded in a handgun but long guns must be unloaded.

Raggs

No, no law regarding where the ammo is as long as it's not in the gun. If you have a CPL obviously you can have it loaded in a handgun but long guns must be unloaded.

and if there is no gun in the vehicle then the ammo can also be anywhere no matter who is driving the vehicle right?

Michigander

If you go back a few decades, before preemption, some localities used to have moronic laws about ammunition transport and carry. Old timers can sometimes end up getting confused over this.

But not any more. Either the law requires it to be out of the gun or it doesn't. And even in those circumstances where it can't be in the gun, store it anywhere else you want.

There may be certain exceptions to this you'll run into, like federally controlled areas, but in general, do what you want with loose ammo, and by that I mean any ammo which isn't loaded into a gun, whether it be in speed loaders or magazines or just loose. Do what you want.

TheQ

If you go back a few decades, before preemption, some localities used to have moronic laws about ammunition transport and carry. Old timers can sometimes end up getting confused over this.

But not any more. Either the law requires it to be out of the gun or it doesn't. And even in those circumstances where it can't be in the gun, store it anywhere else you want.

There may be certain exceptions to this you'll run into, like federally controlled areas, but in general, do what you want with loose ammo, and by that I mean any ammo which isn't loaded into a gun, whether it be in speed loaders or magazines or just loose. Do what you want.

CPL holder drinking needs to have filled magazine stored apart from gun.

Bronson

CPL holder drinking needs to have filled magazine stored apart from gun.

I know what you meant but you know that somebody is going to come along, read what you wrote and ask: "so I can have ammo in with the gun as long as it's not in the magazine?" :lol: :lol:

In the case of a CPL holder with some level of BAC all ammo for the properly stored gun must be separated from the gun whether it's loose, in a magazine or speedloader, or brand new in the box.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(2r...eg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-28-425k

(3) This section does not prohibit an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol who has any bodily alcohol content from doing any of the following:

(a) Transporting that pistol in the locked trunk of his or her motor vehicle or another motor vehicle in which he or she is a passenger or, if the vehicle does not have a trunk, from transporting that pistol unloaded in a locked compartment or container that is separated from the ammunition for that pistol.

(b) Transporting that pistol on a vessel if the pistol is transported unloaded in a locked compartment or container that is separated from the ammunition for that pistol.

Bronson

SpringerXDacp

I know what you meant but you know that somebody is going to come along, read what you wrote and ask: "so I can have ammo in with the gun as long as it's not in the magazine?" :lol: :lol:

In the case of a CPL holder with some level of BAC all ammo for the properly stored gun must be separated from the gun whether it's loose, in a magazine or speedloader, or brand new in the box.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(2r...eg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-28-425k

Bronson

Only if the vehicle you're in (yours or someome elses, as a driver or passenger) does not have a trunk or if you're on a boat.

(3) This section does not prohibit an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol who has any bodily alcohol content from doing any of the following:

(a) Transporting that pistol in the locked trunk of his or her motor vehicle or another motor vehicle in which he or she is a passenger or, if the vehicle does not have a trunk, from transporting that pistol unloaded in a locked compartment or container that is separated from the ammunition for that pistol.

(b) Transporting that pistol on a vessel if the pistol is transported unloaded in a locked compartment or container that is separated from the ammunition for that pistol.

:lol:

Bronson

Only if the vehicle you're in (yours or someome elses, as a driver or passenger) does not have a trunk or if you're on a boat.

:lol:

True. So if you are a CPL holder that is inclined to drink and have a vehicle, or routinely ride in someone else's vehicle, that doesn't have a trunk you better make sure to bring along a locking gun case everywhere you go :rolleyes:

Bronson

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
True. So if you are a CPL holder that is inclined to drink and have a vehicle, or routinely ride in someone else's vehicle, that doesn't have a trunk you better make sure to bring along a locking gun case everywhere you go :rolleyes:

Bronson

Or, you could do like I did, and just quit drinking outside of your home. ;) Solved a lot of my problems, and saves me a ton of money. :D

Xanaseyr

sorry, non-pistol? you mean like an ammo case?

Sorry, a non-pistol firearm. Transport of loaded rifles, shotguns, and other firearms which are not pistols ist verboten.
Loaded pistols, with a CPL, are generally okay, and any ammunition not in a firearm can be transported however you like. (ammo case, lockbox, tool box, grocery bag, loose in the cupholder, magazines hanging from the rear-view)

SpringerXDacp

Sorry, a non-pistol firearm. Transport of loaded rifles, shotguns, and other firearms which are not pistols ist verboten.
Loaded pistols, with a CPL, are generally okay, and any ammunition not in a firearm can be transported however you like. (ammo case, lockbox, tool box, grocery bag, loose in the cupholder, magazines hanging from the rear-view)

No LOL, actually that (Blue) would be illegal per Michigan Vehicle Code.

Xanaseyr

No LOL, actually that (Blue) would be illegal per Michigan Vehicle Code.

MCL 257.709?
(1) A person shall not operate a motor vehicle with any of the following:
(c) An object that obstructs the vision of the driver of the vehicle, except as authorized by law.
(3) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(d) A vehicle registered in another state, territory, commonwealth of the United States, or another country or province.

You'll want to hang them in such a way that they don't obstruct the driver's vision, but that's just common sense.

Last edited:

SpringerXDacp

Its just one of those laws that gives LEOs 'bait' for a fishing expedition.

Yes this. Hanging an object, of any size, from the rear view mirror is a primary offense in Michigan, just like our seat belt laws.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/rearview-mirror-decorations-banned-in-michigan-6481.html

Still, Michigan’s law was questioned whether or not was too ambiguous.They finally reached to the conclusion that “The law’s language is unqualified: an obstruction of any size for any amount of time falls within it,” as the court wrote in an opinion released April 30.

Michigan State Police supported the law, saying it’s been clear for years that dangling objects (such as graduation tassels, dice, garter belts, jewelry and more), while driving can block a driver's view and are therefore illegal. The offense is a civil infraction with a fine of $100 or more.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Yes this. Hanging an object, of any size, from the rear view mirror is a primary offense in Michigan, just like our seat belt laws.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/rearview-mirror-decorations-banned-in-michigan-6481.html

I always get a chuckle over the wanna be gangstas that do stuff like that, with the purple headlights, tinted windows, loud stereos, etc just begging to be stopped. Seems like if you were a REAL gangsta, you'd want to keep a lower profile....