• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Costco unfriendly to OC AND their response

Thor80

I would not carry in their as it is their right as a private property owner. That is the law.

Please cite what makes it "the law". In WA it is not illegal to ignore a gun buster sign on private property. It would however be trespass if caught and refused to leave. The only gun buster signs that hold the weight of law are those posted at places restricted by RCW 9.41.300, 9.41.280 and the obscure "Outdoor Music Festval" RCW. Along with federally restricted places.

- Thor

motorhommie

That makes no sense whatsoever. They express their rights as a property owner to you via written communication that they are prohibiting guns on their property via letter, and you well ignore that. But that changes if the exact same written notification to you is via a sign? I can't understand what the difference is.

Well, I don't want to get flaming but your general statement doesn't make sense. The question was put to me HAD there been a sign, what would I have done.

Following basic logic, that is a query as to the condition prior to any of this happening.

As far as now, you will have to just wonder.

Sorcice

The one here in Madison, wi is posted. It wasn't before we got conceal carry a year ago but this Costco jumped on the bandwagon with a bunch of other places in town.

Difdi

Do my private property rights trump your rules if I ever visit your house?

You're making this out to be a mutually exclusive situation. It's not. I can control who stands on my property and you can control what's in your pockets. If I object to the contents of your pockets I can tell you to leave.

If I have money in my pocket, it does not interfere with your ownership of your land, no matter where I'm standing. But you can't rob me just because I'm standing on your land or expect for no readily apparent reason that no one will ever have money in their pockets when they step onto your property.

Last edited:

massivedesign

You're making this out to be a mutually exclusive situation. It's not. I can control who stands on my property and you can control what's in your pockets. If I object to the contents of your pockets I can tell you to leave.

No objection there.

If I have money in my pocket, it does not interfere with your ownership of your land, no matter where I'm standing.

Doesn't matter. If a condition of entry onto my property is to have your pockets void of money, then you either have to comply or vacate.

But you can't rob me just because I'm standing on your land or expect for no readily apparent reason that no one will ever have money in their pockets when they step onto your property.

I am not following? Nowhere in this discussion (involving me) did I ever advocate or compare robbing a person. If you are talking about robbing you of a right to carry money, yes I can. It's my property. I am allowed to make the rules, enforce the rules and even change them at my whim.

Last edited:

rapgood

I am not following? Nowhere in this discussion (involving me) did I ever advocate or compare robbing a person. If you are talking about robbing you of a right to carry money, yes I can. It's my property. I am allowed to make the rules, enforce the rules and even change them at my whim.

You appear to be conflating the crime of "robbery" with the right to impose rules regarding one's license to be on your property or as a condition of entry and remaining at your invitation. I think that using the term "robbery" confuses the issue. "Robbery" has a specific, legal meaning, which is the "felonious taking of money, personal property, or any other article of value, in possession of another, from his person or immediate presence, and accomplished by means of force or fear." This is generally the image brought to mind when one uses the term.

A "right to carry money" is not "money," personal property" or an "article of value."