Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Looking for some advice.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suffolk Virginia
    Posts
    699

    Looking for some advice.

    Hoping this is the right section. I was wondering if i could get opinions on the
    .30-06 as far as availability, accuracy, etc. I was looking into getting a bolt action rifle in the next 90 days.

    I dunno why, I just love the feel of a bolt action in my hands when i get to shoot one. I'm sitting here looking at prices, but I'm not sure what a good price range is.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by mpguy; 11-23-2012 at 01:08 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968

    Cool

    I collect guns and gunsmith and here is my option take it for what it is worth...lol

    My first rifle (age 12) was a 30-30 I got my first deer with it.

    30-30 Good gun but short range and elk and moose are out with a 30-30.

    308 I like my 308 and have deer hunted with it many times, good cal but again a large moose is pushing it.

    7mm I currently hunt with a 7mm as it has good range and great power I can us it for any game with confidence.

    300 mag about the same as the 7mm (father uses the 300).

    30-06 is a middle ground between the 308 and 7mm it has better distance and power than the 308/30-30 but less than the 7mm/300 mag. You could hunt all game with a 30-06 with comfidence.

    The others you can go for is a Marlin 444....lol for those that don't mess around.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suffolk Virginia
    Posts
    699

    Re: Looking for some advice.

    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    I collect guns and gunsmith and here is my option take it for what it is worth...lol

    My first rifle (age 12) was a 30-30 I got my first deer with it.

    30-30 Good gun but short range and elk and moose are out with a 30-30.

    308 I like my 308 and have deer hunted with it many times, good cal but again a large moose is pushing it.

    7mm I currently hunt with a 7mm as it has good range and great power I can us it for any game with confidence.

    300 mag about the same as the 7mm (father uses the 300).

    30-06 is a middle ground between the 308 and 7mm it has better distance and power than the 308/30-30 but less than the 7mm/300 mag. You could hunt all game with a 30-06 with comfidence.

    The others you can go for is a Marlin 444....lol for those that don't mess around.
    Lol thanks. Just want some practical. What is the normal barrel life on the guns you mentioned?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

  4. #4
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by mpguy View Post
    Lol thanks. Just want some practical. What is the normal barrel life on the guns you mentioned?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Depends on how often you shoot it, what brand you buy, and how you take care of it....lol

    I repaced my 7mm barrel with a feather weight barrel, most people think I'm carrying a 308 since it is so light. The problem I have is that I don't want to shoot more than 3-4 shots without letting the barrel cool or it could warp. But if I shot that many times and don't hit my target I need to go fishing.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    The .30-06 is the most versatile cartridge on the planet. Others CAN BE as versatile, but when you combine its availability (in the US) with its capabilities, there is nothing that comes close.

    Even though it would pain me to do so, if I could only own one hunting rifle, it would be a .30-06. I would be further pained in having to decide which .30-06 to keep.

    I've two M1917 service rifles. One has been beautifully customized and would probably be the keeper for hunting.

    It is fairly accurate with the 55-grain Remington Accelerator bullets, which is not very common for most .30-06 rifles. I keep it sighted for 180-grain PSP bullets, though, as this is my primary elk rifle. I prefer 150-grain bullets for deer, though that is currently a different primary rifle, too. There is load data for 110-grain bullets, which are easy to come by, also. 220-grain bullets and loaded ammo is also fairly easy to find.

    While the .30-06 is one of the cartridges that can kill anything on the planet (in a pinch), and it has, it is much better to say that it is well-suited to any game in North America, versatility-wise. I'd purposely choose something bigger for brown bear if I could, but would also shoot one with an '06 if I needed to. I've killed jack rabbits with an '06, as well, and while there is edible meat left with the right shot, it is not the best choice, of course.

    It is the most versatile choice.
    Last edited by MAC702; 11-23-2012 at 02:48 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  6. #6
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    +1 what MAC said,

    It is a good all around rifle. But like anything else it is buyer's preference.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suffolk Virginia
    Posts
    699

    Re: Looking for some advice.

    Appriciate the input. I dropped buy Walmart to compare prices, noticed the ammo self is pretty much bare. Hope y'all got what you wanted lol.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

  8. #8
    Regular Member Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Rocky River, OH, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,086
    Quote Originally Posted by mpguy View Post
    Hoping this is the right section. I was wondering if i could get opinions on the
    .30-06 as far as availability, accuracy, etc. I was looking into getting a bolt action rifle in the next 90 days.

    I dunno why, I just love the feel of a bolt action in my hands when i get to shoot one. I'm sitting here looking at prices, but I'm not sure what a good price range is.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    I have a Savage 112BVSS in .30-06.

    It's the most accurate rifle I've ever shot.

    You're never going to realize the true accuracy of a .30-06 (or just about any other caliber) bolt gun without handloading. I trickle and weigh every charge. For the trouble, I've gotten 12fps standard deviation in my chronographed velocities.

    You don't say what you want to do with it, be it long range target shooting or hunting.

    For 600 yards and beyond, I prefer the .30-06 loaded with IMR or Hodgdon 4350 and the 200gr. Sierra Matchking. There's no comparable factory load. Don't even look.

    What you plan to use the gun for will determine the gun and the load(s).
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Rocky River, OH, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,086
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I've killed jack rabbits with an '06, as well, and while there is edible meat left with the right shot, it is not the best choice, of course.
    For jackrabbits, I'd use Red Dot and a 175gr. bullet. It's a gallery load and shouldn't destroy much meat.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suffolk Virginia
    Posts
    699

    Re: Looking for some advice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    I have a Savage 112BVSS in .30-06.

    It's the most accurate rifle I've ever shot.

    You're never going to realize the true accuracy of a .30-06 (or just about any other caliber) bolt gun without handloading. I trickle and weigh every charge. For the trouble, I've gotten 12fps standard deviation in my chronographed velocities.

    You don't say what you want to do with it, be it long range target shooting or hunting.

    For 600 yards and beyond, I prefer the .30-06 loaded with IMR or Hodgdon 4350 and the 200gr. Sierra Matchking. There's no comparable factory load. Don't even look.

    What you plan to use the gun for will determine the gun and the load(s).
    I just want it to be a reliable catch all gun I can do what ever I want, at i guess medium range and beyond. I know some will say get semi-auto, but again, the feel you get, to me it's just different. Guess it's a old fashion thing.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •