Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ed's "Notice to all law enforcement" cards

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Ed's "Notice to all law enforcement" cards

As much as I like picking on ED, I have to get serious and give him credit once in a while

Yesterday I saw a card he had printed with Dan Hawes (I will not make a statement) letter.

It looked like double thick Card stock and is the perfect size to stick in a notebook or use as a book mark.

I don't know what he's charging or anything else about them. You'll have to ask Ed about that.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    As much as I like picking on ED, I have to get serious and give him credit once in a while

Yesterday I saw a card he had printed with Dan Hawes (I will not make a statement) letter.

It looked like double thick Card stock and is the perfect size to stick in a notebook or use as a book mark.

I don't know what he's charging or anything else about them. You'll have to ask Ed about that.
    I am not charging.. I gave a stack to Dan.. and I have a small stack... Heck.. They could even be a POST CARD.. You only need the one side. :-)

Let me figure it out, and thanks.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Last edited by ed; 11-27-2012 at 04:36 PM.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

A question

Ed,
    I am assuming that the answer to my question is yes since you posted this but can we can reproduce these?

Quote Originally Posted by half_life1052 View Post
    ed,
    i am assuming that the answer to my question is yes since you posted this but can we can reproduce these?
    affirmative.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

That looks pretty good.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skew12 View Post
    That looks pretty good.
    I like it, too.

OCers should not rely on it too much, or should rather understand that some cops will ignore the proffered card. That is to say they will refuse to read it.

If they do read it, though. It should do the trick at getting the points across. I cannot think of any important points that are omitted, but that is no surprise considering who the consultant is.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I like it, too.

OCers should not rely on it too much, or should rather understand that some cops will ignore the proffered card. That is to say they will refuse to read it.

If they do read it, though. It should do the trick at getting the points across. I cannot think of any important points that are omitted, but that is no surprise considering who the consultant is.
    If the cop won't read it Citizen, read it to him.
    Being polite and or cooperative (AKA a good Citizen, no pun intended) gets more people in trouble than Budweiser.

Founder's Club Member
    If the cop won't read it Citizen, read it to him.
    Being polite and or cooperative (AKA a good Citizen, no pun intended) gets more people in trouble than Budweiser.
    Oh, jeez! Of course! I'm not being real bright, am I? (don't answer that!)

Great idea.

And, to think I spent all that time and energy sorting out and memorizing what to say. I could just write it down and read it!
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

And I can hear it now . . .

" . . . Officer, do you understand my rights as I have read them to you?"

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

First we had Merandized - Should we call this Hawesized or Hawesified? - With apologies to Dan Hawes.

Or perhaps Edified, which seems more appriate by definition.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    A lot of big words there .. know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Really?

All I read was "Obey the law." Biggest word there is four letters, and they do not even spell a "naughty" word.

Oh, you mean all the legalese that some [very good, and competent as well] attorney threw out there to justify several years of law school? Yeah, members of the guild are often forced to wear silly clothes and act in silly ways just to prove they are members of the guild. Besides, most of the prols are impressed by the big words, as if they have more power than the plain ones.

As for the cards - Ed deserves more than a mere "Attaboy" for making them available.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

I just can't tell you how much I like that one!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Ah, you're thinking that the card requires the cop to actually understand and comply with the text. I can see you're not a lawyer. The real purpose of the card is to set them up for favorable evidentiary and civl court rulings when (notice I didn't say, "if"?) they screw up. The card puts them on notice, even if they ignore it. The way to win in court is to have set the other side up for what you want to happen, waaaay before you ever think about a trial, and that's true whether you're in civil or criminal court.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

WHere do I enter my attorney's name

The card reads: "I am represented by the attorney named below". However, there is no designated place on the card to name my attorney. Should I write the name on the back, in the margin, ...?
    Must the attorney named be on retainer in order for me to make that statement? Can I write in Dan's name? I have his number on speed dial, but we have never met. I live in Norfolk.

Quote Originally Posted by USNA69 View Post
    The card reads: "I am represented by the attorney named below". However, there is no designated place on the card to name my attorney. Should I write the name on the back, in the margin, ...?
    Must the attorney named be on retainer in order for me to make that statement? Can I write in Dan's name? I have his number on speed dial, but we have never met. I live in Norfolk.
    The PDF version doesn't have the bottom clipped off.

But you can write in my name, if you like. I practice throughout Virginia, but it gets more expensive the more I have to travel, and Norfolk's about four hours away from me. Bob Herron, who is also a member of OCDO, is in Virginia Beach and may be more readily available in that region.
    Last edited by user; 11-27-2012 at 04:32 PM.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    The PDF version doesn't have the bottom clipped off.
    Neither does the .jpg version on my screen/browser
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Founder's Club Member
    Between Mirandizing the officer, and the "big words" comment, I can't breathe--I'm laughing so hard!!! I had to type this reaching up from the floor because I fell out of my chair!

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    Neither does the .jpg version on my screen/browser
    The one I'm using does and I'll give you 3 guesses whose name is filled in. I don't care how much it costs, its worth it. A lifeboat with a leak is always cheaper.

To Law Enforcement Officers:

I have been instructed by my attorney not to discuss the facts of any case with anyone other than my attorney unless and until I am given the opportunity to consult with and be advised by my attorney, and to have my attorney present for any statement to be given or interrogation to be conducted: I shall not answer any questions other than for identification. This applies regardless of the nature or duration of the detention or arrest. I do not wish to evade or interfere with any legitimate investigation, nor does my refusal to answer represent any disrespect for you or your office.

My attorney has also instructed me never to consent to a warrantless search of my person or property, and has instructed me to tell you that there will be absolutely no waiver of the right to see and be served with a warrant in proper form prior to any such search.

My attorney has warned me, and I understand that, you may determine that this is a situation in which you feel you need to make an arrest; I understand that you may make such an arrest regardless of anything I may tell you. I have further been instructed to submit to your authority fully in the event you do elect to make an arrest. My submission, however, is for the purpose of avoiding unnecessary confrontation, and is neither a waiver of, or done with prejudice to, my rights under applicable civil and criminal laws.

I am represented by the attorney named below, and that am the client of this attorney for all issues related to the detention, search and seizure of me and my property. I ask that you contact my attorney promptly upon taking me into custody, before any search of my property, and before making any attempt to question me about the facts of any case. Unless you feel you have probable cause to place me into custody at this time, I respectfully request that you advise me that I am free to leave right now.

My name is: __________________________________________________ ____

I reside at: __________________________________________________ ______

My attorney’s name is: ______________________________________________

My Attorney’s telephone number is: __________________________
    Last edited by peter nap; 11-27-2012 at 05:16 PM.

I just can't tell you how much I like that one!!!!!!
    Late getting back to this: Peter, you are most welcome. The thought gave me so much enjoyment I had to share.

This is fantastic, going to make sure that I keep on in my cars, in my wallet, and anywhere else I think I may need one!

Thanks much for making it available!

Now (sorta kinda kidding)....is there anything to use to inform them that I am a mute and when I'm required to comply with their stop and ID law in VA BH that I intend to give them that information in SIGN LANGUAGE (seems to be the only loop hole I can think of).

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    First we had Merandized - Should we call this Hawesized or Hawesified? - With apologies to Dan Hawes.

Or perhaps Edified, which seems more appriate by definition.
    Edified by Hawes?
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

But the card discloses name and address, information that should not be given to officer unless actually arrested, or officer has clear RAS.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    But the card discloses name and address, information that should not be given to officer unless actually arrested, or officer has clear RAS.
    It doesn't have to be filled in - mine are blank on those two lines.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast