Thread: When should I contact the clerk of the court?

When should I contact the clerk of the court?

Not entirely an OC topic, but I'd really rather not sign up for yet another forum to ask it...

I'm sitting here through day 36 of 45, kind of getting a little antsy. Was thinking about calling the clerk of the court to see if there were any issues with my CHP application. Should I just wait till day 45 after mail delivery (Around 1PM for me) or would a check-up call not hurt? Last thing I want to do is be a pest to the guy who hands out permission slips... I just want to make sure it didn't disappear in the mail system...

Also, do the courts send out the CHP in regular First Class Mail or is it sent out certified?

-Thanks, Koty

Quote Originally Posted by Kotyaer View Post
    Not entirely an OC topic, but I'd really rather not sign up for yet another forum to ask it...

I'm sitting here through day 36 of 45, kind of getting a little antsy. Was thinking about calling the clerk of the court to see if there were any issues with my CHP application. Should I just wait till day 45 after mail delivery (Around 1PM for me) or would a check-up call not hurt? Last thing I want to do is be a pest to the guy who hands out permission slips... I just want to make sure it didn't disappear in the mail system...

Also, do the courts send out the CHP in regular First Class Mail or is it sent out certified?

-Thanks, Koty
    It's only approaching Christmas in our world, not within the court. I'd just wait. They're well within their time frame. They actually don't have to mail it until day 45.

AFIK, they'll likely send it 1st class mail.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Thanks for the info.

Main reason for concern is that after Sandy, I was getting missent mail at my PO for places in Long Island, NY, Jersey, mainland VA, Maryland, Indiana... Just knowing that with my luck, my CHP was sent out to Alaska...

Also, would a natural disaster be a legitimate reason for it to be handled past 45 days? With how bad things were here, I wouldn't blame them, but it would be nice to know.

Thanks for the info.

Main reason for concern is that after Sandy, I was getting missent mail at my PO for places in Long Island, NY, Jersey, mainland VA, Maryland, Indiana... Just knowing that with my luck, my CHP was sent out to Alaska...

Also, would a natural disaster be a legitimate reason for it to be handled past 45 days? With how bad things were here, I wouldn't blame them, but it would be nice to know.
    A friend of mine applied to Accomac and got his in a couple weeks. Probably wouldn’t hurt to give them a call. If you have any problems give me a call.
    John

Gave them a call, got the scripted response of "it usually takes 4-6 weeks" Guess I'll be the latter. Can't imagine they get too many applications to process...

They did say that Sandy didn't slow anything down. Could it be that I'm a recent transplant? I've read of people getting them in about a week and change in the rest of the state...

Could it be that I'm a recent transplant?
    Possible they may have to wait for background check from last residence location. I’m not that familiar with that issue.

Founder's Club Member
    Speed of process seems to vary considerably by county. Some report getting their permits very swiftly (roughly a couple weeks), others wait the full 45 days.

I don't know if the police are required to do more than call the jurisdictions in which you formerly resided. A deputy clerk once told me that the cop will sometimes travel to the previous address and verify that it exists, but I don't know if that is compulsory.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Sure makes me happy I don't have to deal with that Crap.

When should I contact the clerk of the court?

Mine arrived at my house on the 45th day. According to the paper work it had sat there for 3 weeks waiting for a judge to sign it. Be patient and wait the 45 days. If it doesn't show up, head up to the courthouse an request (demand if necessary) a temporary permit.

My VA permit just expired so I got a PA permit (required to OC in a vehicle in PA) The reason I mention it here is because I took my application in and had my permit in hand about 30 minutes later. Sure beats all the pointless waiting.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Mine arrived at my house on the 45th day. According to the paper work it had sat there for 3 weeks waiting for a judge to sign it.
    I'd be talkin to that judge and give him what for ...

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Sure makes me happy I don't have to deal with that Crap.
    Constitutional Carry and getting Virginia out of the background check business are my top two priorities for the upcoming legislative season.

I've already contacted my Delegate about the sorry-azz State Police background check outfit and how we need to dump them and just go with the Fed system like most of the other states use.

Quote Originally Posted by DrMark View Post
    Constitutional Carry and getting Virginia out of the background check business are my top two priorities for the upcoming legislative season.

I've already contacted my Delegate about the sorry-azz State Police background check outfit and how we need to dump them and just go with the Fed system like most of the other states use.
    I'll second that.

Join us for Lobby Day if you're able.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Re: When should I contact the clerk of the court?

Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    I'll second that.

What's Lobby Day???

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    What's Lobby Day???

Most of the special interest groups including VCDL gather at the General Assembly Building on Martin Luther King Day, to twist the Legislators arms.
    Its a major annual event.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    What's Lobby Day???

Came in today, the day after I get all antsy. Lol

Banned
    Yea! Maybe the judge read the thread (not likely) ...

Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    I'll second that.

I'll certainly try.

I've participated in some, but I've also had to miss some.

In my experience, Lobby Day is always worth the time invested, both from a personal and a "big picture" perspective.

congrats

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Yea! Maybe the judge read the thread (not likely) ...
    Over here the Judge doesn't sign them, the Clerk does. And I wouldn't put it passed him.

Clock is ticking in Chesterfield.

I turned in my renewal 11/30 to Chesterfield. Last time they took 42 days. Let's see how long they wait this time.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Mine arrived at my house on the 45th day. According to the paper work it had sat there for 3 weeks waiting for a judge to sign it.
    I'd be talkin to that judge and give him what for ...
    Saying what exactly when you talk to the judge, and as for 'giving him what for' what do you mean by that? What does the letter of the law say is the time limit for approval? Do you really believe that running your mouth off at the judge is going to end well for you. Please have your camera recording your meeting and share it with us so we can see how it goes.