• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"If you get a CPL you cannot OC" where did that start?

EMNofSeattle

By now most people have heard the same argument posed by some anti-gun cops and a handful of misguided gun shop attendants or self defense instructors, "If you get a CPL you agree to only carry concealed" or something along those lines. And every so often a new member will drop in and ask that question.

I've been studying this for some time, I just don't know how that got started, does anyone know of any state law, non-preempted local ordinance, or court case that involved that issue, or was it purely a fabrication, or as gogodawgs says "serial misinformation".

I'm yet to find a single state where that idea is true, so while we know getting a CPL in an OC friendly state doesn't nullify your rights to OC, my question is, does anyone know how that whole idea got started?

self preservation

None that I know of. Sad that most people will believe any damn thing they are told and will not take the time to verify the information themselves. If you tell me that sky is blue I will have to look myself just to make sure. Now I am thankful that some people believe without doubt everything they are told......like my wife when I told her that an inch worm is actually 12 inches long:lol:

Fallschirjmäger

According to the extensive research I did while sitting on a bar stool, it began right after the first automobile driving license was issued and some whizbanger told the driver he couldn't ride a horse any longer now that he was qualified to drive a car.

decklin

Since September I've had two different people tell me this. One told me a cop said it to him and his father. The second guy I didn't ask.

self preservation

According to the extensive research I did while sitting on a bar stool, it began right after the first automobile driving license was issued and some whizbanger told the driver he couldn't ride a horse any longer now that he was qualified to drive a car.

I love your logic:lol: Wish we lived closer together...I bet you're a blast to hang out with..