• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA lawsuit dismissed, Brady Bunch prevails

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Personally, I think the suit was poorly timed.

Also don't see it as a major victory for the Bradyites - the decision maintained the status quo. Those between 18 & 21 can still buy from a private seller.

NRA pick lost the election in 2008, NRA pick lost the election in 2012, NRA lawsuit dismissed in 2012. Send more money folks, send more money.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
In spite of the case being one of bad timing (there are lots of other fish to fry before we get to the issue of how old is old enough) the loss was not anywhere near as wonderful as the Bradys try to make it sound, and it is nowhere near te catastrophe 2A folks want to make it appear.

The 5th Circuit said the status quo remains the status quo. For now.

The decision does set out some guides for what needs to be addressed and "won"* before the matter is brought back up. If nothing else, that is a positive.

stay safe.

* How come we talk about "winning" back our rights? I know it is more PC than, for instance, saying we forced the .gov to recognize that the rights existed all along, or that we overthrew government oppression of rights. But couldn't we at least try "regain"? It does indicate we had the right, somehow misplaced it, and now have it again.

stay safe.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Part of the problem is that the NRA has a political agenda that is inconsistent with the Constitution. They don't press the issue of state law pre-empting federal law under the Tenth Amendment, nor do they press issues of personal freedom, such as (in this case) the right to equal protection under the law. The adult (person having reached the age of majority in the state in which he lives) is being discriminated against on the basis of an arbitrary age limit in federal legislation, when other adults in his community, similarly situation, are not subject to the same limitations. The NRA is not helping by botching cases. They are, however, setting up a climate in which gun owners will be afraid of the anti-gun crowd and feel forced to join and pay money to the NRA. The NRA is not unconditionally in favor of the law of personal defense. Last year they sponsored and nearly got enacted, a bill in Virginia which would have severely limited a person's right to defend his home from intruders; they called their bill the "castle doctrine" even though it would have basically gutted the castle doctrine law that already exists in Virginia. I don't like the way they take over litigation in order to promote their political agenda. If they believed in the law of personal defense, they'd contribute money to independent counsel who are working for their clients' interests.

eye95

NRA pick lost the election in 2008, NRA pick lost the election in 2012, NRA lawsuit dismissed in 2012. Send more money folks, send more money.

No, not to the NRA. I do not see them a grassroots defender of our rights, but more as a special interest group who will sacrifice rights to achieve a goal.