• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Overpriced nc gun shops

dashowdy

It is amazing how many gun shops that have popped up in the wake county area in the last year, I am finding however that there prices seem to be getting more and more ridicoulous by the shop. Why do they feel the need to jack there prices up to retail when the other shops that have been in business a long time are usually within internet prices. Do they think we are dumb or just plain lazy.

RobertPA

Care to share? I know of one in Wendell whose prices are much higher than anyone else; however, there is a new one in North Raleigh that has "ok" prices.

Where did you go?

FYI - Even the gun show had HORRIBLE prices, I mean, horrible. I saw a few guns there that were somewhat decent prices; however, a 1911 RIA was going for $439 when I can get it ALL DAY at a store in Fuquay Varina for $409.

Ammo was an OK price too, better deals on that than guns!

Also, Gander Mountain sucks on prices, expertise and customer service.

chiefjason

I've got an LGS that can get me close enough to the internet price and all the assorted fees that I'll buy from him when I need something. I'd rather help keep his lights on than some guy on the net anyway. The guy on the net won't tune my bow for free if I buy new broad heads and a target. The guy on the net won't sell my holsters either but that's a different story. As long as it's not ridiculous I would rather shop local and pay a bit more.

dashowdy

The shops in question are, arcite arms which is a new one, carolina gun runners, which the guys who owned it worked at eagle 1 who also has ridicoulous prices. I can understand finding a gun locally and spending a few bucks more and putting some cash in the hand of a nc business but when you are charging right at or above retail for a firearm you are robbing people. Talk to any owner of a real gun shop, they dont make there money guns they make it on accesories and ammo.

Carolina gun runners had a benelli m4 for 1450 plus tax, fuquay gun had it for 1150. When i mentioned this to casey and mike I got the how dare you look and the whole we buy straight from the factory so this is the msrp and that fuquay gun was somehow selling an inferior product. Well i went back to fuquay to check and i was correct and the fuquay one was already camo and was brand new. Found another one online for about the same. So either the fuquay guys have some shady dealings or cgr is raping unsuspecting gun owners. And there 7.62x39 was 3.00 bucks more per box than walmart for the same price.
Q
And the newest arcite arms, which advertises, buy from us and support a local business and get a great deal. Well I did some research and could not find a decently priced firearm, some easily 75 to 100 dollars more than any local shop other than eagle one, cgr, and the shop out in rolesville, they were charging 20 bucks for 9mm practice ammo. I think the herd needs to be culled.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

The shops in question are, arcite arms which is a new one, carolina gun runners, which the guys who owned it worked at eagle 1 who also has ridicoulous prices. I can understand finding a gun locally and spending a few bucks more and putting some cash in the hand of a nc business but when you are charging right at or above retail for a firearm you are robbing people. Talk to any owner of a real gun shop, they dont make there money guns they make it on accesories and ammo.

Carolina gun runners had a benelli m4 for 1450 plus tax, fuquay gun had it for 1150. When i mentioned this to casey and mike I got the how dare you look and the whole we buy straight from the factory so this is the msrp and that fuquay gun was somehow selling an inferior product. Well i went back to fuquay to check and i was correct and the fuquay one was already camo and was brand new. Found another one online for about the same. So either the fuquay guys have some shady dealings or cgr is raping unsuspecting gun owners. And there 7.62x39 was 3.00 bucks more per box than walmart for the same price.
Q
And the newest arcite arms, which advertises, buy from us and support a local business and get a great deal. Well I did some research and could not find a decently priced firearm, some easily 75 to 100 dollars more than any local shop other than eagle one, cgr, and the shop out in rolesville, they were charging 20 bucks for 9mm practice ammo. I think the herd needs to be culled.

The above is just ridicules every business has a right to charge as they please for what they can get. The only thing they cannot legally do is price fix with other business. If you don't like the price, walk out the door, or haggle. This is still America, I think...

chiefjason

When I am in a brick and mortar store I always figure internet price +, and the plus is the problem. It is easily $50 to get a gun off the net to a store where you can do the FFL transfer. FFL transfer is $25 or more, usually more. Shipping is in the $20 range for something like Fed Ex. So if you are lucky you get internet price + $45. If the brick and mortar store comes in around $50-$100 more than net, it's not that bad really. You get to handle it, potentially ask questions of someone that nows what they are talking about (or at least you hope so), and you get to walk out the door with it.

So, $100 or less and it's not that bad in reality. It's just that most folks don't consider the extra cost or ordering it online for some reason. You start getting over $100 or multiple hundreds and it's probably best to look elsewhere.

Also take into account the clientele. If I had a shop in Fuquay, Smitthfield, or Zebulon I might have one price point. If I had a shop in Wake Forest, Brier Creek, or Cary it might be more simply because of the difference in clients. Part of the reason I get good deals at my LGS, usually at net or +$50-75, is because folks around here just can't afford a ridiculous mark up.

dashowdy

I do not shop at these places but unfortunately now and again between facebook, armslist, and word of mouth I here about how somebody thinks they got a great deal at a shop then they find out later they overpayed by 15-20 % then they meet me I give them my take on the good shops and they start shopping in the right places. I would have no problem with these shops if they did not use scare tactics and false advertising to sell there overpriced firearms and accesories.

These too are the shops where most of the owners are really not huge firearms enthusiasts, they may own a few but it is more of retail business than a passion and duty too our countries greatest right. For instance a shop that lannie godwin had dropped off some GRNC pamphlets and open carry cards to a shop, I was there just browsing after a meetup. Within a week the pamphlets and OC cards had been removed and ccw pamphlets put up instead which is why I will not enter said shop again. These shops do not believe nor care about the second amendment, there only goal is to gain as much money as possible with there scare tactics(i.e. UN treaty) and false advertising. This is my problem with them as a business not with capitalism.

WalkingWolf

I do not shop at these places but unfortunately now and again between facebook, armslist, and word of mouth I here about how somebody thinks they got a great deal at a shop then they find out later they overpayed by 15-20 % then they meet me I give them my take on the good shops and they start shopping in the right places. I would have no problem with these shops if they did not use scare tactics and false advertising to sell there overpriced firearms and accesories.

These too are the shops where most of the owners are really not huge firearms enthusiasts, they may own a few but it is more of retail business than a passion and duty too our countries greatest right. For instance a shop that lannie godwin had dropped off some GRNC pamphlets and open carry cards to a shop, I was there just browsing after a meetup. Within a week the pamphlets and OC cards had been removed and ccw pamphlets put up instead which is why I will not enter said shop again. These shops do not believe nor care about the second amendment, there only goal is to gain as much money as possible with there scare tactics(i.e. UN treaty) and false advertising. This is my problem with them as a business not with capitalism.

Please explain these scare tactics? And false advertising?

ncwabbit

snip... For instance a shop that lannie godwin had dropped off some GRNC pamphlets and open carry cards to a shop, I was there just browsing after a meetup. Within a week the pamphlets and OC cards had been removed and ccw pamphlets put up instead which is why I will not enter said shop again.

HUH? am i confused as i think i missed something...who cares if the bloody GRNC & OC BS&P are missing?

wabbit

ps go read the Gold Carry thread ( http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?108024-Gold-Carry-State) where GRNC fell on their sword after stating and only believing CC citizens are the only sane folk in NC!!

Last edited:

dashowdy

HUH? am i confused as i think i missed something...who cares if the bloody GRNC & OC BS&P are missing?

wabbit

ps go read the Gold Carry thread ( http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?108024-Gold-Carry-State) where GRNC fell on their sword after stating and only believing CC citizens are the only sane folk in NC!!

I understand Wabbit and have read through and followed the thread since a couple of days after it started, and yes I could care less about the GRNC pamphlets but the OC education cards with OC.org on them pissed me off. Those cards are pivotal to teaching people that it is very much legal here and an excercise of your god given right, not a bunch of wierdos walking around with guns on there hips like some of these shops portray us when we are not around, and they do because I CC also and catch a lot of new gun owners asking about OC, the usual gun shop response in alot of places is, you should not do it and pay the 125 dollars for there concealed carry class because that way you can protect yourself. That is what pissed me off more than anything was the OC cards getting ditched.

As far as GRNC is concerned I wish Mr. Valone well in his continued fight for government approved carry, I will not give him or his organization my money anymore just like these overpriced gun shops. And as forrest gump said " thats all I got to say about that."

The UN treaty comes up a lot as well as obama in these shops as a scare tactic to sell weapons, panic buying. While shops like say sovereign guns are not happy about his re-election,they still have the same prices and the same attitude, Which is they can only take our gun rights away if we let them and they keep there prices low so that more people can access that god given right without breaking the bank.

WalkingWolf

He did. He mentioned UN treaty so my guess is the employs serve up the "Obama is gonna take your guns" to drive up sales.

Well I hardly call that scare tactics. It may be that Obama is going to take people's guns, I have little doubt he certainly would like to. I consider scare tactics as "buy this gun or I am going to beat you up". If a person does not have enough sense to research and form their own opinions and depend on the salesman/woman it is their fault. A business is in the business of making money, and it would be stupid for them to tell potential customers that they should not buy a gun because the "Chosen One" is such a nice guy.

dashowdy

Well I hardly call that scare tactics. It may be that Obama is going to take people's guns, I have little doubt he certainly would like to. I consider scare tactics as "buy this gun or I am going to beat you up". If a person does not have enough sense to research and form their own opinions and depend on the salesman/woman it is their fault. A business is in the business of making money, and it would be stupid for them to tell potential customers that they should not buy a gun because the "Chosen One" is such a nice guy.

Well fortunately this is not the world according to you, and I am sure alot of these folks on here consider that scare tactics. I understand you somehow think you are fighting the good fight and defending capitalism, but you are not. You are defending vultures who care nothing about the 2nd amenment and are just trying to make money of the popular trend right now by overcharging for guns and ammo. The real shops that keep the oc cards and always are glad to see me and other oc'ers in there shop and are the ones that will be here for a long time to come, those are the ones that do not care what or how you carry they just care that you are carrying thats all, not screwing uneducated and paranoid folks out of money.

This is my last post on the subject, I have said my piece.

WalkingWolf

Well fortunately this is not the world according to you, and I am sure alot of these folks on here consider that scare tactics. I understand you somehow think you are fighting the good fight and defending capitalism, but you are not. You are defending vultures who care nothing about the 2nd amenment and are just trying to make money of the popular trend right now by overcharging for guns and ammo. The real shops that keep the oc cards and always are glad to see me and other oc'ers in there shop and are the ones that will be here for a long time to come, those are the ones that do not care what or how you carry they just care that you are carrying thats all, not screwing uneducated and paranoid folks out of money.

This is my last post on the subject, I have said my piece.

I really don't care what other folks think, I worry about myself, and expect others to do the same. Those so called vultures do not have to care about the second amendment, it is not required to run a business. While I do not always agree with how some run their business I realize it IS THEIR BUSINESS. Here is a solution to the so called problem, open your own business and run it the way you want.

You see we still have a thing in this country called FREEDOM! And that freedom is not contingent upon the needs of the many, thank God, though progressives would like it that way. I will even defend a person's right to a opinion I do not particularly like. Being the backside of a democrat mascot does not really help the image of OCing.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
It is amazing how many gun shops that have popped up in the wake county area in the last year, I am finding however that there prices seem to be getting more and more ridicoulous by the shop. Why do they feel the need to jack there prices up to retail when the other shops that have been in business a long time are usually within internet prices. Do they think we are dumb or just plain lazy.

They're under no obligation to value their time, property, and sweat equity to anyone else's expectations. The guns offered for sale are their private property. If a potential buyer feels the cost suits him, a transaction occurs. How the buyer values his money and how the seller values his property are between them.

CCinMaine

I really don't care what other folks think, I worry about myself, and expect others to do the same. Those so called vultures do not have to care about the second amendment, it is not required to run a business. While I do not always agree with how some run their business I realize it IS THEIR BUSINESS. Here is a solution to the so called problem, open your own business and run it the way you want.

You see we still have a thing in this country called FREEDOM! And that freedom is not contingent upon the needs of the many, thank God, though progressives would like it that way. I will even defend a person's right to a opinion I do not particularly like. Being the backside of a democrat mascot does not really help the image of OCing.

Couldn't agree more. You don't like the price then haggle or even try to barter. If they refuse to budge say thank you, smile, and walk out. If his prices are really too high then you won't be the only one walking out and he will have to drop his prices or close up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Much of the pricing differential has to do with dealers' volume of orders. When a new shop opened in High Point a couple years ago I noticed that their pricing was noticeably higher than a few stores that have been around for much longer. They were unable to price match. A store like The Gun Rack in Kernersville does a lot in volume with manufacturer X, so they get better pricing than the upstart business, and they can sell a $400-$500 handgun for $50-60 less than the upstart business without hurting their gross margin. This mainly applies to the local gun stores as opposed to...

The exception to this rule is the big box stores like Gander Mtn. that rape everyone on pricing because ignorant people don't shop around & just whip out their Visa. No doubt that their purchasing volume enables them to get the best pricing available, yet they do not even make an attempt at competitive pricing (Glock handguns for $649 new & $525-$549 used!).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: