Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Costco unfriendly to OC AND their response

Costco unfriendly to OC AND their response

I was traveling across the state and went into a Costco in Wenatchee. Showed ID upon entering as required and when I was in the middle of the store, a tall supervisor came up to me and said I could not carry a pistol there. I said that as a concerned and legal citizen (not many in Wenatchee) I am cognizant of the law that OC is legal in our state and that I saw no posting to the contrary outside the building.
    He said that it is posted, that it is their policy and that it is private property. I said then I have no argument with you and will remove the weapon.
    Upon re-entering the Costco store I looked again for signage at the entry point, THERE WAS NONE. I approached the same man who was checking Membership ID at the door and pointed out what had just happened. He knew as they are on radios and he was the one who contacted management. You have a copy shop and sign shop here in the store, why don't you people post this if it is your policy or maybe you just like making a scene with your unsuspecting customers. He offered nothing productive to the conversation so I left it alone.

I will contact Costco corporate management for clarification to see if in fact this is a system wide corporate policy or just some local chicken neck flexing his assumed authority.

This incident occurred on Sunday November 25 at about 3:30pm.

-------------------------

HERE IS COSTCO'S RESPONSE:

Dear Tim,

We appreciate you taking the time to email Costco Wholesale.

Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.

Thank you,

Costco Wholesale Corporation

signs, signs everywhere a sign...except at Costco

...they didn't even address why they do not have it posted outside their doors that it is a no carry zone. Geez.

concealed weapon

So, since it is not posted just carry concealed as that is legal and they wouldn't know.

How about just take them up on their offer of the membership refund and shop elsewhere?
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    How about just take them up on their offer of the membership refund and shop elsewhere?
    Bingo. Not only would I not want to give my money to an anti-gun establishment for their products, I definitely wouldn't want to pay them $50/yr for the privilege of doing so. There are plenty of establishments with just as good of prices on the same merchandise that won't ask you to give up your rights to be on their property. Why would you further an establishment that does? Let the free market work.

and why did you start a new topic instead of posting in the one you started yesterday?

are you new to the interwebz?
    US Constitution - void where prohibited by law.

Re: Costco unfriendly to OC AND their response

Re: Costco unfriendly to OC AND their response

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    You beat me to it. I'm tired of seeing a new Costco thread everyday. Costco is anti-gun. Its in the membership policy. Go to Sam's.

Well,,,

Quote Originally Posted by SPOProds View Post
    You beat me to it. I'm tired of seeing a new Costco thread everyday. Costco is anti-gun. Its in the membership policy. Go to Sam's.
    It is odd,,, that costco does NOT have a printed NO GUNS POLICY.......
    They do have an e-mail that they will send out when needed,,, I have seen the SAME one here many times...
    Lots of OCers get trouble from various costcos from time to time,,,,, BUT
    I read of and know MANY forum members that OC at costcos all Over the states,,,,
    That report that they NEVER have been hastled for OCing thier self defense tools while they shop!!!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by compmanio365 View Post
    Bingo. Not only would I not want to give my money to an anti-gun establishment for their products, I definitely wouldn't want to pay them $50/yr for the privilege of doing so. There are plenty of establishments with just as good of prices on the same merchandise that won't ask you to give up your rights to be on their property. Why would you further an establishment that does? Let the free market work.
    That's how I feel, no guns inside=none of my money inside. It's that simple.

I will take my money to a pro gun establishment instead.

I'm not sure which thread is more worn out the Costco threads, or the one where the CC only crowd says OC'ing makes you a target. I will regret posting this because it will move this dead horse to the top of the list.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    I'm not sure which thread is more worn out the Costco threads, or the one where the CC only crowd says OC'ing makes you a target. I will regret posting this because it will move this dead horse to the top of the list.
    Shame on you for desecrating a dead horse. LOL
    Last edited by LkWd_Don; 11-27-2012 at 08:07 PM.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement. The faults of a few, reflect badly on many, I therefore do not suggest anyone support WAC. My EDC is either a H&K USP .40 or a Taurus 689 .357 filled with Snake Loads

Quote Originally Posted by motorhommie View Post
    Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace.
    So Costco is asserting that they are responsible for the safety of their customers while shopping? If someone gets mugged in the parking lot because they are disarmed by Costco's rules, is Costco liable for failing to protect them? I've never seen an armed security guard in any Costco. I've never seen a security guard of any kind out in the parking lot.

If someone decides to holding a mass shooting spree inside a Costco, what measures has Costco taken to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and a safe workplace despite the presence of a crazed gunman?

Or do they truly believe that someone intent on committing multiple first degree murders will respect Costco policy and take their crime elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by SPOProds View Post

Actually, it's not.

Until I get kicked out...

I signed up for my Costco membership while open carrying several years ago, got the card photo while carrying and everything, and I OC every time I shop there. I don't make a scene and I've never been hassled. If they ever decide to make it a problem, I will certainly get a refund of my membership fee. But since we buy so much there for our family. I don't expect anybody wants to make an issue out of it. Not every store and every manager takes their responsibility to enforce the mothership's rules so seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by sandy View Post
    I signed up for my Costco membership while open carrying several years ago, got the card photo while carrying and everything, and I OC every time I shop there. I don't make a scene and I've never been hassled. If they ever decide to make it a problem, I will certainly get a refund of my membership fee. But since we buy so much there for our family. I don't expect anybody wants to make an issue out of it. Not every store and every manager takes their responsibility to enforce the mothership's rules so seriously.
    May I ask, which store?

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    So Costco is asserting that they are responsible for the safety of their customers while shopping? If someone gets mugged in the parking lot because they are disarmed by Costco's rules, is Costco liable for failing to protect them? I've never seen an armed security guard in any Costco. I've never seen a security guard of any kind out in the parking lot.

If someone decides to holding a mass shooting spree inside a Costco, what measures has Costco taken to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and a safe workplace despite the presence of a crazed gunman?

Or do they truly believe that someone intent on committing multiple first degree murders will respect Costco policy and take their crime elsewhere?
    They feel they are creating a safer place, misguided and not based on fact or reality, but different than saying they are responsible for your safety, don't shop there or conceal.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    don't shop there or conceal.
    That would be too easy. Then there would be nothing for some to post on and worst of all, no confrontation
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    What would you do if it was clearly posted at the entrance?
    I would not carry in their as it is their right as a private property owner. That is the law.

Quote Originally Posted by difdi View Post
    so costco is asserting that they are responsible for the safety of their customers while shopping? If someone gets mugged in the parking lot because they are disarmed by costco's rules, is costco liable for failing to protect them? I've never seen an armed security guard in any costco. I've never seen a security guard of any kind out in the parking lot.

If someone decides to holding a mass shooting spree inside a costco, what measures has costco taken to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and a safe workplace despite the presence of a crazed gunman?

Or do they truly believe that someone intent on committing multiple first degree murders will respect costco policy and take their crime elsewhere?
    bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by DCKilla View Post
    May I ask, which store?
    I believe I said in my post that it was the WENATCHEE WA store.

I believe I said in my post that it was the WENATCHEE WA store.
    His question about which store was directed to Sandy, not you.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

I would not carry in their as it is their right as a private property owner. That is the law.
    Please cite what makes it "the law". In WA it is not illegal to ignore a gun buster sign on private property. It would however be trespass if caught and refused to leave. The only gun buster signs that hold the weight of law are those posted at places restricted by RCW 9.41.300, 9.41.280 and the obscure "Outdoor Music Festval" RCW. Along with federally restricted places.

- Thor
    Let me make a short, opening, blanket statement. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a decent person is no threat to anybody - except bad people.

- Charleton Heston

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    That makes no sense whatsoever. They express their rights as a property owner to you via written communication that they are prohibiting guns on their property via letter, and you well ignore that. But that changes if the exact same written notification to you is via a sign? I can't understand what the difference is.
    Well, I don't want to get flaming but your general statement doesn't make sense. The question was put to me HAD there been a sign, what would I have done.

Following basic logic, that is a query as to the condition prior to any of this happening.

As far as now, you will have to just wonder.

And what about my private property rights? Or does Costco own my body, my wallet, the contents of my pockets, etc just because I stepped onto their land?
    Last edited by Difdi; 12-01-2012 at 04:08 AM. Reason: replied to wrong post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast