Thread: "If you get a CPL you cannot OC" where did that start?

"If you get a CPL you cannot OC" where did that start?

By now most people have heard the same argument posed by some anti-gun cops and a handful of misguided gun shop attendants or self defense instructors, "If you get a CPL you agree to only carry concealed" or something along those lines. And every so often a new member will drop in and ask that question.

I've been studying this for some time, I just don't know how that got started, does anyone know of any state law, non-preempted local ordinance, or court case that involved that issue, or was it purely a fabrication, or as gogodawgs says "serial misinformation".

I'm yet to find a single state where that idea is true, so while we know getting a CPL in an OC friendly state doesn't nullify your rights to OC, my question is, does anyone know how that whole idea got started?
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    None that I know of. Sad that most people will believe any damn thing they are told and will not take the time to verify the information themselves. If you tell me that sky is blue I will have to look myself just to make sure. Now I am thankful that some people believe without doubt everything they are told......like my wife when I told her that an inch worm is actually 12 inches long
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

According to the extensive research I did while sitting on a bar stool, it began right after the first automobile driving license was issued and some whizbanger told the driver he couldn't ride a horse any longer now that he was qualified to drive a car.

Since September I've had two different people tell me this. One told me a cop said it to him and his father. The second guy I didn't ask.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Centurion
    Might only apply in a State that prohibited OPEN carry. But then it would be illegal to OC in ALL conditions not just for those with a permit to conceal!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    According to the extensive research I did while sitting on a bar stool, it began right after the first automobile driving license was issued and some whizbanger told the driver he couldn't ride a horse any longer now that he was qualified to drive a car.
    I love your logic Wish we lived closer together...I bet you're a blast to hang out with..
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.