Thread: CPL Class...do I need a concealable holster?

CPL Class...do I need a concealable holster?

I have my CPL class tomorrow at 830. I have a question for anyone who knows, and it may be a REALLY dumb question.

Do I need a concealable holster for the class?

I have a few holster, but my main one is my iTac Lowride, which keeps my gun secure and holstered about 6-7 inches below my belt, making OC extremely easy no matter what I'm wearing, even my coats.

I'm not exactly sure if they make you draw from conceal or if theyll mind a lowride holster, figure I'd ask you guys instead of bringing multiple ones. I'd rather do my training in my iTac but if I have to, I'll use my high galco holster.
    Molon Labe

[+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

Uhm even coming from you Mike, no question is dumb

Almost all ranges DO NOT allow you to draw & fire from a holster. (Nothing like never being able to practice real world scenario's ). So the short answer is it's a 98% chance you will not be using a holster. At my gun club (Scottsdale Gun Club [full auto avail] ) You may draw from concealment or a OC holster but you must first receive training from a "Range Master"Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lsaber.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	9590 (they wear jedi capes) aka take a class & get cert. to do so.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 11-23-2012 at 08:38 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Concealment holster would be a no go, since you will not be at home, and thus can't conceal. And aside from that, it is very unlikely that holster work will be conducted in a class, especially if it isn't just a couple people who are already skilled, and even then, probably not. (CPL classes don't really teach much in the range portion)

I am envious of your being able to go to the Scottsdale Gun Club, FreeInAZ. Aside from having my favorite indoor stationary range, they have the only gun shop I'd ever seen that had for sale every mass production weapon I've ever owned. To say they put Michigan gun shops to shame is a masterpiece of understatement.
    Last edited by Michigander; 11-23-2012 at 08:43 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

While I was at Action Impact (The place I refuse to go to get my CPL because the guy is an idiot) he was teaching a CPL class and had them all draw from their holsters and fire two shots into a close range target.

So I figured my question was valid.

Apparently this guy is a bigger idiot than I thought.

I did just call the range I'm going to (Which I probably should have done first) and they told me we will not be drawing so my lowride is fine.

P.s FreeInAZ I'm coming to visit and you're taking me to the gun club. K thanksss.
    Molon Labe

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Concealment holster would be a no go, since you will not be at home, and thus can't conceal. And aside from that, it is very unlikely that holster work will be conducted in a class, especially if it isn't just a couple people who are already skilled, and even then, probably not. (CPL classes don't really teach much in the range portion)

I am envious of your being able to go to the Scottsdale Gun Club, FreeInAZ. Aside from having my favorite indoor stationary range, they have the only gun shop I'd ever seen that had for sale every mass production weapon I've ever owned. To say they put Michigan gun shops to shame is a masterpiece of understatement.
    Sorry Michigander,

I did not mean to rub your face in the mediocrity of MI gun ranges/shops. My bad

PS - I'm a member, so I get free passes for friends
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 11-23-2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: ETA
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post

PS - I'm a member, so I get free passes for friends
    And this is why my next roadtrip/vacation will be to Arizona!
    Molon Labe

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    And this is why my next roadtrip/vacation will be to Arizona!
    To be warned Mike, it is one hell of a long drive.

Oh come on...it's only 33 hours!

Wait...yeah, maybe I'll fly. I have a bunch of friends near Globe so I'll stay for a while. haha.
    Molon Labe

I drove to Southern Texas (Brownsville) by myself in 2 days.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    That's only a 27 hour drive. Meaning you got approx 21 hours of sleep/rest/food on the way, which is around normal time for a drive of that length.

Still farther than I'd ever like to drive.
    Molon Labe

That's only a 27 hour drive. Meaning you got approx 21 hours of sleep/rest/food on the way, which is around normal time for a drive of that length.

Still farther than I'd ever like to drive.
    Drove 3A-10P

8AM-8P
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Drove 3A-10P

8AM-8P
    You sir are a machine.

And how much coffee did you drink during your drive?
    Molon Labe

You sir are a machine.

And how much coffee did you drink during your drive?
    I don't drink coffee. Most caffeinated drink I ever drink is coke.

I drove my Solstice, which is exhilarating enough.

I drove from Phoenix to Royal Oak in 54 hours, taking the southern route to minimize the likelihood of snow. This means about a 41 hour drive, and I did the speed limit and less the whole way.

I took short nap breaks when I started hallucinating.
    Last edited by Michigander; 11-23-2012 at 10:32 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Banned

Almost all ranges DO NOT allow you to draw & fire from a holster. (Nothing like never :
    Maybe simunition if you wish to practice in your backyard ....

it may be a REALLY dumb question.
    As I tell my students "there are no dumb questions...only dumb people that ask questions."

my lowride is fine.
    I didn't need a holster of any kind for my CPL class and the shooting portion of mine went waaay above and beyond what is required by law.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar

Almost all ranges DO NOT allow you to draw & fire from a holster. (Nothing like never being able to practice real world scenario's ). So the short answer is it's a 98% chance you will not be using a holster. At my gun club (Scottsdale Gun Club [full auto avail] ) You may draw from concealment or a OC holster but you must first receive training from a "Range Master"Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lsaber.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	9590 (they wear jedi capes) aka take a class & get cert. to do so.
    maybe there should be a mikethegreek questions sticky. your post count shouldn't equal your started threads count... just sayin'
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

I have my CPL class tomorrow at 830. I have a question for anyone who knows, and it may be a REALLY dumb question.

Do I need a concealable holster for the class?

I have a few holster, but my main one is my iTac Lowride, which keeps my gun secure and holstered about 6-7 inches below my belt, making OC extremely easy no matter what I'm wearing, even my coats.

I'm not exactly sure if they make you draw from conceal or if theyll mind a lowride holster, figure I'd ask you guys instead of bringing multiple ones. I'd rather do my training in my iTac but if I have to, I'll use my high galco holster.
    if you conceal at a range you will be committing a felony

i've made the trip by car 3 times

I did just call the range I'm going to (Which I probably should have done first)
    YES! YOU SHOULD HAVE CALLED THE RANGE! Sorry dude, but this forum is not your personal question/answer message board. Will the mods please edit this stuff out. I'd like to get back to OC discussion and not have to sift through 10 MikeTheGreek threads before I find something useful to read and contribute to.
    Last edited by scot623; 11-24-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    YES! YOU SHOULD HAVE CALLED THE RANGE! Sorry dude, but this forum is not your personal question/answer message board. Will the mods please edit this stuff out. I'd like to get back to OC discussion and not have to sift through 10 MikeTheGreek threads before I find something useful to read and contribute to.
    however you could just skip threads started by MikeTheGreek
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    however you could just skip threads started by MikeTheGreek
    That is a valid suggestion. Is there a way to automatically skip the first page of threads?

Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    That is a valid suggestion. Is there a way to automatically skip the first page of threads?
    If we get any more stickies yes.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Asked, answered, closed.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.