• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gold star open carry state vs. open carry friendly state

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm sure this question has been ask a million times, but what is the different in Gold star open carry state vs. open carry friendly state?

Gold star = the laws of the state do not note a stance against open carry or that right is specifically protected by statute.

Open carry friendly = OC generally accepted, may require a permit. There also may be other special conditions/restrictions i.e. no OC in bars, banks, municipal buildings, etc. It is the preponderance of these that may keep a state out of the Gold Star category.

Equally important is the reaction of LEA and the courts.

We have no states that have gone "platinum" - allow OC virtually everywhere by LAC.

self preservation

Gold star = the laws of the state do not note a stance against open carry or that right is specifically protected by statute.

Open carry friendly = OC generally accepted, may require a permit. There also may be other special conditions/restrictions i.e. no OC in bars, banks, municipal buildings, etc. It is the preponderance of these that may keep a state out of the Gold Star category.

Equally important is the reaction of LEA and the courts.

We have no states that have gone "platinum" - allow OC virtually everywhere by LAC.

Thank you for your time in answering my question.