• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New member in Nampa

JK Idaho

Hi,
I'm in the Nampa area. I just turned 18, and can therefore legally carry now. I am working on getting my Maine CCW permit so I can CC, but for the meantime I'm stuck with OC. Just thought I'd check in, and that it'd be nice to have OC connections in this area.

DocWalker

My daughter lives in Nampa and I took her out to eat on Thanksgiving, OCed of course. The only place I suggest you don't go is the Nampa BOWLING ALLY. I took my daughter to dinner and then to bowl. After eating at the bowling ally we got a lane (nobody else around). As we put on our bowling shoes the manager (anti american) told me I couldn't have my weapon and had to take it to my car. I told him fine we would just leave and started to put our street shoes back on, he said you can put it in his safe...lol. I said no that I was in the military for 23 years was in Iraq in 91 and 05 and Afgahnistan in 03 and I would just rather leave a buisness that doesn't support the US Constitution. He said "I do", I said just not the 2A as I walked out.

DON'T SPEND YOUR MONEY THERE.

JK Idaho

Thanks for the welcome! I would love any advice on what places are non-OC friendly. It doesn't help that I just turned 18, so lots of people question me when they wouldn't somebody else.

carracer

Thanks for the welcome! I would love any advice on what places are non-OC friendly. It doesn't help that I just turned 18, so lots of people question me when they wouldn't somebody else.

Just carry like you've been doing it all your life. Be polite, it goes a long ways!

AK47hero

Bowl

welcome to the group. i also live in nampa

I found it almost impossible to bowl and carry. every time i would throw the ball it would hit my pistol. if it was lcp small and in my left pocket no problem. they have a bar and i don't carry when i drink so i never really carry in a bowling alley. hope a law abiding citizen is around with a firearm if shtf.

does anyone know when dollar day is?

Last edited:

DocWalker

welcome to the group. i also live in nampa

I found it almost impossible to bowl and carry. every time i would throw the ball it would hit my pistol. if it was lcp small and in my left pocket no problem. they have a bar and i don't carry when i drink so i never really carry in a bowling alley. hope a law abiding citizen is around with a firearm if shtf.

does anyone know when dollar day is?

Have you tried a shoulder holster or cross draw?

I live in Mountain Home and don't travel to Nampa without being armed. I refuse to leave it in the car but I do understand not carrying and drinking.

I usally only drink when on vacation in Las Vegas or at night in the Hot Tub.....lol

JK Idaho

Have you tried a shoulder holster or cross draw?

I live in Mountain Home and don't travel to Nampa without being armed. I refuse to leave it in the car but I do understand not carrying and drinking.

I usally only drink when on vacation in Las Vegas or at night in the Hot Tub.....lol

I'm guessing that you don't carry on either of those occasions. I'm just wondering, is there anywhere else in the Nampa/Boise area I should be wary of? I already know to avoid Alpha Omega Services (gunshop). They were VERY unfriendly to me when I tried to OC there. (I had turned 18 the day before and was naturally looking for a good price on an AR 15.)

DocWalker

I'm guessing that you don't carry on either of those occasions. I'm just wondering, is there anywhere else in the Nampa/Boise area I should be wary of? I already know to avoid Alpha Omega Services (gunshop). They were VERY unfriendly to me when I tried to OC there. (I had turned 18 the day before and was naturally looking for a good price on an AR 15.)

As far as places that I don't OC in Boise; I don't OC but I CC at the Boise mall the two times I have been there. They freak out at the sight of a self defense tool, I know you can't CC yet so I suggest avoiding the Boise mall. If I'm asked to leave I do never to return again but that has only happened once in 4 years of OCing and that was at the Nampa Bowling Ally. I OCed at the Kercher mall in Nampa and the security guy asked me about my weapon, I had a nice chat with him but I think he had pistol envy since he was a unarmed security guard in uniform.

As for the AR-15 it is cheaper and more exciting to build your own, I have build two and my friend builds them all the time.

JK Idaho

As far as places that I don't OC in Boise; I don't OC but I CC at the Boise mall the two times I have been there. They freak out at the sight of a self defense tool, I know you can't CC yet so I suggest avoiding the Boise mall. If I'm asked to leave I do never to return again but that has only happened once in 4 years of OCing and that was at the Nampa Bowling Ally. I OCed at the Kercher mall in Nampa and the security guy asked me about my weapon, I had a nice chat with him but I think he had pistol envy since he was a unarmed security guard in uniform.

As for the AR-15 it is cheaper and more exciting to build your own, I have build two and my friend builds them all the time.

Yeah, I want to get my AR completely off the paper, so private sales only is where I am at right now. And I am limited to $900 or less. If you know someone who has private sale parts or complete, let me know! BTW, have you ever had people take issue with the way your gun is carried? I am carrying a 1911, so of course it is cocked&locked, which has caused two different people to freak out over the fact that my gun is "cocked". It was weird. Neither case seemed to mind the pistol, but both lost it once they noticed that the hammer was back.

DocWalker

Yeah, I want to get my AR completely off the paper, so private sales only is where I am at right now. And I am limited to $900 or less. If you know someone who has private sale parts or complete, let me know! BTW, have you ever had people take issue with the way your gun is carried? I am carrying a 1911, so of course it is cocked&locked, which has caused two different people to freak out over the fact that my gun is "cocked". It was weird. Neither case seemed to mind the pistol, but both lost it once they noticed that the hammer was back.

I have been known to carry my 1911 from time to time but have never had anyone comment on the hammer being back. If they did I would have asked them if they where educated in this model? I would let them know that they are designed to be carried "locked and cocked" and a millisecond could be the difference between life and death.

I will talk to my friend (more like a brother) after serving in Iraq together and ask him what he would charge to build you one. He is very very good and I would trust him with my life...heck I have.

I know he was building them for less than that but that was a few years ago. I will send you a private message after I talk to him, I just don't have the time right now to be making anymore right now. Even if it is fun.

JK Idaho

I have been known to carry my 1911 from time to time but have never had anyone comment on the hammer being back. If they did I would have asked them if they where educated in this model? I would let them know that they are designed to be carried "locked and cocked" and a millisecond could be the difference between life and death.

I will talk to my friend (more like a brother) after serving in Iraq together and ask him what he would charge to build you one. He is very very good and I would trust him with my life...heck I have.

I know he was building them for less than that but that was a few years ago. I will send you a private message after I talk to him, I just don't have the time right now to be making anymore right now. Even if it is fun.

I could build my own, I just need a private sale lower, as my understanding is that is the part that requires the FFL and paperwork.

DocWalker

I could build my own, I just need a private sale lower, as my understanding is that is the part that requires the FFL and paperwork.

Yep but you might be able to pick up a lower from a private sale at one of the gun shows. I sold a AR-15 (A2) at one of the gun shows, I traded it for another firearm and cash. No paperwork, No problems,,

JK Idaho

The only gun show in the area that I'm aware of is the Nampa Rod & Gun one. It isn't very big. Are there any big ones coming up in the next couple months?

DocWalker

The only gun show in the area that I'm aware of is the Nampa Rod & Gun one. It isn't very big. Are there any big ones coming up in the next couple months?

Yep I just went to one at the Boise Expo/Fair Grounds a couple weeks ago. They have them there every few months, there are usally 400-500 tables. The tables range from people just trying to sale their guns and gun stuff, to ammo, knifes, and the big gun stores like Buckhorns.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis Clark Trader Gun ShowDate(s): 1/12/13 - 1/13/13

Event Details:

Buy/Sell/Trade Guns, Ammo and much more at Lewis Clark Trader Gun Show.
Sat 9a-6p Sun 9a-4p.
Admission: $6

JK Idaho

Yep I just went to one at the Boise Expo/Fair Grounds a couple weeks ago. They have them there every few months, there are usally 400-500 tables. The tables range from people just trying to sale their guns and gun stuff, to ammo, knifes, and the big gun stores like Buckhorns.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis Clark Trader Gun ShowDate(s): 1/12/13 - 1/13/13

Event Details:

Buy/Sell/Trade Guns, Ammo and much more at Lewis Clark Trader Gun Show.
Sat 9a-6p Sun 9a-4p.
Admission: $6

Thanks! Hopefully I can make it to that!

carracer

The only place I have ever been kicked out of was a Cowboy Fast Draw meet in Idaho City. I was in the stands watching when one of the Id. City club members came over and told me I couldn't be there with my firearm. When he sawmy 1911 in cond.1 he jumped up and exclaimed with wide eyes..."and it's cocked too!"

AK47hero

cheap AR

check out the S&W M&P sport 650$ impact guns has em, im thinking of picking one up. plenty of money left over for killer trigger or optic. already have the sw mp15r in 5.45x39 and love it. 2 inch groups at 100 yds, good enough for me!

DocWalker

The only place I have ever been kicked out of was a Cowboy Fast Draw meet in Idaho City. I was in the stands watching when one of the Id. City club members came over and told me I couldn't be there with my firearm. When he sawmy 1911 in cond.1 he jumped up and exclaimed with wide eyes..."and it's cocked too!"

I first thought it was funny an ID. City Club member had no clue about a 1911 but then realized he most likely only deals with vintage revolvers and guns.

I would have said no problem I will leave but you shouldn't go off half "Coccked".....lol

JK Idaho

check out the S&W M&P sport 650$ impact guns has em, im thinking of picking one up. plenty of money left over for killer trigger or optic. already have the sw mp15r in 5.45x39 and love it. 2 inch groups at 100 yds, good enough for me!

I'm really looking for a mil spec AR or components in a private sales so I can get the gun off the paper. Thanks for the suggestion though.