• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nine-year old Spring Valley boy injured in gun accident

Law abider

Wow wow wow!! Why was an 11 yr old unloading a gun!

It is unfathomable! How did he get hold of a gun! Mom! Pop! Where where you? Where was the gun? Did you give the kid permission to unload it?

tcox4freedom

Kid's have ways of getting hold of a gun. It's not always the parents fault when a kid gets hold of a gun. (BUT!!! It is ALWAYS a parents fault when it comes to ignoring teaching their child about firearm safety!)

When my son was 10 years old, he was playing with a few of his friends when a 12yr old friend of his brought a loaded handgun out to the woods. (This kid didn't even know it was real!) Had my son not been "taught" about firearms & firearm safety when he was younger, things could have turned tragic. Instead, my son took the gun away from the boy and safely transported it to an adult.

-

hermannr

I've shot various firearms since I was 8, got my first .22 for my 12th birthday (yes, mine and mine alone, to use when I wanted to, but I had to buy my own ammo, which I could do at any hardware store and most grocery stores....this was in the 50's)

What is wrong is parents don't train the kids proper gun safety and responsibility. Being 10 or 12 years old does not automatically disqualify a person from being safe and responsible, just like turning 21 does not automatically make them safe and responsible.

There is a cop in trouble here in WA because his 3 year old shot his 6 year old sister with his issue pistol. Come to find out, this little 3 yaer old had been working at getting into his dad's issued gun safe since he was old enough to walk....there is no age that is too young to state gun safety and discipline. This is not the first insidence of this either. I know of another one in WA (different officer) where his kid did manage to get into the issued gun safe, and one in ID.

Don't ever underestimate a young kid...ever.

tcox4freedom

I've shot various firearms since I was 8, got my first .22 for my 12th birthday (yes, mine and mine alone, to use when I wanted to, but I had to buy my own ammo, which I could do at any hardware store and most grocery stores....this was in the 50's)

What is wrong is parents don't train the kids proper gun safety and responsibility. Being 10 or 12 years old does not automatically disqualify a person from being safe and responsible, just like turning 21 does not automatically make them safe and responsible.

There is a cop in trouble here in WA because his 3 year old shot his 6 year old sister with his issue pistol. Come to find out, this little 3 yaer old had been working at getting into his dad's issued gun safe since he was old enough to walk....there is no age that is too young to state gun safety and discipline. This is not the first insidence of this either. I know of another one in WA (different officer) where his kid did manage to get into the issued gun safe, and one in ID.

Don't ever underestimate a young kid...ever.

Plus 1

Law abider

Update

http://www.piercecountyherald.com/event/article/id/49623/

There in investigation going on which I am sure is a standard protocol. Me thinks that once it is found out how the kid got the gun, it will be confiscated regardless of the fact that it may have been secured and in a gun safe. Now if it was lying around and they found it I know state statutes will call for some form of punishment to the parents on top of the confiscation. But then one would have to define 'lying around'. The parent could have hidden it in hopes that the kids would not find it because they did not have a safe yet. I hope they will get the gun back if it was removed from a gun safe by the kid. I suppose another factor will be if the kid broke into the safe or if he knew the combination.

The entire outcome will depend on the judge and the jury. It could be made to look that the gun owner was negligent by buying a cheap safe or if he didn't have the safe, he did not hid the gun well thus it could be considered 'lying around'. Everything in courts today becomes too subjective and anything can be made out of a situation like this.

Does anyone out there really think that the legal system will look at things objectively and come to a real conclusion?? Where a gun is concerned, I say no.

Firearms Iinstuctor

My brothers and my self and lots of our freinds shot, handled, loaded, unloaded and hunted when we were 8 to 10 years old.

its a matter of training not age.