• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL Class...do I need a concealable holster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeTheGreek

I have my CPL class tomorrow at 830. I have a question for anyone who knows, and it may be a REALLY dumb question.

Do I need a concealable holster for the class?

I have a few holster, but my main one is my iTac Lowride, which keeps my gun secure and holstered about 6-7 inches below my belt, making OC extremely easy no matter what I'm wearing, even my coats.

I'm not exactly sure if they make you draw from conceal or if theyll mind a lowride holster, figure I'd ask you guys instead of bringing multiple ones. I'd rather do my training in my iTac but if I have to, I'll use my high galco holster.

FreeInAZ

Uhm even coming from you Mike, no question is dumb:p

Almost all ranges DO NOT allow you to draw & fire from a holster. (Nothing like never being able to practice real world scenario's ). So the short answer is it's a 98% chance you will not be using a holster. At my gun club (Scottsdale Gun Club [full auto avail] ;) ) You may draw from concealment or a OC holster but you must first receive training from a "Range Master"Lsaber.jpg (they wear jedi capes) aka take a class & get cert. to do so. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Michigander

Concealment holster would be a no go, since you will not be at home, and thus can't conceal. And aside from that, it is very unlikely that holster work will be conducted in a class, especially if it isn't just a couple people who are already skilled, and even then, probably not. (CPL classes don't really teach much in the range portion)

I am envious of your being able to go to the Scottsdale Gun Club, FreeInAZ. Aside from having my favorite indoor stationary range, they have the only gun shop I'd ever seen that had for sale every mass production weapon I've ever owned. To say they put Michigan gun shops to shame is a masterpiece of understatement.

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

While I was at Action Impact (The place I refuse to go to get my CPL because the guy is an idiot) he was teaching a CPL class and had them all draw from their holsters and fire two shots into a close range target.

So I figured my question was valid.

Apparently this guy is a bigger idiot than I thought.

I did just call the range I'm going to (Which I probably should have done first) and they told me we will not be drawing so my lowride is fine.

P.s FreeInAZ I'm coming to visit and you're taking me to the gun club. K thanksss. :banana:

FreeInAZ

Concealment holster would be a no go, since you will not be at home, and thus can't conceal. And aside from that, it is very unlikely that holster work will be conducted in a class, especially if it isn't just a couple people who are already skilled, and even then, probably not. (CPL classes don't really teach much in the range portion)

I am envious of your being able to go to the Scottsdale Gun Club, FreeInAZ. Aside from having my favorite indoor stationary range, they have the only gun shop I'd ever seen that had for sale every mass production weapon I've ever owned. To say they put Michigan gun shops to shame is a masterpiece of understatement.

Sorry Michigander,

I did not mean to rub your face in the mediocrity of MI gun ranges/shops. My bad:cry:

PS - I'm a member, so I get free passes for friends ;)

Last edited:

Michigander

I drove to Southern Texas (Brownsville) by myself in 2 days.

I drove from Phoenix to Royal Oak in 54 hours, taking the southern route to minimize the likelihood of snow. This means about a 41 hour drive, and I did the speed limit and less the whole way.

I took short nap breaks when I started hallucinating. :eek:

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
Uhm even coming from you Mike, no question is dumb:p

Almost all ranges DO NOT allow you to draw & fire from a holster. (Nothing like never being able to practice real world scenario's ). So the short answer is it's a 98% chance you will not be using a holster. At my gun club (Scottsdale Gun Club [full auto avail] ;) ) You may draw from concealment or a OC holster but you must first receive training from a "Range Master"View attachment 9590 (they wear jedi capes) aka take a class & get cert. to do so. :rolleyes:
maybe there should be a mikethegreek questions sticky. your post count shouldn't equal your started threads count... just sayin'

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
I have my CPL class tomorrow at 830. I have a question for anyone who knows, and it may be a REALLY dumb question.

Do I need a concealable holster for the class?

I have a few holster, but my main one is my iTac Lowride, which keeps my gun secure and holstered about 6-7 inches below my belt, making OC extremely easy no matter what I'm wearing, even my coats.

I'm not exactly sure if they make you draw from conceal or if theyll mind a lowride holster, figure I'd ask you guys instead of bringing multiple ones. I'd rather do my training in my iTac but if I have to, I'll use my high galco holster.
if you conceal at a range you will be committing a felony

scot623

I did just call the range I'm going to (Which I probably should have done first)

YES! YOU SHOULD HAVE CALLED THE RANGE! Sorry dude, but this forum is not your personal question/answer message board. Will the mods please edit this stuff out. I'd like to get back to OC discussion and not have to sift through 10 MikeTheGreek threads before I find something useful to read and contribute to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.