• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

High School Public Policy Paper **NEED OPINIONS**

bustown88

Hi guys, this is my first post, so if I'm overlooking something or am in entirely the wrong place let me know...
But otherwise, I'm a senior in high school in central Ohio and in my government class I have to write a public policy paper that I will introduce to my local, state, or national legislature in an attempt to pass a law. I chose to focus on reducing the age at which you can purchase or be given a handgun in Ohio from 21 to 18. First of all, I'm not just doing this so I can go out an buy a handgun and throw it on my hip, because at the moment I am seventeen. To me it just makes more sense, as I know the age for open carry here is 18. What are the pros and cons that you guys can think of and any supporting or contrary evidence that I should include in this paper. I'm trying to write this paper so it has a legitimate chance at being at least looked at by a member of or even introduced into the Ohio House. So I suppose basically I'm asking why, if any reason that I can cite, is the current age at which you can buy a handgun in Ohio set at 21 and why would lowering it to 18 be more beneficial or worse for the state or OC/CC in the state?

Anything else that you guys want to mention or any opinions that you guys have are welcomed and encouraged, as I'm just looking to make my argument stronger and more compelling.

Thanks so much in advance!

BT88

Hareuhal

While I am entirely supportive of more rights for younger adults, I cannot say whether or not I think it would be a good thing to lower the limit.

For example, I do find it to be dumb that our military members under the age of 21 are old enough to fight in a war, but not old enough to drink alcohol when they return home. Being that I joined the military at the age of nineteen, I understand this perfectly.

However, when I was younger I despised that older adults looked down at me when I was seventeen / eighteen / nineteen, I was a mature, responsible and productive member of society. Yet now that I am older, I have started to realize that many "kids" that age ARE not ready for such responsibilities. This may be a product of the way our society raises them, such as baby-ing them their whole lives, but I feel that the majority of those who are that age are not mature enough or responsible enough to handle a weapon on a daily basis, OC or CC.

Of course there will be some who are, and there will be some who are even younger and have been taught properly (such as your children, MWSY). But I feel that as a whole, there may be a lot of issues.

Granted, those who seek OC/CC would hopefully be intelligent enough and mature enough to do everything properly (especially for CC due to the class requirement.). In any case, sometimes I wish the driving age was raised. There are many drivers around the age of seventeen who I believe cannot properly operate their vehicle in a safe manner.

Though that is another story altogether. This is of course just my opinion.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

bustown88

That makes perfect sense, I understand entirely where you're coming from. If you were to perhaps step up the requirements such as perhaps a psychological evaluation or other and possibly more in-depth process in order to make this work or something along those lines to insure that while it may not entirely abolish the ability for undesirable people to obtain handguns between the age of 18 and 21, it would make it at least the process more involved for people to obtain handguns, thus potentially deterring them. So I guess what I'm asking, is are there any stipulations or catches that you would like to see in affect if this was passed? Overall I'm looking both for those questions that people may have about it and reasons that they may not vote in favor of the bill, so that I can make compromises and make people more comfortable with the legislation if it is passed.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and help me out!

BT88

davidmcbeth

Banned
The limit on alcohol is a different subject but I don't think that there should be ANY age limit on this activity (it should be a parental choice, not a government forcing it down our throats).

I also think that the age limit of a handgun purchase of 21 is also of the same nature but I know that no age limit is going to fly in reality (unless I'm made dictator). But the argument for age 18 maybe sound.

I think, to prove your point, you would need to show the following:

1) that the difference between injuries and deaths from the ages of 18,19,20 (in places or times that allow a 18 yr old to use the handgun in the manner you are examining) would equal that of 21,22,23 year olds (in places or times that do not allow younger adults to have)

If there is no difference then it is not a matter of age per se but one of experience...then if they raised it to 25 for example, the injury and death rates would likely be the same if #1 holds true.

You can make arguments about being 18 and in the service etc but those are just arguments ... you need facts to support your hypothesis that the 3 year difference would have no effect.

http://www.cdc.gov/ViolencePrevention/NVDRS/datacollectionaccess.html

You can start at the link above to begin to gather data (you can limit by age there).

You may need to examine younger gun owners in a state or other country that allows 16-20 yr olds to have them.

Finding information out in respect to injuries and deaths related to handguns is good to poor ... I would expect the effort to prove #1 is going to take some time and searching.

And you may find out that #1 is not true ...

Last edited:

bustown88

David, thanks so much! this is the most helpful one so far!
Since you seem very knowledgable on the subject (this extends to anyone who want's to chime in on this) please PM me if you wouldn't mind me citing what you are saying as an "expert" in my paper, as it's a requirement for me to have an "expert interview" but if not, that's entirely fine, but it would be greatly appreciated!

So far, the potential issues that I and other people have thought of are;
Maturity
Psychological State
Regulatory Issues
Young gun owners not knowing the laws/rules/limitations to what they can an cannot do with their rifle/handgun in public or even in private/at home

So basically you can chalk two of the three up to experience and knowledge and the other one could happen just as easily with a 55 year old as with an 18 year old...

Thanks again! And it doesn't matter if someone already said what you were planning on saying, add it anyways because then I can judge how many people may feel the same way and figure out how to counter those doubts... Keep the replies rolling in!!!

BT88

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Two thoughts.

1. What a way for a school to indoctrinate students--teach them that laws are the solution to social problems by getting students to write policy papers. A teacher interested in freedom would require the students to find a law that needed to be repealed as an unjustified intrusion on liberty or lacking authority in the state constitution.

2. Heh, heh, heh. What a way to harrass legislators--bury them under proposals from every high school government student in the state.

"Miss Aide, have you finished those letters to my donors?"

"No, Delegate Spend. I'm still wading through the 1,273 proposals from your high school government classes."

:)

bustown88

Two thoughts.

1. What a way for a school to indoctrinate students--teach them that laws are the solution to social problems by getting students to write policy papers. A teacher interested in freedom would require the students to find a law that needed to be repealed as an unjustified intrusion on liberty or lacking authority in the state constitution.

2. Heh, heh, heh. What a way to harrass legislators--bury them under proposals from every high school government student in the state.

"Miss Aide, have you finished those letters to my donors?"

"No, Delegate Spend. I'm still wading through the 1,273 proposals from your high school government classes."

Hahaha well thanks for actually replying to my question, but I don't think that many other schools in my area do this, and I go to a school of less than 400 kids from the entire central Ohio region, in which there are 2 government classes with a combined headcount of less than 40, writing letters to the local, state, and national levels. Also, seeing as I'm considering a career in Law, I'm actually attempting to put a fair amount of work into this, and have it be as factually and legally correct as it can be, so that IF I get a response from ANY of the politicians I send it to, or in the ideal scenario, some form of this is passed in the state of Ohio, then I can use it for applications to law school and/or jobs.

So if you have an opinion that is relevant to my question, whether in support of, or against my legislation, I would absolutely love to hear it. However, if you're just trying to pick on me because I'm putting time and effort into attempting to change something that I feel should be changed about the laws of the state I live in, as well as gain experience in the field that I wish to go into professionally, I find that extremely petty.

So one more time, I'm not trying to offend you, and I'm not trying to get banned on my first day on the forum. I'm just trying to gain knowledge and research a school project... So if you wish to help an Ohioan high-schooler out with aforementioned school project, I couldn't thank you enough, and if not, then I completely understand. Either way, it's safe to say that I won't be wasting any more of my time writing a long-winded rebuttals defending my school and my decisions.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Hahaha well thanks for actually replying to my question, but I don't think that many other schools in my area do this, and I go to a school of less than 400 kids from the entire central Ohio region, in which there are 2 government classes with a combined headcount of less than 40, writing letters to the local, state, and national levels. Also, seeing as I'm considering a career in Law, I'm actually attempting to put a fair amount of work into this, and have it be as factually and legally correct as it can be, so that IF I get a response from ANY of the politicians I send it to, or in the ideal scenario, some form of this is passed in the state of Ohio, then I can use it for applications to law school and/or jobs.

So if you have an opinion that is relevant to my question, whether in support of, or against my legislation, I would absolutely love to hear it. However, if you're just trying to pick on me because I'm putting time and effort into attempting to change something that I feel should be changed about the laws of the state I live in, as well as gain experience in the field that I wish to go into professionally, I find that extremely petty.

So one more time, I'm not trying to offend you, and I'm not trying to get banned on my first day on the forum. I'm just trying to gain knowledge and research a school project... So if you wish to help an Ohioan high-schooler out with aforementioned school project, I couldn't thank you enough, and if not, then I completely understand. Either way, it's safe to say that I won't be wasting any more of my time writing a long-winded rebuttals defending my school and my decisions.

Oh, no. No picking. Just making side observations about schools and government.

Please don't take it personally. You'll find there is no requirement for posters to stay rigidly on-topic. And, poster's don't own their threads. This is not meant as a counter-attack; its meant to show that any given post may not be something directed at the original poster. Don't ask me how I learned this.

bustown88

Oh, no. No picking. Just making side observations about schools and government.

Please don't take it personally. You'll find there is no requirement for posters to stay rigidly on-topic. And, poster's don't own their threads. This is not meant as a counter-attack; its meant to show that any given post may not be something directed at the original poster. Don't ask me how I learned this.

I'm so sorry! I assumed it was more intentionally malicious than it was..
I suppose I'm just trying to get the most opinion I can in as little time as possible seeing as this was just introduced to us today, and I have about one and a half weeks to write a final draft 5 page brief of the bill I'm proposing, have it sent to at least two political officials, hear back, and present my proposition and all progress in front of an expert on the topic of the bill or of the Ohio legislature itself...

JmE

Article 1, Section 4 of the Ohio Constitution states: The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security; but standing armies, in time of peace, are dangerous to liberty, and shall not be kept up; and the military shall be in strict subordination to the civil power. (emphasis added) Nothing in there excludes those people (adults) that are of the age 18 but not yet 21. Therefore, Ohio laws or even government policy that limits an 18, 19 or 20 year old from possession and bearing of a handgun for their "defense and security" in Ohio would be in violation of that individual's rights under said Constitution. AFAIK, Ohio doesn't overtly block possession and bearing of arms by those in that three year range. However, in practice law enforcement might harass them out of ignorance or willful disobedience to their oath of office. It's the federal prohibition on handgun purchases by those under 21 year of age that Ohio cowardly hides behind; in my humble opinion. In other words, someone in that age range from 18 to 20 could posses and bear a handgun in Ohio but would have no legal way to purchase it here. If said person acquired a handgun legally while a resident of another state and then moved to Ohio, they could theoretically carry that firearm like any other open carrier. So... one of the points in favor of policy NOT prohibiting those adults from possession and the bearing of arms is that it simply is unconstitutional to deprive them of that right in Ohio. When the State of Ohio capitulates to a federal law in violation of its own state constitution then what good is a state constitution anyway?

Here is a link for a thread about an 18 year old purchasing a handgun in Ohio. It's from a few months back and the Ohio Attorney General link no longer works. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?105597-Purchasing-a-handgun-at-18-years-old

Last edited:

bustown88

This is perfect! Exactly the kind of opinions I am looking for! Again, if you or anyone else on here are willing to be an "expert witness" in my proposal, That would be absolutely brilliant and please PM me with any of your info you feel comfortable sharing and anything you may want to add... I'll also definitely upload a copy of both my rough draft and final copy of my proposal before sending it off to the politicians.

BT88

JmE

If I were to write something about it, an outline like this comes to mind for a start. Hopefully, it can add to any other ideas posted.

I. Introduction
II. Background/history (Including the Federal Constitution 2nd Amendment)
- One of the hallmarks of a free people is their individual right to keep and bear arms. Aren't 18-20 year old young adults not free people?
- Shall not be infringed
- Recent SCOTUS rulings that support RKBA as an individual right.
III. Ohio Constitution right to keep and bear arms
- If Ohio capitulates to these federal laws in violation of the Ohio Constitution, how much of a guarantee of rights is our constitution? Are the rights protected by it, in practice, only suggestions? What about Ohio oaths of office; don't they swear to uphold the laws and Constitution of the State of Ohio?
IV. 18-20 year old can be drafted in times of war, fight, and die. "Dangerous" equipment of war operated and under the direct control of these young adults
V. They are expected to carry the same responsibilities as anyone 21 and up.
- 18-20 year old can start a family, enter into debts (mortgages, credit cards, child support, car loans, etc), are tried as adults (can be executed), etc.
- They can purchase, posses, and operate equipment that statistically can be more dangerous than handguns --- Automobiles.
- They VOTE!
VI. They may often have a greater need to defend themselves
- Most often just starting out on careers or in the working world, they can likely only afford to live in "less secure" neighborhoods.
X. Conclusion
- Ohio following federal handgun age purchasing laws that infringe upon our young Ohioan's basic protected right is repugnant to liberty and affront to Ohio's own Constitution.

MKEgal

Citizen... be nice to the kid. :rolleyes:
Kid, if Citizen was being malicious you would know about it. There would be no doubt. And he'd probably do it without breaking any forum rules. (Well, maybe a wee bit of name-calling.) One benefit of being intelligent & having a sizeable vocabulary.

BTW, do you realize it's legal under federal law for an 18-20yo to buy a firearm in a private sale, or be given a gift? Is Ohio law so much different from federal law in that regard?
(Whoops... yeah, I see it is. What a crock. I'd push that - bring OH in line with federal code.)
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.21 Improperly Furnishing Firearms to a Minor
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.211 Underage Purchase of Firearm or Handgun
Notice though that they address purchasing. So receiving one as a gift would be kosher.

If you want the federal code, here's a copy of 18USC922.

bustown88 said:
If you were to perhaps step up the requirements such as perhaps a psychological evaluation or other and possibly more in-depth process ... it would make it at least the process more involved for people to obtain handguns, thus potentially deterring them
I'm completely against that idea, because:
1) it could so very easily be expanded to other adults, further restricting their rights.
2) laws don't stop criminals. No law ever enacted has been shown to have any effect on lowering the crime rate.

2005, American Journal of Preventive Medicine
This report presents findings about the effectiveness of firearms laws in preventing violence. Studies of the following firearms laws were included in the review: bans on specified firearms or ammunition; restrictions on firearms acquisition; waiting periods for firearms acquisition; firearms registration; licensing of firearms owners; “shall issue” carry laws that allow people who pass background checks to carry concealed weapons; child access prevention laws; zero tolerance laws for firearms in schools; and combinations of firearms laws. The Task Force found the evidence available from identified studies was insufficient to determine the effectiveness of any of the firearms laws reviewed singly or in combination.

2007, Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy
discusses the (non-)relationship between the strictness of firearms laws & the murder & suicide rates in various countries.

Here's an article explaining the legal basis behind cops having no duty to protect you.

You might want to browse http://www.handgunlaw.us/ to see which states issue licenses to adults under 21, or don't require a license at all. I'm not sure if they give info on age to carry or purchase, but they do link to each state's official websites & carry-related info.

Then perhaps use http://www.ucrdatatool.gov/ to compare the overall rate of crime, or at least the rate of violent crime, from those states to neighboring states with more restrictive laws.

Here's where you can look up Ohio laws: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc

bustown88 said:
this was just introduced to us today, and I have about one and a half weeks to write a final draft 5 page brief of the bill I'm proposing, have it sent to at least two political officials, hear back, and present my proposition and all progress in front of an expert on the topic of the bill or of the Ohio legislature itself...
That is completely unreasonable, everything after sending it to the 2 politicians.
I doubt they'd move that fast, other than to send a form "thank you for writing, please send money" letter.
You could definitely post your ideas here. Some people are more expert than others, but as a whole we do pretty well.

bustown88

Citizen... be nice to the kid. :rolleyes:
Kid, if Citizen was being malicious you would know about it. There would be no doubt. And he'd probably do it without breaking any forum rules. (Well, maybe a wee bit of name-calling.) One benefit of being intelligent & having a sizeable vocabulary.

Yeah again my wording was not quite spot on with that bit...

And I agree with this being a little unreasonable, but it's really nothing out of the ordinary for my school, being the original STEM school in Ohio, and operating on 4 classes a semester. This is basically our final, but I think as long as I can get it out and at least make sure whoever comes to my presentation is familiar with it, I won't get into too much trouble....

MKEgal, Thanks for all of the links, those will definitely make for a compelling argument!
And as far as te Psych eval stuff, I realized that older gun owners might not necessarily be a fan of making a handgun harder to obtain, I just figured that it might be nice to include something so everyone who disagrees with this proposition looses their **** about Aurora or something...

I'll keep running with the stuff that you guys are throwing out here, it's really gonna make this better than it was going to be! If you still have anything to add, please do it and otherwise I'll keep you guys posted as to progress!

bustown88

Yes'm.

Sorry, if I razzed you too much, Bustown.

Nah it's my fault entirely from jumping to conclusions, and then further insulting you... This time I wish to clarify that I offer my sincere apology for that whole ordeal.

BT88

Malcolm

Good luck.

May I say how impressed I am for you choosing such a noble topic. quite unexpected for someone in your age bracket (no offense intended). I believe this could be the beginning of a journey through the narrow gate. There was a good post earlier on about Ohio hiding behind federal law. I think that would be a great place to start. When dealing with attorneys and politicians, it necessary to speak their language. Some of the other gentleman are right that empty arguments will get you nowhere in a hurry, not to mention a poor grade. The language to speak is the law, the intricacies and the loop holes therein. Will you be posting the paper after its completion? I (and most likely others) would really enjoy reading it. One more thing, I recommend not being too aggressive. Men, especially men in power, don't like their ego's to be insulted.

-M