• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

hoe many people can legally OC together

J-SiN

One of my friends that has his concealed said that if 3 or more people OC they MUST all 3 have concealed permits
I did not see this addressed on the flyer and wanted to see if anyone knows?

IM in Union County Monroe area

Sorcice

Always ask people for cites to back up claims. Especially when the alternative is potentially very bad.

EMNofSeattle

I can see absolutely no way this is true.

I'm not familiar with the NC statutes themselves, however the NC Dept of Justice has produced this handy little reference guide.

I see nothing saying what you just described.

I mean it's possible that maybe if you have x number of people gathering on a public street or sidewalk you may need an event permit from the local authorities. but I don't see how that's germane to needing a CPL.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
One of my friends that has his concealed said that if 3 or more people OC they MUST all 3 have concealed permits
I did not see this addressed on the flyer and wanted to see if anyone knows?

IM in Union County Monroe area

How many people can you fit in a room? :lol:

There is no such law.

If in doubt, ask any LEO. Just kidding, you might get the same quality answer.

Hope you hang around and soak in the knowledge available here. Lots of good people willing to share.

ncwabbit

never ceases to amaze me how ppl forget PT Barnum's quote: "Opinions are like ********; everyone's got one.” as there are some individuals within the tarheel state who espouse their opinions, rightly or wrongly, to gullible folk as being truth.

Kodos to the OP for seeking out clarification which will go a long way to stop the spread of such garbage!!

wabbit

muccione

The answer is 4...But ONLY if everyone is wearing all black with a trench coat and Doc martin boots with white laces. Now if 1 or more are female than the boots MUST be substituted with 4 inch high heel spikes. And nobody can have the same caliber or brand of gun. The women MUST also have 2sq inches of pink on the gun. Also ONLY on the 5th Saturday of the month.

Where do people come up with these things?

madcitysw

Well, places do have a limit of how many people can be in a room. You see a sign on the walls that it is unlawful to a maximum of people in a room. Yes I know, can we really get away of 50 people carrying in the same room lol.

How many people can you fit in a room? :lol:

There is no such law.

If in doubt, ask any LEO. Just kidding, you might get the same quality answer.

Hope you hang around and soak in the knowledge available here. Lots of good people willing to share.

tattedupboy

I'm willing to bet that whoever told you that is neither an open carrier, a CCL holder, or a gun owner.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There is a raft of bad information out there. That is why we are here - educating and educating some more
icon14.png

ncwabbit

it is like the CHP instructors in the western part of the state continually telling their students once they get their CHP, they can no longer OC...like, R E A L L Y :banghead:

I would love to have them publically identified out here so we can set them straight once and for all...

Wabbit

rotorhead

Ouch

it is like the CHP instructors in the western part of the state continually telling their students once they get their CHP, they can no longer OC...like, R E A L L Y :banghead:

I would love to have them publically identified out here so we can set them straight once and for all...

Wabbit

Now that is a list worth posting lol.

OP- The next time someone whips a gem out like that, politely ask them to cite a source (law, case decision, etc) for you. Anyone with that vast amount of knowledge should be able to find it fast :)

Last edited:

carolina guy

Maybe?? Perhaps??

The OP was told by someone who was thinking of:

§ 14‑277.2. Weapons at parades, etc., prohibited.

§ 14‑277.2. Weapons at parades, etc., prohibited.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon. Violation of this subsection shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor. It shall be presumed that any rifle or gun carried on a rack in a pickup truck at a holiday parade or in a funeral procession does not violate the terms of this act.

(b) For the purposes of this section the term "dangerous weapon" shall include those weapons specified in G.S. 14‑269, 14‑269.2, 14‑284.1, or 14‑288.8 or any other object capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death when used as a weapon.

(c) The provisions of this section shall not apply to a person exempted by the provisions of G.S. 14‑269(b) or to persons authorized by State or federal law to carry dangerous weapons in the performance of their duties or to any person who obtains a permit to carry a dangerous weapon at a parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration from the sheriff or police chief, whichever is appropriate, of the locality where such parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration is to take place. (1981, c. 684, s. 1; 1983, c. 633; 1993, c. 412, s. 2; c. 539, s. 174; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 1997‑238, s. 4.)

Red Bold is my highlight... I guess it really would depend on what was being done ?? Although the CHP would not really do them any good unless they are one of the following:

G.S. 14‑269(b)

(b) This prohibition shall not apply to the following persons:

(1) Officers and enlisted personnel of the Armed Forces of the United States when in discharge of their official duties as such and acting under orders requiring them to carry arms and weapons;

(2) Civil and law enforcement officers of the United States;

(3) Officers and soldiers of the militia and the National Guard when called into actual service;

(4) Officers of the State, or of any county, city, town, or company police agency charged with the execution of the laws of the State, when acting in the discharge of their official duties;

(4a) Any person who is a district attorney, an assistant district attorney, or an investigator employed by the office of a district attorney and who has a concealed handgun permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter or considered valid under G.S. 14‑415.24; provided that the person shall not carry a concealed weapon at any time while in a courtroom or while consuming alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance or while alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance remains in the person's body. The district attorney, assistant district attorney, or investigator shall secure the weapon in a locked compartment when the weapon is not on the person of the district attorney, assistant district attorney, or investigator;

(4b) Any person who meets all of the following conditions:

a. Is a qualified retired law enforcement officer as defined in G.S. 14‑415.10.

b. Is the holder of a concealed handgun permit in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter.

c. Is certified by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission pursuant to G.S. 14‑415.26;

(4c) Detention personnel or correctional officers employed by the State or a unit of local government who park a vehicle in a space that is authorized for their use in the course of their duties may transport a firearm to the parking space and store that firearm in the vehicle parked in the parking space, provided that: (i) the firearm is in a closed compartment or container within the locked vehicle, or (ii) the firearm is in a locked container securely affixed to the vehicle;

(5) Sworn law‑enforcement officers, when off‑duty, provided that an officer does not carry a concealed weapon while consuming alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance or while alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance remains in the officer's body;

(6) State probation or parole certified officers, when off‑duty, provided that an officer does not carry a concealed weapon while consuming alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance or while alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance remains in the officer's body.

Last edited:

TDFbound

How many people can OC together? All of them, of course.

And why would you believe that any person would need a Concealed Carry Permit in order to carry "openly?"