• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man arrested in Lexington library..

self preservation

As always the story is very short and I'm sure they have left out a lot of details. Sounds to me like this may be a 65.870 issue.. By the way, check out what they charged him with... If he concealed his gun without a CCDW then I could see charging him with that. But not what they charged him with. After we learn the whole story it might be time for an OC meetup at this library...

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/Man-arrested-with-gun-at-library-180772281.html

Last edited:

self preservation

Yeah, if it was lying on the table it would make no sense to me. Now if it was holstered it would be a different story. But once again the media always does a piss poor job reporting the facts of these cases. I would like to know the facts. Not the LEO's "facts" or even the guys "facts" for that matter...but the true facts.(I know that's almost like a unicorn)

09jisaac

Assuming the part about it laying on the table was true, why would he do that? Idiot!

yeah, if that part is true. he should go to jail

You all are way to fast to turn on each other. As long as he was in control of the firearm and it was "stored" (Backpack, holster, purse, etc.) then what does it matter? He wasn't waving the thing around.

What would be the difference between him laying the firearm on the table and a woman laying the firearm on the table in a purse. Very little in actuality, but purse carry is generally accepted.

This is half the reason we have to fight for self defense rights anymore. Everyone, most in OUR group here, are too fast to call something stupid illegal.

Baked on Grease

You all are way to fast to turn on each other. As long as he was in control of the firearm and it was "stored" (Backpack, holster, purse, etc.) then what does it matter? He wasn't waving the thing around.

What would be the difference between him laying the firearm on the table and a woman laying the firearm on the table in a purse. Very little in actuality, but purse carry is generally accepted.

This is half the reason we have to fight for self defense rights anymore. Everyone, most in OUR group here, are too fast to call something stupid illegal.

Yup... Something that's wrong isn't necesarily illegal, and just because it's illegal doesn't mean it's wrong.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
We espose not handling guns in public, so as to not give any false impressions. Don't know how one places a gun on the table w/o handling it. In some states this might well constitute brandishing. Would I take it as threatening? - quite possibly.

Further it is alledged - "then tried to conceal it from officers" - more handling.

When I go into a library or anywhere else, my handgun stays holstered except in the gravest extreme..........period.

I get a similar image of a SA revolver laying on a poker table :uhoh:

Curtis C

i'm not fast to turn anything. if the dude had it out on the table out in the open off of his person. in a holster or not. you do not have control of that firearm. that is the kind of stupidity that can get someone hurt.

tattedupboy

If you are outside your home or vehicle, your firearm should ALWAYS be holstered on or about your person, point blank period! There is no reason it should be laying on a table if it isn't being used.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

self preservation

We espose not handling guns in public, so as to not give any false impressions. Don't know how one places a gun on the table w/o handling it. In some states this might well constitute brandishing. Would I take it as threatening? - quite possibly.

Further it is alledged - "then tried to conceal it from officers" - more handling.

When I go into a library or anywhere else, my handgun stays holstered except in the gravest extreme..........period.

I get a similar image of a SA revolver laying on a poker table :uhoh:

I read it as the officers saw the gun on the table, the guy saw the officers and tried to conceal it. But wouldn't one think that if LEO saw a man grap a gun when they walked in that a shooting would not have happened? As I said, I wish we knew the real story because there is just to much missing information.

CharleyCherokee

I'm sure they had a mini conference to figure out what they could possibly charge him with. Honestly after reading the statute I don't see how terroristic threatening is going to stick. Well from the information provided anyway.

Last edited:

garyh9900

While I wouldn't recommend it, in Kentucky citizens may choose to openly carry any firearm they wish. If I feel like a shotgun is what I need to carry today, then I can pack it all day long, including a trip to the library if I choose. Would I be subject to arrest if I set the shotgun down? I don't think that would be reasonable. I can set a firearm within my personal space somewhere off my body but still have control of the firearm. I can't find any info on the exact charged this guy is facing. If he attempted to conceal the firearm, and didn't possess a license then he was in the wrong. But just for setting it on the table, I have to say that is a no go.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
While I wouldn't recommend it, in Kentucky citizens may choose to openly carry any firearm they wish. If I feel like a shotgun is what I need to carry today, then I can pack it all day long, including a trip to the library if I choose. Would I be subject to arrest if I set the shotgun down? I don't think that would be reasonable. I can set a firearm within my personal space somewhere off my body but still have control of the firearm. I can't find any info on the exact charged this guy is facing. If he attempted to conceal the firearm, and didn't possess a license then he was in the wrong. But just for setting it on the table, I have to say that is a no go.

Don't know the laws of Kentuky well enough to respond, but the problem I see is that this incident virtually begs your lawmakers to address the issue.

Also see muzzle control as problematic when a gun is placed on a table.

CharleyCherokee

Last edited:

tattedupboy

The only time I could possibly imagine justifying the unholstering of one's weapon in a non self defense situation out in public is in the stall of a public restroom.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2

Curtis C

so what i am gathering from what is being said, you would go into a public place, restaurant, library what have ya, sit down think gee i think instead of keeping my firearm in my holster i'll just pull it out and sit it on the table for every one to see and enjoy. really?

Lord Sega

I read KRS 508.075, 508.078, and 508.080 Terroristic Threatening (1st, 2nd, and 3rd degree) and none of them even closely apply.
Having the weapon out of the holster and/or attempting to conceal it (if he doesn't have a CCDW) could bring different charges, but Terroristic Threatening is bogus.

Curtis C

i was thinking along the lines of some degree of endangerment. if not jail time he needs his guns taken away for such ignorance.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Y'all are thinking the gun on the table was UNHOLSTERED. No info given in the linked article. Moving a holstered firearm from the table to elsewhere when police arrive may not be wise or illegal. But this scenario might be more supportive of NOT getting shot in the library by the police.

Just thinking out loud at the keyboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk