Thread: SCOTUS blocks IL law making recording police illegal

SCOTUS blocks IL law making recording police illegal

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...0,686331.story
    The U.S. Supreme Court has blocked enforcement of an Illinois law that prohibited people from recording police officers on the job.

The justices on Monday left in place a lower court ruling that found that the state's anti-eavesdropping law violates free speech rights when used against people who tape law enforcement officers.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Banned
    Thanks for the note ... looks like I wasn't an idiot in another thread (that case is still pending)

http://vb.opencarry.org/forums/showt...n-from-the-gov

Right to privacy as a government employee? Ha ha .. does not trump the first amendment (for the most part)
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 11-26-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Thanks for the note ... looks like I wasn't an idiot in another thread (that case is still pending)

http://vb.opencarry.org/forums/showt...n-from-the-gov

Right to privacy as a government employee? Ha ha .. does not trump the first amendment (for the most part)
    Absolutely NOT an idiot!

I especially liked:
    Well, you should seen the response when I plead that the first amendment allows us to gather information & the 2nd allows us to defend ourselves from the government then I should be able to know the weapons that the state has so I can get weapons to overpower them in the protection of my life, home, family, and property..

The state called this "disturbing" ... and the hearing officer's eyes got as wide as plates ...
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

In the article photo does't Rahm Emanuel look like he just took a big o'le bite of a * sandwhich

Exclamation An open letter to the Officials of Illinois

Dear officials,
    I would like to take a moment to remind you of what it is you disgrace with your policies and laws on a daily basis. The rights you consistently try to strip from your honest citizens have been bought and paid for by hundred's of thousands of our fellow citizens. It is time for you to stop abusing what is not yours to abuse, the Constitution of the United States of America and the freedoms granted by it to the citizens of Illinois. When you harm them, you harm every citizen across this great nation and that will not stand, not now, not ever!

Last edited by FreeInAZ; 11-26-2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: video
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Sa
    lly Daly, a spokeswoman for Alvarez, said a high court ruling in the case could have provided "prosecutors across Illinois with legal clarification and guidance with respect to the constitutionality and enforcement" of the statute.
    What? The US Circuit Court of Appeals decision didn't clarify it enough? Didn't provide enough guidance? Somehow the concept of "No means no" seems to escape a wide range of people.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Sa

What? The US Circuit Court of Appeals decision didn't clarify it enough? Didn't provide enough guidance? Somehow the concept of "No means no" seems to escape a wide range of people.

stay safe.
    No means no! (Unless it conflicts with what I want to do, then no means it hasn't been decided yet)

Banned
    Mommy said no, so they asked Daddy.

He said no too!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Mommy said no, so they asked Daddy.

He said no too!
    That was funny!
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    That was funny!
    It would be even funnier if it wasn't so true.

So, if I understand correctly, since SCOTUS did NOT hear this case, but let the lower court decision stand, this only applies to the federal district in which the state of Illinois is located, but it does NOT apply across the country.

It applies as "settled law" in that District. All the other Districts are free to cite it as persuasive argument for finding the same thing in a case before them. Usually the fact that SCOTUS declined to hear the State's appeal is an indicator of how they feel about the matter.

Should a conflict between Diastricts arise, SCOTUS can pick a case and "settle" the law for everybody.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ldsgeek View Post
    It would be even funnier if it wasn't so true.
    Yes that's sad because what you said is true.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)