• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

permit approval sitting at the new britain pd chief desk

Afragu

so i just got word that my permit approval has been sitting at the chief desk for 2 weeks hopefully i'll get it by next week.

Rich B

This is a standard line by most PDs used as a stalling tactic. Have you filed an appeal? Assuming it went to the Chief's desk when they received the national criminal history report back, you are over a week past the deadlines in CGS 29-29.

Afragu

This is a standard line by most PDs used as a stalling tactic. Have you filed an appeal? Assuming it went to the Chief's desk when they received the national criminal history report back, you are over a week past the deadlines in CGS 29-29.

no, I haven't yet i was thinking about that, I don't know if that would help me out though,the lady i spoke with told me to give em until next week.I did tell her that they have 5 days to approve or denied my permit after they receive it back from Middletown.she also that they have to get the fbi bg check but I know thats b.s I will be calling them everyday after today.

Rich B

no, I haven't yet i was thinking about that, I don't know if that would help me out though,the lady i spoke with told me to give em until next week.I did tell her that they have 5 days to approve or denied my permit after they receive it back from Middletown.she also that they have to get the fbi bg check but I know thats b.s I will be calling them everyday after today.

They have '1 week' to approve or deny when they receive the national criminal history check. Not 5 days.

Stop calling the local PD. Call SPBI and get your dates. Appeal if your deadlines have been exceeded.

860-685-8480 - SPBI

Ask for 'records'. Have your money order information ready.

Afragu

They have '1 week' to approve or deny when they receive the national criminal history check. Not 5 days.

Stop calling the local PD. Call SPBI and get your dates. Appeal if your deadlines have been exceeded.

860-685-8480 - SPBI

Ask for 'records'. Have your money order information ready.

I did call spbi and they said they were sent out the 9th back to New Britain Pd,so i called N.B records and they said it was sitting at the chief desk.

motoxmann

I did call spbi and they said they were sent out the 9th back to New Britain Pd,so i called N.B records and they said it was sitting at the chief desk.

fill out your appeal letter AND questionaire and mail it today.
has it been more than 8 weeks since you submitted the app and fingerprints? if yes, you have TWO reasons to appeal.
them saying to give them until next week is rediculous, they've already exceeded the state statutes, and you have grounds to appeal right now.

better to send it now then several days from now. if BFPE sends documents to NB before they issue your permit, it'll simply kick em in the butt to get it finalised that much quicker. and it'll pressure them into knowing they are being watched in regards to abiding by the statutes.

just remember that if you file the appeal, you MUST notify the BFPE immediately if you receive your permit

Rich B

fill out your appeal letter AND questionaire and mail it today.
has it been more than 8 weeks since you submitted the app and fingerprints? if yes, you have TWO reasons to appeal.
them saying to give them until next week is rediculous, they've already exceeded the state statutes, and you have grounds to appeal right now.

better to send it now then several days from now. if BFPE sends documents to NB before they issue your permit, it'll simply kick em in the butt to get it finalised that much quicker. and it'll pressure them into knowing they are being watched in regards to abiding by the statutes.

just remember that if you file the appeal, you MUST notify the BFPE immediately if you receive your permit

Very well said.

davidmcbeth

Banned
2 Send The Appellant Questionnaire: link to questionnaire

Scroll to bottom of page to "Printable Version" and print. Complete the 3 page questionnaire. The deadline to send in the questionnaire is 90 days, or your case will be placed on the "Dormancy Calendar" at the next hearing. This could mean your appeal will end.

The last page of the Questionnaire is an “Arrest History and Motor Vehicle History” form. Please note the word arrest History vs. Conviction. If you are not sure of what you were charged with when arrested or you forgot the date, you can get a copy of your arrest record from the Dept of Public Safety (D.P.S) for $50 (860-685-8290) and a copy of your motor vehicle history from the Dept. of Motor Vehicles for $30. We suggest you should also send copies of court documents, letters of recommendation, certificates, or witness testimony letters if available.

from website linked above ....

I objected to the arrest history and MV history .. and the board ruled it was not mandatory to complete. If you complete it and something is missing or incorrect then they can use this against you in your appeal for not being honest. I also objected to the employer question because, under 29-32b(c) they can contact your employer .. and your employer will think you are a criminal of some sort because your permit was denied. The board ruled that the employer information is not required as well.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You could reapply and disclose the information.

Were the arrests convictions? Is the protective order still in effect?

I disagree .... reapply and OBJECT to the request for information.

He did not get denied because of the information , he was denied because he did not disclose.

I doubt a 2005 PO is in effect any more....

Arrests are irrelevant ....

So you can either a) reapply and just write "objection" or "not relevant" on all queries that are not relevant OR appeal and argue that they aren't ... but your case is stronger if you reapply at the PD IMO; after all while the information is not relevant - failure to disclose may be considered dishonesty...

The OP cannot have not known he had some arrests .... and the PO is likely related to one of the arrests

Last edited:

motoxmann

The OP cannot have not known he had some arrests .... and the PO is likely related to one of the arrests

not that it's relevant, but that may or may not be an accurate guess. for example, I personally was denied on my first application because I checked "no" for have I ever been arrested, when in fact I had been arrested twice in my life. and I honestly did NOT know I was arrested either of those 2 times

I gathered the correct info and included it on a new app and then reapplied; I now have my permit.

I doubt a 2005 PO is in effect any more....

x2. and just to clarify for the OP; an active PO/RO makes you ineligible for a PP. but if it has been cancelled or expired, which it probably has, then you are eligible; so long as they still deem you suitable. and of course so long as you have never been convicted of any of the charges listed in the statutes which also would make you ineligible

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
not that it's relevant, but that may or may not be an accurate guess. for example, I personally was denied on my first application because I checked "no" for have I ever been arrested, when in fact I had been arrested twice in my life. and I honestly did NOT know I was arrested either of those 2 times

I gathered the correct info and included it on a new app and then reapplied; I now have my permit.

x2. and just to clarify for the OP; an active PO/RO makes you ineligible for a PP. but if it has been cancelled or expired, which it probably has, then you are eligible; so long as they still deem you suitable. and of course so long as you have never been convicted of any of the charges listed in the statutes which also would make you ineligible

Well, the OP can sidestep this issue (and others) by just responding that the information requested is not relevant.

In respect to a PO/RO making a person ineligible...I don't think that its true anymore. Now if the order takes away the gun rights of the individual then yes .. but a PO/RO issued that does not touch the gun owner's right to own a gun, then I think that the law is incorrect. Its a harder "sell" to be sure and may require more than a visit in front of the board. My case this month will touch on this subject matter.

Rich B

He did not get denied because of the information , he was denied because he did not disclose.

We do not know that. The denial very well might have been for a conviction, which we can still assist with. Never assume that every applicant understands the intricate differences between arrests, nolles, dismissals, convictions and how the erasure system works.

This is the kind of problem where the applicant needs to give more information and work with us to figure out the correct course of action.

Not true at all. We see these things all the time which is why we have made tools like our Conviction History search available: http://ctcarry.com/ConvictionHistory/StateSearch

davidmcbeth

Banned
We do not know that..... Never assume that every applicant understands the intricate differences between arrests, nolles, dismissals, convictions and how the erasure system works.

This is the kind of problem where the applicant needs to give more information and work with us to figure out the correct course of action.

Not true at all. We see these things all the time which is why we have made tools like our Conviction History search available: http://ctcarry.com/ConvictionHistory/StateSearch

Well, the law in respect to arrests, nolles, etc is very complicated. I would not want to get into a discussion of an arrest in public ... the time for that is in court, if ever there is a need..anything you say in from of the board could be used against you later in not only the case regarding the arrest but in other cases.

The best course of action is to just put on the application that arrest & MV record is not relevant or not required.

They can ask for any information they desire on the form; it does not mean that the information being requested is mandatory.

Has CT carry headed any efforts to change the DPS form in what they can ask? It something to consider.

I have already gotten the board to agree that 1/2 of what they ask is not proper to ask .. but the ? will still be on the form; I don't think the board can require DESPP to change the form.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
We are still a long way off from being able to accomplish this. It is on 'the list', however.

well, the board has already ruled on their questionnaire's questions being not relevant ... I have objected to the town's questionnaire's answers under the same legal theory (and on the DPS form too) ... so a ruling will be forth coming that may be of help to accomplish.

But DESPP is full of psychopaths ... so getting them to do this w/o a court order will be difficult ... I will ask the board for this relief (I don't know if they have the authority to issue such an order...but I will ask)...

"you're always preparing!"...spaceballs