• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Costco unfriendly to OC AND their response

motorhommie

I was traveling across the state and went into a Costco in Wenatchee. Showed ID upon entering as required and when I was in the middle of the store, a tall supervisor came up to me and said I could not carry a pistol there. I said that as a concerned and legal citizen (not many in Wenatchee) I am cognizant of the law that OC is legal in our state and that I saw no posting to the contrary outside the building.
He said that it is posted, that it is their policy and that it is private property. I said then I have no argument with you and will remove the weapon.
Upon re-entering the Costco store I looked again for signage at the entry point, THERE WAS NONE. I approached the same man who was checking Membership ID at the door and pointed out what had just happened. He knew as they are on radios and he was the one who contacted management. You have a copy shop and sign shop here in the store, why don't you people post this if it is your policy or maybe you just like making a scene with your unsuspecting customers. He offered nothing productive to the conversation so I left it alone.

I will contact Costco corporate management for clarification to see if in fact this is a system wide corporate policy or just some local chicken neck flexing his assumed authority.

This incident occurred on Sunday November 25 at about 3:30pm.

-------------------------

HERE IS COSTCO'S RESPONSE:

Dear Tim,

We appreciate you taking the time to email Costco Wholesale.

Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.

Thank you,

Costco Wholesale Corporation

motorhommie

signs, signs everywhere a sign...except at Costco

...they didn't even address why they do not have it posted outside their doors that it is a no carry zone. Geez.

motorhommie

concealed weapon

So, since it is not posted just carry concealed as that is legal and they wouldn't know.

compmanio365

How about just take them up on their offer of the membership refund and shop elsewhere?

Bingo. Not only would I not want to give my money to an anti-gun establishment for their products, I definitely wouldn't want to pay them $50/yr for the privilege of doing so. There are plenty of establishments with just as good of prices on the same merchandise that won't ask you to give up your rights to be on their property. Why would you further an establishment that does? Let the free market work.

HK_dave

and why did you start a new topic instead of posting in the one you started yesterday?

are you new to the interwebz?

1245A Defender

Well,,,

You beat me to it. I'm tired of seeing a new Costco thread everyday. Costco is anti-gun. Its in the membership policy. Go to Sam's.

It is odd,,, that costco does NOT have a printed NO GUNS POLICY.......
They do have an e-mail that they will send out when needed,,, I have seen the SAME one here many times...
Lots of OCers get trouble from various costcos from time to time,,,,, BUT
I read of and know MANY forum members that OC at costcos all Over the states,,,,
That report that they NEVER have been hastled for OCing thier self defense tools while they shop!!!

leitung

Bingo. Not only would I not want to give my money to an anti-gun establishment for their products, I definitely wouldn't want to pay them $50/yr for the privilege of doing so. There are plenty of establishments with just as good of prices on the same merchandise that won't ask you to give up your rights to be on their property. Why would you further an establishment that does? Let the free market work.

That's how I feel, no guns inside=none of my money inside. It's that simple.

I will take my money to a pro gun establishment instead.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I'm not sure which thread is more worn out the Costco threads, or the one where the CC only crowd says OC'ing makes you a target. I will regret posting this because it will move this dead horse to the top of the list.

LkWd_Don

I'm not sure which thread is more worn out the Costco threads, or the one where the CC only crowd says OC'ing makes you a target. I will regret posting this because it will move this dead horse to the top of the list.

Shame on you for desecrating a dead horse. LOL

Last edited:

Difdi

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace.

So Costco is asserting that they are responsible for the safety of their customers while shopping? If someone gets mugged in the parking lot because they are disarmed by Costco's rules, is Costco liable for failing to protect them? I've never seen an armed security guard in any Costco. I've never seen a security guard of any kind out in the parking lot.

If someone decides to holding a mass shooting spree inside a Costco, what measures has Costco taken to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and a safe workplace despite the presence of a crazed gunman?

Or do they truly believe that someone intent on committing multiple first degree murders will respect Costco policy and take their crime elsewhere?

sandy

Until I get kicked out...

I signed up for my Costco membership while open carrying several years ago, got the card photo while carrying and everything, and I OC every time I shop there. I don't make a scene and I've never been hassled. If they ever decide to make it a problem, I will certainly get a refund of my membership fee. But since we buy so much there for our family. I don't expect anybody wants to make an issue out of it. Not every store and every manager takes their responsibility to enforce the mothership's rules so seriously.

DCKilla

I signed up for my Costco membership while open carrying several years ago, got the card photo while carrying and everything, and I OC every time I shop there. I don't make a scene and I've never been hassled. If they ever decide to make it a problem, I will certainly get a refund of my membership fee. But since we buy so much there for our family. I don't expect anybody wants to make an issue out of it. Not every store and every manager takes their responsibility to enforce the mothership's rules so seriously.
May I ask, which store?

sudden valley gunner

So Costco is asserting that they are responsible for the safety of their customers while shopping? If someone gets mugged in the parking lot because they are disarmed by Costco's rules, is Costco liable for failing to protect them? I've never seen an armed security guard in any Costco. I've never seen a security guard of any kind out in the parking lot.

If someone decides to holding a mass shooting spree inside a Costco, what measures has Costco taken to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and a safe workplace despite the presence of a crazed gunman?

Or do they truly believe that someone intent on committing multiple first degree murders will respect Costco policy and take their crime elsewhere?

They feel they are creating a safer place, misguided and not based on fact or reality, but different than saying they are responsible for your safety, don't shop there or conceal.

motorhommie

so costco is asserting that they are responsible for the safety of their customers while shopping? If someone gets mugged in the parking lot because they are disarmed by costco's rules, is costco liable for failing to protect them? I've never seen an armed security guard in any costco. I've never seen a security guard of any kind out in the parking lot.

If someone decides to holding a mass shooting spree inside a costco, what measures has costco taken to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and a safe workplace despite the presence of a crazed gunman?

Or do they truly believe that someone intent on committing multiple first degree murders will respect costco policy and take their crime elsewhere?

bingo!