• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cracker Barrel

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
jumping the gun a little guys? as someone who lives in monroe i am more than interested to see how this plays out, and i see absolutely no reason to "kill" this thread. in fact, it seems perfectly legit to me and anyone that has followed onestar's posts knows he's not one to spread BS or rumors

Further information clarifies the situation. His first post was pretty foggy.

Probably would have helped if his first post detailed the entire situation, rather than a generalized question with no detail behind it.....:p

FreeInAZ

Some ideas to help I hope.

Guys I hate to break it to you but this is all about "perception" and greed. Al's idea is a very good one; and should be our first course of action in my opinion. If that should fail the next option should be to organize "safety" protests outside of the cracker barrels near media outlets. Why? Today's media is fat, dumb, and lazy. It must be a "too easy" story often to make the news. Target their peak business hours i.e. weekends during the dinner rush. When asked why you are doing this? Make sure everyone is on the same page. Talking points: (1) if cracker barrel will not provide for our protection, then why should we be at the mercy of violent robbers? (2) State law allows for the carrying of firearms, why doesn't cracker barrel follow state law like other restaurant chains (Star Bucks, McDonald's, Arby's, Taco bell, etc..)

Greed will go a long way in making their choice easier to follow state law. Armed security details get expensive. Perception - no business wants to have their utter lack of security exposed ever. Why? Because they don't want the public understanding that going there is simply a roll of the dice, and snake eyes could cost them their lives. This coupled with media attention will aid them into making the right choice, which is to follow state law.

I know many here despise the idea of "getting in anti-2A establishments faces", to those I say: without motivation no one ever decided to change. Why would you think a business would be any different?:confused:

Last edited:

griffin

this is all about "perception"...Perception

I agree about perception, and I think if a bunch of "gun-totin' open carriers" get on the news by staging some sort of picket outside Cracker Barrel, the public perception of us will not be good.

We need to be more professional, not less.

If you want to inform the management that you will no longer eat there if he asks you to leave, fine. Be polite. You wouldn't start yellin' and carryin' on, would you? " 'elp, 'elp, I'm bein' oppressed!"

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I thought Costco's policy was zero carry?

Yes, but the letter posted here somewhere said something along the lines of "if you're concealing [successfully], we are ignorantly blissful." Obviously, that's an anecdotal paraphrase.

FreeInAZ

I agree about perception, and I think if a bunch of "gun-totin' open carriers" get on the news by staging some sort of picket outside Cracker Barrel, the public perception of us will not be good.

We need to be more professional, not less.

If you want to inform the management that you will no longer eat there if he asks you to leave, fine. Be polite. You wouldn't start yellin' and carryin' on, would you? " 'elp, 'elp, I'm bein' oppressed!"

Who said anything about being unprofessional? Not me. Your words.

There were some who said the same thing about our fighting the ARTS BEATS & EATS illegal gun ban. "The public will turn on us." This will lead to Lansing doing away with preemption". Guess what? NONE of that came to be. The only thing we have to fear is fear its self folks.

Last edited:

griffin

Who said anything about being unprofessional? Not me. Your words.
You advocated protests outside Cracker Barrel, a private company, during peak business hours where the media would report on it. I view that as unprofessional.
There were some who said the same thing about our fighting the ARTS BEATS & EATS illegal gun ban. "The public will turn on us." NONE of that came to be.
This was before I was involved in the OC community. Did you hold public protests and pickets at the AB&E? Hold up signs? Is AB&E a private company like Cracker Barrel that is actually allowed by law to make that rule? (I believe the answer to that is, "No.")

FreeInAZ

Oh how quickly we forget our past... :(

You advocated protests outside Cracker Barrel, a private company, during peak business hours where the media would report on it. I view that as unprofessional.

This was before I was involved in the OC community. Did you hold public protests and pickets at the AB&E? Hold up signs? Is AB&E a private company like Cracker Barrel that is actually allowed by law to make that rule? (I believe the answer to that is, "No.")

No offense meant Griff, but since you are newer at OC you may not understand the genesis of modern OC. In your mind the very same people who originally showed up outside of Star Bucks a few years back were unprofessional cry babies who cried discrimination. In my mind they were people trying protect theirs and others rights. Since their actions and Starbuck's decision to follow state laws, many other corporations have followed their lead. Please take a stroll down memory lane with me.

Excerpt from Huffington post via AP article dated 2/28/2010

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/28/starbucks-gun-policy-refu_n_480062.html

The advocacy group OpenCarry.org, a leading group encouraging the demonstrations, applauded Starbucks in a statement for "deciding not to discriminate against lawful gun carriers."

"Starbucks is seen as a responsible corporation and they're seen as a very progressive corporation, and this policy is very much in keeping with that," said John Pierce, co-founder of OpenCarry.org. "If you're going to support individual rights, you have to support them all. I applaud them, and I've gone out of my way personally to let every manager of every Starbucks I pass know that."

Yep Griff, John must be one of those cry babies you are talking about. :confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
this whole thing is stupid. cracker barrel keeps loaded rifles up on the wall in their stores... if they cared that people were nervous around visible guns, they wouldn't have loaded guns on their walls.

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
USMC firearm safety rule #1:
Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.

...unless i personally have inspected and cleared that rifle. it's loaded.

Last edited:

griffin

No offense meant Griff, but since you are newer at OC you may not understand the genesis of modern OC. In your mind the very same people who originally showed up outside of Star Bucks a few years back were unprofessional cry babies who cried discrimination.
On the contrary. I read your quoted article and I see nothing in there where people stood outside of Starbucks with signs or pickets or staged any type of occupying, public protest with media to disturb them during peak business hours such as you are advocating for Cracker Barrel.

It seems like they did the same thing I was advocating--just going about your regular business openly carrying. In some cases OCers did this together. But in no case did I read that they held public protests outside of private businesses in an effort to garner media attention and hurt the business' "bottom line" to pressure them to change their stance. In fact it was just the opposite. If a business asked them to leave, they did so and went elsewhere.

This is exactly the behavior I suggested in my previous post.

You also failed to answer my question about AB&E. Did you hold public protests and pickets at the AB&E? Hold up signs? It is also worth noting that AB&E is not a private company like Cracker Barrel and is not allowed by law to ban the lawful carry of firearms.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I called a supervisor at Cracker Barrel and this is what was concluded.

They have a policy on open carry, if a manager sees the firearm they'll ask you to return the firearm to the vehicle. There is no policy on conceal carry, out of sight out of mind. The supervisor wouldn't comment further than, "I can't see conceal carry."

End of conversation summary.

So, open carry is off limits at cracker barrel. They do follow state law though, so if conceal carry is allowed, then it's allowed at a cracker barrel.

To you all: You have a choice: conceal, leave your gun in the car or go elsewhere.
I guess I'll just go else where. :)