• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ed's "Notice to all law enforcement" cards

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As much as I like picking on ED, I have to get serious and give him credit once in a while

Yesterday I saw a card he had printed with Dan Hawes (I will not make a statement) letter.

It looked like double thick Card stock and is the perfect size to stick in a notebook or use as a book mark.

I don't know what he's charging or anything else about them. You'll have to ask Ed about that.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
As much as I like picking on ED, I have to get serious and give him credit once in a while

Yesterday I saw a card he had printed with Dan Hawes (I will not make a statement) letter.

It looked like double thick Card stock and is the perfect size to stick in a notebook or use as a book mark.

I don't know what he's charging or anything else about them. You'll have to ask Ed about that.
I am not charging.. I gave a stack to Dan.. and I have a small stack... Heck.. They could even be a POST CARD.. You only need the one side. :)

Let me figure it out, and thanks.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
hawescard.jpg

High res IMAGE: http://edsfiles.us/pics/hawescard.jpg
PDF: http://edsfiles.us/pics/hawescard.pdf

Last edited:

half_life1052

A question

Ed,
I am assuming that the answer to my question is yes since you posted this but can we can reproduce these?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
That looks pretty good.

I like it, too.

OCers should not rely on it too much, or should rather understand that some cops will ignore the proffered card. That is to say they will refuse to read it.

If they do read it, though. It should do the trick at getting the points across. I cannot think of any important points that are omitted, but that is no surprise considering who the consultant is.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I like it, too.

OCers should not rely on it too much, or should rather understand that some cops will ignore the proffered card. That is to say they will refuse to read it.

If they do read it, though. It should do the trick at getting the points across. I cannot think of any important points that are omitted, but that is no surprise considering who the consultant is.

If the cop won't read it Citizen, read it to him.
Being polite and or cooperative (AKA a good Citizen, no pun intended) gets more people in trouble than Budweiser.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
If the cop won't read it Citizen, read it to him.
Being polite and or cooperative (AKA a good Citizen, no pun intended) gets more people in trouble than Budweiser.

Oh, jeez! Of course! I'm not being real bright, am I? (don't answer that!)

Great idea.

And, to think I spent all that time and energy sorting out and memorizing what to say. I could just write it down and read it!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
" . . . Officer, do you understand my rights as I have read them to you?"

:D

First we had Merandized - Should we call this Hawesized or Hawesified? - With apologies to Dan Hawes.

Or perhaps Edified, which seems more appriate by definition.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
A lot of big words there .. know what I mean?

Really?

All I read was "Obey the law." Biggest word there is four letters, and they do not even spell a "naughty" word.

Oh, you mean all the legalese that some [very good, and competent as well] attorney threw out there to justify several years of law school? Yeah, members of the guild are often forced to wear silly clothes and act in silly ways just to prove they are members of the guild. Besides, most of the prols are impressed by the big words, as if they have more power than the plain ones.

As for the cards - Ed deserves more than a mere "Attaboy" for making them available.

stay safe.

user

Accomplished Advocate
A lot of big words there .. know what I mean?

Ah, you're thinking that the card requires the cop to actually understand and comply with the text. I can see you're not a lawyer. The real purpose of the card is to set them up for favorable evidentiary and civl court rulings when (notice I didn't say, "if"?) they screw up. The card puts them on notice, even if they ignore it. The way to win in court is to have set the other side up for what you want to happen, waaaay before you ever think about a trial, and that's true whether you're in civil or criminal court.

USNA69

WHere do I enter my attorney's name

The card reads: "I am represented by the attorney named below". However, there is no designated place on the card to name my attorney. Should I write the name on the back, in the margin, ...?
Must the attorney named be on retainer in order for me to make that statement? Can I write in Dan's name? I have his number on speed dial, but we have never met. I live in Norfolk.

user

Accomplished Advocate
The card reads: "I am represented by the attorney named below". However, there is no designated place on the card to name my attorney. Should I write the name on the back, in the margin, ...?
Must the attorney named be on retainer in order for me to make that statement? Can I write in Dan's name? I have his number on speed dial, but we have never met. I live in Norfolk.

The PDF version doesn't have the bottom clipped off.

But you can write in my name, if you like. I practice throughout Virginia, but it gets more expensive the more I have to travel, and Norfolk's about four hours away from me. Bob Herron, who is also a member of OCDO, is in Virginia Beach and may be more readily available in that region.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Between Mirandizing the officer, and the "big words" comment, I can't breathe--I'm laughing so hard!!! I had to type this reaching up from the floor because I fell out of my chair!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Neither does the .jpg version on my screen/browser

The one I'm using does and I'll give you 3 guesses whose name is filled in. I don't care how much it costs, its worth it. A lifeboat with a leak is always cheaper.

To Law Enforcement Officers:

I have been instructed by my attorney not to discuss the facts of any case with anyone other than my attorney unless and until I am given the opportunity to consult with and be advised by my attorney, and to have my attorney present for any statement to be given or interrogation to be conducted: I shall not answer any questions other than for identification. This applies regardless of the nature or duration of the detention or arrest. I do not wish to evade or interfere with any legitimate investigation, nor does my refusal to answer represent any disrespect for you or your office.

My attorney has also instructed me never to consent to a warrantless search of my person or property, and has instructed me to tell you that there will be absolutely no waiver of the right to see and be served with a warrant in proper form prior to any such search.

My attorney has warned me, and I understand that, you may determine that this is a situation in which you feel you need to make an arrest; I understand that you may make such an arrest regardless of anything I may tell you. I have further been instructed to submit to your authority fully in the event you do elect to make an arrest. My submission, however, is for the purpose of avoiding unnecessary confrontation, and is neither a waiver of, or done with prejudice to, my rights under applicable civil and criminal laws.

I am represented by the attorney named below, and that am the client of this attorney for all issues related to the detention, search and seizure of me and my property. I ask that you contact my attorney promptly upon taking me into custody, before any search of my property, and before making any attempt to question me about the facts of any case. Unless you feel you have probable cause to place me into custody at this time, I respectfully request that you advise me that I am free to leave right now.

My name is: __________________________________________________ ____

I reside at: __________________________________________________ ______

My attorney’s name is: ______________________________________________

My Attorney’s telephone number is: __________________________

Last edited: