Thread: Gold star open carry state vs. open carry friendly state

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar

Gold star open carry state vs. open carry friendly state

I'm sure this question has been ask a million times, but what is the different in Gold star open carry state vs. open carry friendly state?
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    I'm sure this question has been ask a million times, but what is the different in Gold star open carry state vs. open carry friendly state?
    Gold star = the laws of the state do not note a stance against open carry or that right is specifically protected by statute.

Open carry friendly = OC generally accepted, may require a permit. There also may be other special conditions/restrictions i.e. no OC in bars, banks, municipal buildings, etc. It is the preponderance of these that may keep a state out of the Gold Star category.

Equally important is the reaction of LEA and the courts.

We have no states that have gone "platinum" - allow OC virtually everywhere by LAC.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Gold star = the laws of the state do not note a stance against open carry or that right is specifically protected by statute.

Open carry friendly = OC generally accepted, may require a permit. There also may be other special conditions/restrictions i.e. no OC in bars, banks, municipal buildings, etc. It is the preponderance of these that may keep a state out of the Gold Star category.

Equally important is the reaction of LEA and the courts.

We have no states that have gone "platinum" - allow OC virtually everywhere by LAC.
    Thank you for your time in answering my question.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.