• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

cleaning pistol in storage and in bank with pistol

TheRock

That doesn't say you can't put cash in a safety deposit box,it says its illegal to conceal cash to avoid taxes. Conceal doesn't mean hide in a box, it means conceal it from the IRS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

KBCraig

Grim_Night

The bank doesn't know what you have in your box, isn't supposed to know (by design), and can't know unless they take extraordinary measures to break into the box.

If your plutonium sets off the DHS radiation alarms, or the body parts you collected start to leak into other boxes, they might have a reason to break in. For a gun? No way.

Don't ask, don't tell.

As for the gun(s), remove any magazines, lock open the action, hose everything down liberally with Birchwood-Casey "Sheath" preservative, then wrap it in VCI paper. It will be good for at least a couple of years. (In reality, it will be good for decades like that, but you will want to check on it and give it a fresh treatment at least every 2-3 years. Plus, you should shoot it when you're home; it's good karma. :) )

DON'T shoot it at home unless you're using it in self defense! lol that would be BAD karma xD

Difdi

Can we use the correct terms here? It's "safe-deposit box". That's it. No such thing as a safety deposit box.

I suddenly find myself envisioning opening a safe deposit box to find hundreds of gun safeties in little baggies... :lol:

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

While there are options, KOA bans firearms from all their "Kampgrounds".

I don't believe Good Sam does. Searching their website for "firearm" turns up a long list of discussions on their forums:
http://www.goodsamclub.com/siteSear...96814:g-hall1ppfk&cof=FORID:11;NB:1&q=firearm

Funny I have OCed at two KOAs in Idaho without comment. I talked to the owner of one KOA while OC and I have permission to camp there without water or sewer when they are closed for the winter all I do is call his cell let him know we are there and a small charge appears on my next CC statement. I do not think he is worried about my OC much.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
While there are options, KOA bans firearms from all their "Kampgrounds".

I don't believe Good Sam does. Searching their website for "firearm" turns up a long list of discussions on their forums:
http://www.goodsamclub.com/siteSear...96814:g-hall1ppfk&cof=FORID:11;NB:1&q=firearm

I see nothing about KOA banning firearms in their campgrounds on their website http://koa.com/

I have carried OC at a KOA campground this past summer and had no incident to the contrary.

Freedom1Man

That doesn't say you can't put cash in a safety deposit box,it says its illegal to conceal cash to avoid taxes. Conceal doesn't mean hide in a box, it means conceal it from the IRS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Please cite where I am required to disclose my cash in hand to the IRS in the first place.

If there is no law requiring disclosure then the law you mention is moot.

The only payments, I can find, that are required to be reported to the IRS are taxable payments made to non-resident aliens, foreign corporations, and foreign tax exempt corporations.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Please cite where I am required to disclose my cash in hand to the IRS in the first place.

If there is no law requiring disclosure then the law you mention is moot.

The only payments, I can find, that are required to be reported to the IRS are taxable payments made to non-resident aliens, foreign corporations, and foreign tax exempt corporations.

You don't seem to miss many opportunities to go off topic do you?

rapgood

Vacuum sealers can suck the lubricant out of the gun. Were it me, I'd use a vacuum sealable bag, use the vacuum to remove the normal air, then immediately replace it with dry nitrogen gas. Short of a hermetically sealed hard case, that's about as secure as you can make it against corrosion.

Nitrogen gas is readily available. Purchase inexpensive disposable hand warmers, tear the package slightly open to activate the heating process and drop it in a ziplock with the gun. Hold the ziplock open-side-up for about 1 minute, then zip it shut. The nitrogen released by the heating process forces the oxygen up and out. No need to vacuum it. It also works great for long-term preservation of rice, wheat, and other dry goods that are susceptible to going "stale" from exposure to oxygen (20+ years!).

rapgood

"inexpensive disposable hand warmers" work by oxidation of iron. No nitrogen involved, no release of N2 gas.

I agree. I was merely attempting to short-cut the explanation. Nitrogen and other gases, more accurately, are retained (or created -- such as CO2) as oxygen is depleted by the handwarmer process. The point I was making was that one does not need to "nitrogen flush" to accomplish the same goal.

Last edited:

kparker

Just to further quibble: I'm not aware of any iron rusting reactions that produce CO2. Yes, removing the oxygen might itself be a good thing, but it's not being "pushed up and out" by anything, it's combining with the Fe ...

The more I think of this, the more unconfortable I am with the idea of introducing a lot of powdered Iron into your 'hermetic' package. Do we have any chemists, metallurgists, or gunsmiths that can weigh in on this?

Last edited:

rapgood

Just to further quibble: I'm not aware of any iron rusting reactions that produce CO2. Yes, removing the oxygen might itself be a good thing, but it's not being "pushed up and out" by anything, it's combining with the Fe ...

The more I think of this, the more unconfortable I am with the idea of introducing a lot of powdered Iron into your 'hermetic' package. Do we have any chemists, metallurgists, or gunsmiths that can weigh in on this?

No. No. Quibble away. My understanding is from information related to long-term food storage and you obviously know much more about the chemistry than do I. Feel free to correct/educate me. Thanks!

kparker

OK, if you can believe the internet... the common iron-based hand warmers also typically contain SALT as a catalyst. That does it for me! I'll stick with recommending a good cleaning, a coat of your favorite gun oil, and a packet of silica gel inside a good-quality sealed bag.

Jeff Hayes

KParker, Rapgood What the heck is wrong with you two???? Logical, polite discourse, thoughts being exchanged, learning happening, I mean really we just can't have that here.

Seriously this is the way it should be but seldom is, KUDOS to you both.

amlevin

OK, if you can believe the internet... the common iron-based hand warmers also typically contain SALT as a catalyst. That does it for me! I'll stick with recommending a good cleaning, a coat of your favorite gun oil, and a packet of silica gel inside a good-quality sealed bag.

From "Chemical and Engineering News"

" Each pouch typically contains iron powder, salt, water, an absorbent material, and activated carbon. When the pouch is removed from its outer packaging, oxygen drifts across the pouch’s permeable covering. With salt and water present, the oxygen reacts with the iron powder located inside to form iron oxide (Fe2O3) and release heat."

If one merely leaves the hand warmer in the container long enough to consume the oxygen then quickly removes the packet and reseals the container, there isn't enough air exchange to reintroduce enough Oxygen to worry about.

Regardless, this is all overkill. Anyone ever hear of Cosmoline? It's been protecting weapons in long term storage for years.

kparker

Cosmoline? Sure, absolutely--if your anticipated storage time measures in decades. Otherwise life is way too short to clean up Yet Another Stored-in-cosmoline Firearm.