Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 65

Thread: Cracker Barrel

  1. #1
    Regular Member onestar 50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    104

    Cracker Barrel

    If Cracker Barrel Corporation decide to post no weapons on theirs doors of the Restaurants
    and there is about 340000 cpls in the state of Mich. And some of these that open carry with cpl I was wondering of many would stop going to Cracker barrel all together

  2. #2
    Regular Member griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Okemos, MI
    Posts
    884
    What sign?

    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

  3. #3
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by BoiledFrogs View Post
    Only a few of the open carriers, hence the problem.
    Yup. Resistance is futile unless it is done by large groups. Have they posted something?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  4. #4
    Regular Member onestar 50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    104
    Not as yet. I talk to the main manager her in Monroe and he had nt heard nothing from the corp. level as yet.

  5. #5
    Regular Member griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Okemos, MI
    Posts
    884
    Why do you say, "not yet?" Is there some reason you expect them to? I never have any problems OCing at the Cracker Barrel in Okemos.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Troy, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,321
    i (and my wife) have open carried numerous times at cracker barrels in ohio and michigan (usually the st clair shores location). never had any issues. i hope i don't have to add this to my "no money" list.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

  7. #7
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    This is how ugly rumours start.....

    Someone should ask a moderator to kill this thread.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  8. #8
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    This is how ugly rumours start.....

    Someone should ask a moderator to kill this thread.
    ShadowBear could you kill this thread
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  9. #9
    Regular Member Ezerharden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Erie, MI
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    This is how ugly rumours start.....

    Someone should ask a moderator to kill this thread.
    Not an "ugly rumor", a fact at the Monroe MI Cracker Barrel, where I have OC'd several times of the past few years. This is a recent development (a month and a half or so) and yes, we are trying to get a straight answer out of corporate. I have an open complaint ticket I am working from, email and call weekly. Again not rumor, fact.
    Last edited by Ezerharden; 11-28-2012 at 12:42 AM.
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

    I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

    For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

  10. #10
    Regular Member onestar 50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    104
    I was stop outside of cracker barrel by one of the manager and she said they called someone and they said no guns. They would not let me in and they asked to people ask to leave before I got they with my family. So this is not a Rumours it happen to myself and other people also.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,929
    *sigh* I thought this was resolved on here months ago. Cracker Barrel corporate policy is to ask OC'ers to leave, but not CC'ers, on the premise that they "aren't anti gun, but visible guns make people nervous, so we don't want them exposed in our stores" (paraphrased.) IIRC, this is corporate policy, but some managers in some locations are choosing not to enforce it.

    That doesn't make it any less the official stance of the company, and spending money there sends a message that gun owners support it.


    Thread
    I emailed Cracker Barrel regarding wanting to hold a Open Carry event. This is the answer...

    Dear Mr. Sanderlin,

    Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with all of us here at Cracker Barrel Old Country Store. We're always pleased to hear from our guests.

    Open Carry Policy
    As we work to achieve our mission of Pleasing People, one of our top priorities is the safety and comfort of our guests, both external and internal. Because of this, and because it is our intent to provide our guests and employees with a relaxed, comfortable, family-oriented environment, we feel its important to review our open carry policy.

    Simply stated, our policy is that we will not seat or serve patrons who are openly carrying or wearing firearms unless the patrons are law enforcement officers, security guards, or uniformed military personnel.

    We look forward to seeing you in one of our locations again soon.

    Sincerely,

    Sandra Vance
    Guest Relations Representative
    Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, Inc
    Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    There is a lot more to this and I expect I will be on another "DO NOT TALK TO LIST....now...but there isn't much of a story other than they are anti now (Chippers and LEO's excepted"...but this is Corporate on the phone.

    I'll leave sleeping dogs lay as far as VCDL's source....It would cause problems and wouldn't add much.

    anyway, this is the essence of it:

    Thread
    "I received a copy of a Cracker Barrel internal policy memo from a source who will remain anonymous. The nutshell is that if a store manager wishes to he can enforce a company policy against open carry, asking the open carrier to return his gun to his vehicle, while saying (according to the memo), "We're making this request in order to accommodate our guests and employees who may be uncomfortable in the present of a fire arm (sic)." I think they should ask the guests who are uncomfortable with someone else exercising their Second Amendment rights to leave, not the gun owner who is minding his own business! I'm sick and tired of all this faux concern about somebody being *uncomfortable* about this, that or the other. If a person is uncomfortable about someone else's skin color or religious dress, should the "offender" be asked to leave? I hope not. Anyway concealed carry is not at issue for Cracker Barrel, only open carry. Just an FYI."
    Thread
    Went to Cracker Barrel this morning - 7-12-11, as my wife and I have done for almost 4 years now. We ordered, ate, and got our check. All of the sudden, a man in a blue shirt and radio on his side walked really close to me and said in a calm and low voice - "I don't know if you are law enforcement, but if you are not, our store policy is no guns." I did not confirm nor deny the law enforcement challenge, however, I told him that he would loose my business because of it. This time around, it was almost like they were trying to rush us out because we got our check JUST as we were finishing up, and as we left to pay, the blue shirt man (Known as B.J.) followed closely, as if we were criminals.

    Cracker Barrel Store #239
    Jul 12, 11 @ 7:44 AM
    Check closed at 8:10 AM $23.63

    No more from us - Cracker Barrel!

  12. #12
    Michigan Moderator Big Gay Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mason, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,954
    If you really want to send a message to Cracker Barrel corporate, what everyone needs to do is this:

    1. Go to a different restaurant that DOES allow OC.
    2. Make sure you keep a copy of the receipt.
    3. Send in all copies of the receipts you've saved up, once each month, along with a note or short letter telling Cracker Barrel Corp, this is how much money they could have made, if it wasn't for their attitude against lawful open carry.

    Naturally, any receipts that have credit card numbers, you should block those out All they need to know is how much money you spent some where else. You could even send a copy to your local Cracker Barrel if you want.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    221
    I like this idea, and this should spread to other than just Cracker Barrel, IE: stores, and businesses that show contempt for our rights.
    1+


    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    If you really want to send a message to Cracker Barrel corporate, what everyone needs to do is this:

    1. Go to a different restaurant that DOES allow OC.
    2. Make sure you keep a copy of the receipt.
    3. Send in all copies of the receipts you've saved up, once each month, along with a note or short letter telling Cracker Barrel Corp, this is how much money they could have made, if it wasn't for their attitude against lawful open carry.

    Naturally, any receipts that have credit card numbers, you should block those out All they need to know is how much money you spent some where else. You could even send a copy to your local Cracker Barrel if you want.

  14. #14
    Regular Member detroit_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    This is how ugly rumours start.....

    Someone should ask a moderator to kill this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    ShadowBear could you kill this thread
    jumping the gun a little guys? as someone who lives in monroe i am more than interested to see how this plays out, and i see absolutely no reason to "kill" this thread. in fact, it seems perfectly legit to me and anyone that has followed onestar's posts knows he's not one to spread BS or rumors
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

  15. #15
    Regular Member griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Okemos, MI
    Posts
    884
    As I have stated previously, my Cracker Barrel doesn't prohibit OC, or at least they haven't stopped me yet. If they ever do, I will reconsider going there.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

  16. #16
    Michigan Moderator Big Gay Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mason, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,954
    Quote Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
    I like this idea, and this should spread to other than just Cracker Barrel, IE: stores, and businesses that show contempt for our rights.
    1+
    That's the beauty of it, it can apply to just about any business that wants to deny us our rights.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    my Cracker Barrel doesn't prohibit OC
    What if corporate comes back with a definite policy of NO OC and your local manager is just ignoring the policy?

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Seems identical to the Costco issue.

    Corporate official policy is no OC, but CCW'ers are just spending their money there anyway. Thanks, guys.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  19. #19
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Seems identical to the Costco issue.

    Corporate official policy is no OC, but CCW'ers are just spending their money there anyway. Thanks, guys.
    I thought Costco's policy was zero carry?
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  20. #20
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    jumping the gun a little guys? as someone who lives in monroe i am more than interested to see how this plays out, and i see absolutely no reason to "kill" this thread. in fact, it seems perfectly legit to me and anyone that has followed onestar's posts knows he's not one to spread BS or rumors
    Further information clarifies the situation. His first post was pretty foggy.

    Probably would have helped if his first post detailed the entire situation, rather than a generalized question with no detail behind it.....
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  21. #21
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Lightbulb Some ideas to help I hope.

    Guys I hate to break it to you but this is all about "perception" and greed. Al's idea is a very good one; and should be our first course of action in my opinion. If that should fail the next option should be to organize "safety" protests outside of the cracker barrels near media outlets. Why? Today's media is fat, dumb, and lazy. It must be a "too easy" story often to make the news. Target their peak business hours i.e. weekends during the dinner rush. When asked why you are doing this? Make sure everyone is on the same page. Talking points: (1) if cracker barrel will not provide for our protection, then why should we be at the mercy of violent robbers? (2) State law allows for the carrying of firearms, why doesn't cracker barrel follow state law like other restaurant chains (Star Bucks, McDonald's, Arby's, Taco bell, etc..)

    Greed will go a long way in making their choice easier to follow state law. Armed security details get expensive. Perception - no business wants to have their utter lack of security exposed ever. Why? Because they don't want the public understanding that going there is simply a roll of the dice, and snake eyes could cost them their lives. This coupled with media attention will aid them into making the right choice, which is to follow state law.

    I know many here despise the idea of "getting in anti-2A establishments faces", to those I say: without motivation no one ever decided to change. Why would you think a business would be any different?
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 11-28-2012 at 08:49 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  22. #22
    Regular Member griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Okemos, MI
    Posts
    884
    OCed at the Cracker Barrel in Okemos tonight. No issues.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

  23. #23
    Regular Member griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Okemos, MI
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    this is all about "perception"...Perception
    I agree about perception, and I think if a bunch of "gun-totin' open carriers" get on the news by staging some sort of picket outside Cracker Barrel, the public perception of us will not be good.

    We need to be more professional, not less.

    If you want to inform the management that you will no longer eat there if he asks you to leave, fine. Be polite. You wouldn't start yellin' and carryin' on, would you? " 'elp, 'elp, I'm bein' oppressed!"
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

  24. #24
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    I thought Costco's policy was zero carry?
    Yes, but the letter posted here somewhere said something along the lines of "if you're concealing [successfully], we are ignorantly blissful." Obviously, that's an anecdotal paraphrase.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  25. #25
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I agree about perception, and I think if a bunch of "gun-totin' open carriers" get on the news by staging some sort of picket outside Cracker Barrel, the public perception of us will not be good.

    We need to be more professional, not less.

    If you want to inform the management that you will no longer eat there if he asks you to leave, fine. Be polite. You wouldn't start yellin' and carryin' on, would you? " 'elp, 'elp, I'm bein' oppressed!"

    Who said anything about being unprofessional? Not me. Your words.

    There were some who said the same thing about our fighting the ARTS BEATS & EATS illegal gun ban. "The public will turn on us." This will lead to Lansing doing away with preemption". Guess what? NONE of that came to be. The only thing we have to fear is fear its self folks.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 11-28-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: typo
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •