• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When should I contact the clerk of the court?

Kotyaer

Not entirely an OC topic, but I'd really rather not sign up for yet another forum to ask it...

I'm sitting here through day 36 of 45, kind of getting a little antsy. Was thinking about calling the clerk of the court to see if there were any issues with my CHP application. Should I just wait till day 45 after mail delivery (Around 1PM for me) or would a check-up call not hurt? Last thing I want to do is be a pest to the guy who hands out permission slips... I just want to make sure it didn't disappear in the mail system...

Also, do the courts send out the CHP in regular First Class Mail or is it sent out certified?

-Thanks, Koty

2a4all

Not entirely an OC topic, but I'd really rather not sign up for yet another forum to ask it...

I'm sitting here through day 36 of 45, kind of getting a little antsy. Was thinking about calling the clerk of the court to see if there were any issues with my CHP application. Should I just wait till day 45 after mail delivery (Around 1PM for me) or would a check-up call not hurt? Last thing I want to do is be a pest to the guy who hands out permission slips... I just want to make sure it didn't disappear in the mail system...

Also, do the courts send out the CHP in regular First Class Mail or is it sent out certified?

-Thanks, Koty
It's only approaching Christmas in our world, not within the court. I'd just wait. They're well within their time frame. They actually don't have to mail it until day 45.

AFIK, they'll likely send it 1st class mail.

Kotyaer

Thanks for the info.

Main reason for concern is that after Sandy, I was getting missent mail at my PO for places in Long Island, NY, Jersey, mainland VA, Maryland, Indiana... Just knowing that with my luck, my CHP was sent out to Alaska...

Also, would a natural disaster be a legitimate reason for it to be handled past 45 days? With how bad things were here, I wouldn't blame them, but it would be nice to know.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Thanks for the info.

Main reason for concern is that after Sandy, I was getting missent mail at my PO for places in Long Island, NY, Jersey, mainland VA, Maryland, Indiana... Just knowing that with my luck, my CHP was sent out to Alaska...

Also, would a natural disaster be a legitimate reason for it to be handled past 45 days? With how bad things were here, I wouldn't blame them, but it would be nice to know.
A friend of mine applied to Accomac and got his in a couple weeks. Probably wouldn’t hurt to give them a call. If you have any problems give me a call.
John;)

Kotyaer

Gave them a call, got the scripted response of "it usually takes 4-6 weeks" Guess I'll be the latter. Can't imagine they get too many applications to process...

They did say that Sandy didn't slow anything down. Could it be that I'm a recent transplant? I've read of people getting them in about a week and change in the rest of the state...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Speed of process seems to vary considerably by county. Some report getting their permits very swiftly (roughly a couple weeks), others wait the full 45 days.

I don't know if the police are required to do more than call the jurisdictions in which you formerly resided. A deputy clerk once told me that the cop will sometimes travel to the previous address and verify that it exists, but I don't know if that is compulsory.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Mine arrived at my house on the 45th day. According to the paper work it had sat there for 3 weeks waiting for a judge to sign it. Be patient and wait the 45 days. If it doesn't show up, head up to the courthouse an request (demand if necessary) a temporary permit.

My VA permit just expired so I got a PA permit (required to OC in a vehicle in PA) The reason I mention it here is because I took my application in and had my permit in hand about 30 minutes later. Sure beats all the pointless waiting.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
Sure makes me happy I don't have to deal with that Crap.

Constitutional Carry and getting Virginia out of the background check business are my top two priorities for the upcoming legislative season.

I've already contacted my Delegate about the sorry-azz State Police background check outfit and how we need to dump them and just go with the Fed system like most of the other states use.

2a4all

Constitutional Carry and getting Virginia out of the background check business are my top two priorities for the upcoming legislative season.

I've already contacted my Delegate about the sorry-azz State Police background check outfit and how we need to dump them and just go with the Fed system like most of the other states use.
I'll second that.

Join us for Lobby Day if you're able.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
What's Lobby Day???

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Most of the special interest groups including VCDL gather at the General Assembly Building on Martin Luther King Day, to twist the Legislators arms.
Its a major annual event.