• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why the Sheepdog carries a weapon and the Sheep does not

NAVYBLUE

I went to the website of the gun shop owner in Pinetop, AZ who made national headlines by saying he wouldn't sell weapons to Obama supporters because they are not responsible enough.

I clicked on one of the tabs on the left hand side of the home page and came across this article I reference below. If you have sometimes struggled with words to explain to someone why you carry as I sometimes do, this article by a retired Colonel nails it. It's a long read by worth every minute.

http://southwestshootingauthority.com/1775255.html

NAVYBLUE

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I've never been real fond of the sheepdog metaphor.

I go about armed, but do not see myself as a protector of others. Would I step in and help another? Sure, but only if circumstances are clear.*

I think the author is adding an unnecessary significance. I don't need to think of myself as special, or a sheepdog, or a self-appointed protector. My self-esteem and identity don't need it.

But, hey, if the author or a reader needs a little boost for his self-importance, OK by me.

For myself, folks will find Ben Franklin's comment on democracy a little more accurate. Franklin said (paraphrase), "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Think of me as an armed lamb.

*Unfortunately, the genuine sheepdogs (police) seem to tolerate wolves in their midst (Blue Wall of Silence). Helping others in a lethal force or threat of lethal force situation can be a little dicey and not just from the perspective of getting hurt yourself. Witnesses have been known to turn and support the wolf during the after-shooting investigation. Also, the genuine sheepdogs seem to be sometimes unable to distinguish armed citizens from wolves, the poor armed sheep then having to defend himself in court.

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

Ever since I decided to go armed, I've stated that I am not a sheep, sheep dog or a wolf. I am a human being who made the deliberate choice to defend myself and my family. I don't feel the need to classify myself with any special labels or groups; I'm an armed person, and that's the most fitting description I can think of.